Building with the Soekris dam1121

Soekris 1121 & 300B HPA

Wahooo! I'm in business. Just finished hooking up and testing my 300B headphone amp with intergrated DAM 1121 module. The HPA is a scratch built (and tweaked) version of the Transcendent Masterpiece

Worked first time and I've been enjoying a quick canter through various tracks from my music library while sitting at my work bench.

The first thing I noticed is that it's completely silent, such that I could hear the PC fan (not particlarly loud) even with my headphones on. Initial impression of the sound quality is extremely positive. I have some chores now but I'll have an extended listen later and hopefully try it using the USB Audio Pro app on my smartphone too.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

For a board to use its own input, it must be master. But a master will not disable its oscillator, which are required to use an external clock.

It don't sound that complicated to implement a master mode with oscillator disabled, the problem with all changes are testing and verifying....

Of course you could just remove all onboard oscillators.... Then connect the external oscillator to one of the master, it will then recognize and use it....

Soeren, please clarify, is the I2S Input of a dam1121 configured as slave a standard input? Or can one only connect the I2S out from a master to the I2S input of a Slave?

And again, will you change the code to make the dam1121 usable for synchronous Multichannel? It is still written as a feature for the dam1221 on your website.

Thanks and greetings,

Simple dam1121 Build

Hi all -- I've been thinking about a simple dam1121 build. This would be straight SPDIF input from either a Bryston BDP-1 (AES/EBU) or an Allo Digione (Coax); single board, single ended analog output.

Before I launch the project -- and potentially get to a point where I'm pulling my hair out trying to troubleshoot -- does the attached diagram reflect a potentially workable approach? The plan would be to get the DAC up and running using the referenced PSUs, with the possibility of upgrading down the line. Part of the interest is that I have the referenced regulators built and on hand.

For the SPDIF input, I was thinking of ordering a PCB that can attach to the back of the XLR jack with the transformer, IC, and passive components on board (mock up attached). Transformer would be the Murata DA102C.

Based on my reading of the manual, the four straps on J2 and J3 should be the correct options. Per post 60 in this thread, EN_AUDIO does not need to be strapped in this configuration.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

• dam1121.pdf
    207.6 KB · Views: 96
  • spdif-board.png
    spdif-board.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 400
Hi all -- I've been thinking about a simple dam1121 build. This would be straight SPDIF input from either a Bryston BDP-1 (AES/EBU) or an Allo Digione (Coax); single board, single ended analog output.

Before I launch the project -- and potentially get to a point where I'm pulling my hair out trying to troubleshoot -- does the attached diagram reflect a potentially workable approach? The plan would be to get the DAC up and running using the referenced PSUs, with the possibility of upgrading down the line. Part of the interest is that I have the referenced regulators built and on hand.

For the SPDIF input, I was thinking of ordering a PCB that can attach to the back of the XLR jack with the transformer, IC, and passive components on board (mock up attached). Transformer would be the Murata DA102C.

Based on my reading of the manual, the four straps on J2 and J3 should be the correct options. Per post 60 in this thread, EN_AUDIO does not need to be strapped in this configuration.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

You might wanna check this post again 567, concerning the spdif “receiver”

Building with the Soekris dam1121

Have any one compared modded dam1021 with modded dam1121? I have build for my friend balanced absolute moded 2x1121 and when i compare with my full batery powered 1021 the 1121 is litle more transpartent but not that fluid like 1021. The difrence was that 1121 plays on usb amanero with very good self powered clocks(better that chrystecs) and 1021 have diyinhk xmos usb with stock clocks.

Attachments

• 20200517_113853.jpg
    20200517_113853.jpg
    872.5 KB · Views: 384
  • 20200517_113857.jpg
    20200517_113857.jpg
    930 KB · Views: 338
  • 20200305_234031.jpg
    20200305_234031.jpg
    789.9 KB · Views: 326
It have always be possible to connect multiple slaves to one master, with the digital inputs going to the master. That is mainly for doing digital crossovers using the biquads in the multiple dam1121's, or for balanced or parallel operation.

Has anyone actually used a DAM1121 Master/Slave arrangement to implement a crossover?

I'm thinking of building a two-way open baffle. I have an 1121-01 and was considering repurposing it as the master for the 'full-range' section and getting an 1121-02 to run in slave mode for the bass helper. How does that look on paper?

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I does not matters that you aim for XO rather than a balanced stereo DAC - timing wise. What I mean is that I don't think the XO application puts any extra requirements on the solution. Its just horizontal or vertical structures of the same thing.

XO aspects are really that you cant do time-alignment - otherwise you have your PEQs for filtering duties. I find the implementation of PEQs really transparent and it makes up for a fantastic XO really.

//

Thanks TNT, that's helpful and confirms my assumption about it being essentially the same as a balanced implementation.

Should I go ahead, I'll need to learn about rePhase to create the filters - I assume it would be relatively simple to install the requisite 'full-range' filter on the 1121-01 and the bass filters on the 1121-02? (I would probably use something like a MiniDSP to get the initial crossover filter settings.)

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
That should be interesting - you essentially make a filter that kick in at a lower frequency than the usual Fs/2 filters as a LP.

For the HP it can be a problem with the processing power of the DAM - it needs to do both Fs/2 (LP) filtering as well as a FIR HP filter.

//

You can always do biquads - maybe thats even better. You don't need RePhase for this - you can copy the ones from minidsp if you develop them there.

//

Thanks again. As I say, I have a lot to learn, starting with a better understanding of FIR vs Biquads!

If you don't mind me making the assumption, it is reassuring that there's a good source of help and verification here.

I did some reading yesterday and it looks relatively simple to set up a master/slave configuration although I have some detailed questions I need to resolve about the master outputs and slave config straps but I'm sure that'll fall into place. I had initially assumed that the Master's clock was used by the slave board but it looks as though it is only the I2S data that is output from the master and I find myself asking 'why not just share the I2S source data and run two masters?'. Have I understood this correctly? Any thoughts?

Two masters can be run parallel. No problem. But this is not a synchronous mode. It’s the same as using to dam1021.
If you want synchronous mode you need a shared Master Clock. This can be achieved by using an external clock, like in the dam1121 manual schematic for dual mono. Or by using one onboard clock and buffering this and then in the slave dam1121. But here we are again. The still not answered question. Can one feed an external i2s in a dam1121 configured as slave or can one only feed with i2s out from master (that’s what I assume).

Keep in mind, that linear phase filters with different tap count have a different delay. You probably have to look into that when building a crossover with FIR filters in a dsp.

If I remeber correct the voltage level for the Toslink module should be 3,3 Volt ... yours is 5 Volt.

Please check ... somewhere in this topic there is some info about preferred SPDIF receivers ...

P.S There is a schematic in the Soekris manual where you can see the Toslink module has 3,3 Volt power supply.

Last edited: