Building with the Soekris dam1121

I removed the LED for now, it should work without it. I checked the J1 again, absolutely ok. The 3.3V for USB board are there, otherwise it wouldn't be connecting to the computer. It gets the 3.3V from the SKlite.
I have to go to bed now, I am at the other side of the planet I guess:)
And thanks for trying to support, much appreciated. It always drives me nuts, when I don't find the reason, maybe you know that one...

Yes, we are quite a few hours apart.

I'd highly recommend putting back that LED until you get this sorted - it's a valuable troubleshooting tool.

Also, from memory, the rearmost pins on the DIYINHK board (closest to rear edge) are the Ground pins so are those brown red and orange wires ground wires? And, again from memory, isn't the first pin on that DIYINHK 20-pin header (the one you have the brown wire connected to) the master clock pin? Which is not used by the DAM. You might want to check that i2s wiring again.

Halleluja:Pirate:
After checking everything for the 20th time, I again checked for continuity of the adapter pins. I watched the LED of the Salas negative shunt staying on for quite a while after switching off, while the pos. reg was dark almost instantly. That made me suspicious...
And that was the culprit, some Megohms at the ground connection. Took another ground pin, and sweet tunes are played.
Man, that was a hard one! So annoying when one feels dumb and clueless:D
Thanks Derek (I assume thats your name) for encouraging to check again the connections.

Almost finished,

Beagle one Black -> twisted pear audio hermes and Cronus -> dual mono dam1121 -> geometrical balanced transformer voltage control -> tube buffer (push pull and aikido cathode follower) -> output transformer

Attachments

• 0B765FE3-D284-4846-9432-09AEFB8878FB.jpg
    0B765FE3-D284-4846-9432-09AEFB8878FB.jpg
    779.8 KB · Views: 681
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Almost finished,

Beagle one Black -> twisted pear audio hermes and Cronus -> dual mono dam1121 -> geometrical balanced transformer voltage control -> tube buffer (push pull and aikido cathode follower) -> output transformer

The cabling from the second UltraBiB to its load is long and thin. (The one placed low in the picture next to a tube socket). Use thicker wire it may prove subjectively audible to the better.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Is this what you have as factory delivered filters, or did I update mine? :)

dam1121 uManager Rev 1.08 20160523 FPGA Rev 1.08 Press ? for help.

# filters

04 EQHQ_lpbr_b1, 44.1 Khz, 0-19.00Khz +-0.00000005dB, 22.50Khz -174.26dB
08 EQHQ_lpbr_b0, 384.0 Khz, 0-30.00Khz +-0.00000005dB, 288.00Khz -174.16dB
29 DC Blocking IIR, 352.8 Ksps, 2 Hz HP 1st order
30 Deemphasis IIR, 352.8 Ksps, 50/15 uS

//

janho,

Are you operating the Dam1121's Synchronously or Asynchronously?

One Board is Master the other one is slave. So I wired it as shown in the dam1121 manual with a buffer between master and slave board.

The cabling from the second UltraBiB to its load is long and thin. (The one placed low in the picture next to a tube socket). Use thicker wire it may prove subjectively audible to the better.

Thanks Salas!

Being finished with my build, I can say using a Beaglehone Black with the Hermes Cronus combination from Twisted Pear audio was the right choice. Way better than a raspberry pi with reclocker. But there is no good documentation, so it took me really long to finish all this.

And I did have problems connecting the BBB serial with the Dam1121 for changing filter so instead there is a Arduino nano inside that sends signal to the dam1121 and lights a LED for showing which filter is active.

Attachments

• 6D05D9A4-9AAA-4C98-A98A-537A5B86200D.jpg
    6D05D9A4-9AAA-4C98-A98A-537A5B86200D.jpg
    801.3 KB · Views: 696
I have built full balanced dac with 2x dam1121 modules with amanero usb. Master works perfectly but slave can"t lock. Connections are done as in manual example schematic. Length of I2S wires between master and slave are ca 10cm shielded. Master LED stop blinking when it comes signal from Amanero and output XLR works, but slave LED (I added too) always blinking. Where could it be the problem?

I have built full balanced dac with 2x dam1121 modules with amanero usb. Master works perfectly but slave can"t lock. Connections are done as in manual example schematic. Length of I2S wires between master and slave are ca 10cm shielded. Master LED stop blinking when it comes signal from Amanero and output XLR works, but slave LED (I added too) always blinking. Where could it be the problem?

Have you got the config strap resistors set up properly? Master and slave boards require different setup.

Let's say I'm in the crazy obsession of thinking: all of my i2s related devisions must have one clock master.So primarily this would be source and DAC.

The dam1121 puts us in the unique position, to feed the DAC with an external clock. (if we trick the onboard with an external si570)
I know that this clock frequency is not the usual one - but way higher as the final upsampling is to sth. like 2.8Mhz.

If I'd have a 98Mhz clock, with a clock divider /4 to provide 22Mhz to the source, and a divider/multiplier times 8 to provide to the dam1121 - anyone think that could work?

Let's say I'm in the crazy obsession of thinking: all of my i2s related devisions must have one clock master.So primarily this would be source and DAC.

The dam1121 puts us in the unique position, to feed the DAC with an external clock. (if we trick the onboard with an external si570)
I know that this clock frequency is not the usual one - but way higher as the final upsampling is to sth. like 2.8Mhz.

If I'd have a 98Mhz clock, with a clock divider /4 to provide 22Mhz to the source, and a divider/multiplier times 8 to provide to the dam1121 - anyone think that could work?

I think you're right that it's become an obsession. :)) but if we're just doing this for enjoyment and hobbyist learning - I have no idea ...

What is the point of feeding a higher clock rate into the DAC?...

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Devisions = devices? Both a source and DAC cant be Master.

The DAM is not unique in this sense. Anything with an oscillator on it would fit your idea.

The DAM implements a digital PLL - this means that the clock is changed to follow the input. You still need this change mechanism (probably - I'm not sure I can understand what you want to do). I don't think the clock on the DAM 1121 is 22 Mhz.

You seem way over your head with this.

//