Building with the Soekris dam1121

My implementation is pretty straightforward:

PC (8-ch crossover/delays/DRC) -> USBstreamer I2S out -> 4 x dam1021 (bitclock and wordclock in parallel).

There's some suspicion of sync issues in this config, I can't hear it, so you're probably right that several boards sync within one wordclock period. Can be verified with impulse response measurements.

Many people would like to implement crossovers with a 2-channel source and multiple DAMs, but it's currently impossible to manage delays/time alignment due to hardware limitations of the dam1021/1121.

Anyone else with active crossover/multichannel setup? :cool:
Hello Jaffar, I am currently considering to go the same route as you:
- 6 or 8ch crossover/delay/RoomCorrection implemented in Roon, designed in REW/Rephase
- Roon RAAT 6 or 8 channel streaming to Allo USBBridge under DietPi
- miniDSP USB Streamer to 3 or 4 stereo I2S out
- 3 or 4 dam1021
Do you have a picture of your implementation/wiring ?
Open questions at my end are:
- parallel wiring of bitclock/wordclock : any precautions to take (wire lengths...)
- digital volume control : i’d like to use the same 10k linear pot to control all 3 or 4 dam1021, is it an issue to connect GND and 3.3V of all board together ?
- single ended output : buffered or not buffered ? Power amp should be classDaudio modules
- power supply : i inte

First time DAC build

Hi all, I am new here. Looking for info on build of a possible integrated DAC/Amp with dam1121 board. It would be great if someone could help me with some doubts that I have. I have already gone through the manual, but might have missed something.

1. I am looking at a dual-polarity PSU from ldovr.com and it has a 4uV noise rating. I was also considering the LT3045 PSUs, but can't find them in 5V capacity. Is 4uV noticeably worse than 0.8uV of LT3045?
  2. I am considering a bipolar supply for the analog side and another 5V supply for the digital side and the isolator on my USB-I2S board. Will a single supply for the analog+digital and USB board suffice?
  3. Is there any advantage in using 1021 vs 1121? I have looked at both and saw some firmware updates for 1021, but nothing for 1121. I also read that 1021 filters can be used with 1121. Does that include the new 4K tap filters also? Also 1021 seems to have the Si570 oscillator. Is this significantly better?
  4. I was thinking of using the output directly to an amp without a buffer stage. Is this fine?
  5. I was thinking of using an O2 as an amp for an integrated DAC/Amp solution. Will O2 be good enough for 1121, or is there anything that makes it a bad match?

Hi all, i need some help...

I have been listening to my 1121 dac with great pleasure for several months.
I had the dac connected with xlr output (2 boards with balanced outputs) on my amp with xlr > rca cables.
Worked like a charm.

Now i am connecting to an amp with xlr inputs with xlr > xlr cables and now the left channel is not giving a good output. Very thin sound, no bass.
Did some checking and it is the left dac channel output. (ruled out cable, amp, speakers).

When i change back to the old amp with the xlr > rca cables the sound is good.

So it looks like left channel is not giving the right balanced output.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

So the XLR to RCA cable worked OK, but the XLR cable does not. Check the cabling from the DAC board to the XLR connector. A loose connection there could make it seem like the DAC channel is bad. Did you swap the connectors on the left and right DAC boards?

Did swap the connection from left dac board to right xlr plug. Same ok sound with RCA plug but distorted output with xlr.
Internal cabeling is ok.
So it looks like the left board can not output xlr correctly...

Also checked strap pins again... No mistakes there.

Last edited: