Building with the Soekris dam1121

Devisions = devices? Both a source and DAC cant be Master.

I meant one master to rule them all ;)

The DAM is not unique in this sense. Anything with an oscillator on it would fit your idea.

I meant unique as to the other DACs from soekris which will not accept any external clock.

The DAM implements a digital PLL - this means that the clock is changed to follow the input. You still need this change mechanism (probably - I'm not sure I can understand what you want to do). I don't think the clock on the DAM 1121 is 22 Mhz.

All soekris' DACs upsample to 2.8Mhz, I don't know if the clock is just running at 22Mhz... I know that there is a PLL, but still, it would be interesting to feed the dac with a external clock - wouldn't it? ;)

You seem way over your head with this.

I try taking it as a compliment for not thinking inside a box

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
On a more serious note... Whats wrong with the clock?

Do you realise that even if there indeed exists clocks with lower phase noise than the one onboard, once you have connected the wires that shall carrie that clock, these wires themselves will most probably destroy that "superior" performance once it reaches the board.

The DAM provides a way to synchronise 2 (or more?) boards via externa lines - maybe it is this what you refer to as being unique? This in-itself does not enable the use of external clocks.

Back to the drawing board - or maybe rather enjoy the music!

//

Søren, if the dust is settling with the introduction of the 1921/1941 could I respectfully request, on behalf of all of us 1121 users, you turn your attention to the new firmware for the 1121? It would be a great Christmas present for us 1121ers who are the only ones not using the new filters and feeling quite deprived....:D

Just out of curiosity. Has anyone tried to stack multiple boards for reduced distortion? Would be interesting to see test stats and subjective reports... theoretically it seems trivial to stack 1121's once the initial setup is complete, since clocks can be synced (whereas dual-mono is already a reach for 1021). Wonder if it'll get closer to MSB level performance. It's rather brute force but theoretically we can get probabilistically perfect DACs with a "large" number of boards :)

Too much day-dreaming lately. But I still think some sort of soft calibration with good measurements would be super interesting for everyone to see. It can't be THAT hard for Soren, or anyone with access to both firmware and good ADC equipment... zfe did rudimentary experiments with only a good DMM... :eek:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Loaded a new set of filters. Just tweaks of whats was there. Loading OK. Did power off/on.

When I hit play, short noise bursts, say every 2 seconds, comes out. Nasty. Hmmm. Checking uManager and # filters -> nothing just a empty printout.

Hmm - reloads filters that was working previously.

uManager and # filters -> nothing - just empty...

dam1121 uManager Rev 1.08 20160523 FPGA Rev 1.08 Press ? for help.

# filters

# help
uManager...

What do I do now?

//