Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

New? Sure Electronics ADAU1701 Module
New? Sure Electronics ADAU1701 Module
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2016, 07:45 AM   #11
camelator is offline camelator  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxx510 View Post
Is there a cheaper(than $99) prebuilt programmer or PCB available for these?

There is no pin description so difficult to say....
It should be possible to program it with a raspberry pi.
I've posted something about that recently.
Old 8th August 2016, 04:13 AM   #12
Foxx510 is offline Foxx510  Australia
diyAudio Member

Cheers guys - looks like free USBi is the best bet for Windows programming.
Old 8th August 2016, 05:37 PM   #13
ernperkins is offline ernperkins  United States
diyAudio Member

It would be nice to have the freeDSP daughterboard (shield) that plugs into the USBi. Cable socket, status LEDs, etc. That's why I was wondering about a group build/buy of that board. All the documentation (gerbers, masks, etc.) are at freeDSP.
Old 16th September 2016, 09:21 PM   #14
easp is offline easp
diyAudio Member

Back on the original topic.

I decided to order one of these today.

I'd been reluctant because: 1) I couldn't find anyone else's hands-on impressions 2) I wasn't sure I wanted to take on the expense (for a the programmer HW) and effort of creating custom firmware.

I realized though that the stock-firmware is an adjustable subwoofer crossover, which is something I need right now. I expect it will take a couple of weeks to get here. I'll post when it arrives and I've had a chance to try it out.
Old 22nd September 2016, 12:04 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelator View Post
... I think there are mistake in the product description.
Program port looks wrong and equals to extension kit connector
The program port on the board is 6 pins. Here are the signals as printed on the board:

RESET, SB001, GND, WP, SCL and SDA

Seems to be a subset of the 10 pin FreeDSP USBi header. The Sure description mentions using a 10 to 6 pin cable to connect to the program port. Not sure about the SB001 signal. Any ideas?

I've been pestering Sure for the documentation they mention in the product description. I was told I'd get it this week, but so far nothing.
Old 22nd September 2016, 05:49 PM   #16
easp is offline easp
diyAudio Member

That was quick. My eval board + adapter came yesterday. I haven't had a chance to try out the default firmware yet.

I'll have to add my voice to the request for documentation with an email.
Old 23rd September 2016, 02:05 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

The only response I've received is from the Sure Tech Support via Skype - and that's been very spotty. I also sent 5 e-mails with no response. Wontom (the board manufacturer) has a website at wontom.com, but no content yet. I also check the Sure download site occasionally, but again nothing for the ADAU1701 board yet. Sigh....
Old 23rd September 2016, 07:21 AM   #18
easp is offline easp
diyAudio Member

I'll try Skype tomorrow.

I was looking more closely at the limited (and outdated) documentation and it appears the DSP chip actually has two stereo output channels and the board exposes both of them, even though the expansion board only exposes two-stereo channels plus sub. It also looks like the available GPIO pins can be used for I2S.
Old 30th September 2016, 10:49 AM   #19
Foxx510 is offline Foxx510  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernperkins View Post
The program port on the board is 6 pins. Here are the signals as printed on the board:

RESET, SB001, GND, WP, SCL and SDA

Seems to be a subset of the 10 pin FreeDSP USBi header. The Sure description mentions using a 10 to 6 pin cable to connect to the program port. Not sure about the SB001 signal. Any ideas?

I've been pestering Sure for the documentation they mention in the product description. I was told I'd get it this week, but so far nothing.
SB001 isn't SBOOT by any chance? That looks like a T rather than a 1 to me, but I might be wrong, it's pretty blurry..
Old 9th October 2016, 09:40 PM   #20
psynapse is offline psynapse  France
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I have one of these boards. The six pin connector , J11, is (I believe)
1 I2C SDA
2 I2C SCL
3 Write Protect
4 Ground
5 Self Boot
6 Reset

All of which correspond to the 10 pin header definitions.

Note that MP2/3/8/9 are tied to the wipers on the 4 pots.

You can use the freeusbi connector (which works in conjunction with a Cypress EZ USB board). Personally I have used a Cypress EZ USB board, through level shifters .... a quick way to duplicate the FreeUSBi circuit.

My 2 problems are:-
* There is absolutely no documentation out there, as others have noted and despite comments to the contrary on the sure website.
* The crystal on my board is a 12.000Mhz and not a 12.288Mhz, making the whole thing run at a non standard frequency. There are no jumpers, so I propose to unsolder the tiny crystal and squirt in 48*256khz or 44.1*256khz

Last edited by psynapse; 9th October 2016 at 10:05 PM.

New? Sure Electronics ADAU1701 ModuleHide this!Advertise here!