Soekris: Sonics? Comparisons to? & Other Stuff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Lesson learned. Never buy largish quantities of a gen1 product unless you know what you're really getting into. I waited till v2 before buying a pair of them. I was well aware of what I was getting into when I bought a v1 from the first batch. It really wasn't a big deal to mod the vref anyway.

The biggest issue of all with the v1 was the power-off thump that had the ability to kill loudspeakers yet that had absolutely nothing to do with Soren's initial promises of reference quality DAC. As with any new architecture there *will* be issues.

I have bought version 1 products from several vendors, like Tripath, Hypex, PS Audio, etc. without a problem but your point is well taken and indeed, a mistake I won't repeat.

I do appreciate the offer from Soekris and look forward to reporting on the results.

Last edited:
Update- I received the dac boards back from Soekris. There wasn't an invoice detailing what was done- Soren, can you please detail the work that was done, either here or by PM? Thanks again.

Updated to match shipping rev1, see post #3276 & #3108. Hardware updates:

vref capacitors changed to 47u (red on drawing)
feedback capacitor changed to 499 ohm resistor (orange on drawing)
series resistor changed to 0.1 ohm (blue on drawing)
27.4K ohms resistor added to reduce plop

Firmware updated to newest version as available on website.

dam1021 v1 - The first one, really need the vref mod
dam1021 v2 - vref fixed, improved power on/off mute
dam1021 v3 - custom resistors, more vref capacitors
dam1021 v4 - new output buffers

v2 might improve with a little more vref capacitance, otherwise no mods are needed on v3 & v4. You should of course always use latest firmware.

Is this vref stuff because of the on and off plop?
Is this plop gone in V4?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.