Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

New? Sure Electronics ADAU1701 Module
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2018, 12:25 PM   #151
Neil Davis is offline Neil Davis  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orto View Post
Neil I would be really interested in your project with a touchscreen to control functions. I like to build small mono bluetooth speakers and one with a touchscreen would be really cool. Are these boards capable of room correction?
The capabilities of the DSP load I am using are outlined in Article 12 at Audiodevelopers. It's got a 9-band equalizer for room correction, a couple of different bass enhancement algorithms, and some "custom" filters that can be used to tame other room or driver response anomalies. But the bulk of the processing in the DSP configuration I'm using is dedicated to implementing a stereo 3-way crossover, with various slopes and crossover points. One of the crossover options is "none", so you don't need to use the crossover biquads, but if you are willing to write your own SigmaStudio code those crossover biquads could be used for extensive room correction/EQ for full-range drivers.

There is no app or other software to automatically adjust the response, but the ADAU1701 has some built-in tone generation capability that could be used for that application. I haven't tried using those DSP blocks, but it might be fun to try.

I like those Nextion touch screen displays, but overall its cheaper and easier to add a Bluetooth adapter and use a cell phone to control the DSP. The Nextion displays are reasonably priced, but it's difficult mounting them. ITEAD has some 3D printed bezels that make mounting easier, but so far I haven't found an easy way to add them to a speaker. You need to be able to easily remove the LCD display because they get programmed by inserting an SDHC card into the socket on the back of the board. Any time you add a new capability you will need to reprogram the micro on the LCD display, so you need easy access to that SDHC card socket.

I'll post some more pictures of the LCD display with a JAB3-50 amplifier on Audiodevelopers in an upcoming article.
Old 4th April 2018, 09:18 AM   #152
suprajari is offline suprajari
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, novice here. I got my ADAU1701 with JAB3 working last night. Was pretty easy as there's lots of good info here. Thanks.

After I re-programmed my JAB3 with ADAU1701 (easy test, just adding two volume controls, works fine), I can't use my potentiometers on JAB3 anymore. I read that re-programming is the reason for that, but is there a way to get them back?

Thanks for info, especially Neil, I'm reading your "active speaker articles" with joy

-Sup
Old 5th April 2018, 03:20 AM   #153
Neil Davis is offline Neil Davis  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprajari View Post
...but is there a way to get them back?
Post #144 has a link that includes a JAB3 folder. Open that with SigmaStudio and you should be able to restore the original code.

Quote:
Thanks for info, especially Neil, I'm reading your "active speaker articles" with joy
-Sup
Glad to hear that
Old 5th April 2018, 07:13 AM   #154
suprajari is offline suprajari
diyAudio Member

Excellent!

I've looked all Carl's videos and actually found the file from his comments on one tutorial (it had typos, but I fixed them and dl'ed the file yesterday...and had absolutely no idea what it was, but looking at it now)

But I have a questions (any info appreciated as usual):

What I'm doing at the moment is that I have ICP1 connected to PC's USB and programmer cable between ICP1 and JAB3. I have extension cable for 3.5mm input and have my mobile connectec to it, which plays premium Spotify.

1. When I was playing music from PC's SB X-Fi with 3.5mm, I have loud background noise when USB was connected to ICP1. Is this "galvanic connection"-noise?

2. After reading few different ways (forums/Carl) of compiling and downloading code to JAB3, I'm bit puzzled. When I have all pieces connected (JAB3, ICP1 via USB), I can simply compile code and download it. There's a few sec pause on the music, but then JAB3 wakes up and I can turn knobs and try swicthes. What am I missing here? Carl's video tells me to have "tweezers to shortcut JAB3" and "press reset after download". Other tells me to turn switch on ICP1 from 1 to 2 and after download turn back to 1. Mine works without those?

3. If I press reset on JAB3, it doesn't have sound until I disconnect ICP1. Is this normal?

4. Not sure about this...I have simple schema, where I have two speakers connected to JAB3. When I create a code which has dynamic bass or loudness etc to increase bass, the bass gets stronger only if I lower sample rate frequency. When it's default 48.1, sound it pretty flat. By changing rate to 32 (and propagate) , bass gets lot stronger. I got this tip from other forum (?), but can't explain this.

EDIT: This is the tip (it's about ADAU1701):

dsp - Lack of bass with higher sampling rates - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange

This is my first touch to DSP and I love this! Next thing is trying out BT-module for JAB3 and play with JAB2+extensions....

Cheers,

Sup

Last edited by suprajari; 5th April 2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11th April 2018, 03:51 PM   #155
slinbin is offline slinbin  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi Sorokin
Im in the same situation.
That is; whising I knew the answers, especially to your questions 1,2 and 3, did you find out ?
alternatively or maybe even better can I use all 4 ports on the Sure AA-AP23122 (no amp on board) with 4 external amps ?
A new quastion: will the problems regarding using the I2S digital input be any easyer if I strictly only want input (no output) ?
Old 20th September 2018, 01:54 AM   #156
earsofgold is offline earsofgold
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psynapse View Post
GB, As promised I have checked audio through my card. All channels function (I connected direct to the 10 way connector, because I do not have a daughter board).

Neil, As you predicted 6dB insertion loss.

All, the shipped firmware is indeed a 2 way cross over. I have not had time to pot twiddle, the attached graph is as the card came out of the box. Traces are basically loop bypass (flat) and the two outputs (L/R channels pretty much identical). Dig those crazy resonances in the sub-woofer output .... good job that your woofer cannot reproduce HF eh
Just curious how you generated those charts. Is that REW?
Old 6th October 2018, 10:35 AM   #157
Nenola is offline Nenola  Finland
diyAudio Member

I'm making a simple setup with this board including stereo to mono mixer, how can I tell what output pin is the signal going to? It says "Output 1, DAC0" in sigma studio schematic at the moment.

And should I use the same SGND-pin for input and output?
Old 6th October 2018, 10:47 AM   #158
avtech23 is offline avtech23  Australia
Certifiably addicted to DIY.
diyAudio Member

Anyone else having trouble accessing the Sure Electronics site?

I try to go to sure-electronics.net/download and all I get is random characters.
The ever growing project list.. :NAP140 Clone, NAD 3020i & 3225PE, JLH1969, TDA2050, Fender 5F2A Princeton, NE5532 Preamp | : VSQC Phunk Style, Retro 50W | : Apex AX-14 | SHPA | TGM-10 | TDA7265 (Last in line)...maybe
Old 7th October 2018, 10:54 PM   #159
ernperkins is offline ernperkins  United States
diyAudio Member

I get the same thing, but I never found anything for the ADAU1701 before. Are you looking for anything in particular?
Old 9th October 2018, 11:38 AM   #160
avtech23 is offline avtech23  Australia
Certifiably addicted to DIY.
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernperkins View Post
I get the same thing, but I never found anything for the ADAU1701 before. Are you looking for anything in particular?
I was after the product sheet for a TDA2050 amp, product AK31161. I printed a copy when I built it but want to compare their schematic with the datasheet.

I found an active file directory, Index of /rf,audio, but nothing for the ADAU1701 there and only the datasheet for my AK31161.

No response from Sure through their website or their ebay account so don't know what the go is.
The ever growing project list.. :NAP140 Clone, NAD 3020i & 3225PE, JLH1969, TDA2050, Fender 5F2A Princeton, NE5532 Preamp | : VSQC Phunk Style, Retro 50W | : Apex AX-14 | SHPA | TGM-10 | TDA7265 (Last in line)...maybe

New? Sure Electronics ADAU1701 ModuleHide this!Advertise here!