Building with the Soekris dam1121

Dear Soren, any news on this very important feature of disabling FIFO / PLL so we can use high end low phase noise OXCO ?

It would be great to be able to do this on my dac1541 also ( s/n 011 )

I understand that source jitter would come through but i plan to use very low jitter source. Please make this available.

htpc usb out -> sync to usb/i2s converter -> oxco ->multiple dam ? I think...so i will use the same frequency clock on the entire chain ?

Basically i'm looking for advice and suggestions. What interests me in a 2x2 so 4 dac1121 in balanced mode all synced from the same clock with i2s lvds in.

htpc usb out -> sync to usb/i2s converter -> oxco ->multiple dam ? I think...so i will use the same frequency clock on the entire chain ?

Basically i'm looking for advice and suggestions. What interests me in a 2x2 so 4 dac1121 in balanced mode all synced from the same clock with i2s lvds in.

I suggest you look into Ian's FIFO and DualXO boards. Those have one i2s input (for interfacing with say usb-2-i2s module like Amanero) and multiple clock outputs as well as multiple i2s outputs reclocked by the same clock in the DualXO board.

I have Ian's McFIFO/McDualXO installed (w/ Amanero and just one DAM1021) and it does work although without the onboard-clock-bypass firmware update the DAM1021 is still being driven by the onboard programmable clock hence not reaping the full benefits of the upstream clock.

Hope Soren could implement this feature soon.

Last night i have put power on a dual mono 1121 setup for first testing.
It has a WaveiO usb to I2S converter and dual mono 1121 boards in master mode and xlr outputs.
It worked at once :p
I did not use a programming board. But used all cables on the headers for the inputs, outputs and config pins.

Can't say much about the sound yet. Sounds offcourse similar to the dam 1021 V2 i have (single board setup).
Testing was with bad cables and there has to be burn in time.

Dam1121 - Google Drive

I suggest you look into Ian's FIFO and DualXO boards. Those have one i2s input (for interfacing with say usb-2-i2s module like Amanero) and multiple clock outputs as well as multiple i2s outputs reclocked by the same clock in the DualXO board.

I have Ian's McFIFO/McDualXO installed (w/ Amanero and just one DAM1021) and it does work although without the onboard-clock-bypass firmware update the DAM1021 is still being driven by the onboard programmable clock hence not reaping the full benefits of the upstream clock.

Hope Soren could implement this feature soon.

Thanks for the suggestion, it's definetely useful !

I'm waiting on this feature and am curious how it can be implemented with ian's mcfifo in such a way as to run 8 soekris boards in balanced configuration.

I try to build a balance dac with two dam1121,I set one dam1121 MCFG3..0 is 0010 and connect a external SI570 with I2C bus for left channel; I set the other dam1121 SCFG3..0 is 0101,but the master board isn't lock.Master serial port print "M3" and" L000",and the slaver board serial port print" S4"" L384".I have try with I2S and spdif ,the LOCK LED in master is always blink.What might be the problem?

The dam1121 check if external Si570 oscillator is present, if so it will use it and disable the internal oscillators.

The dam1121 is picky on the Si570, it need to be 3.3V LVDS, I2C address 0x55, startup clock 10 Mhz, OE Polarity active high, and it can't be the 20 ppm stability version....

You can look up p/n at Lookup and Customize | Silicon Labs

570BAA000112DG is fine.
I think I my get the problem.My si570 is 570BCC000112DG with 20ppm stability version,is any way to make 1121 work with this oscillator?

I found the 20ppmsi570's Registers is 13-18,but the other is 7-12,seems must need a special FW.I decided use the si514 on master board,and buffer it with max9180.Or may I remove the si514 on board and replace my 20ppm si570 as a external oscillator?May be I need make the I2C wire to connect to original si514 solder pad.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I found the 20ppmsi570's Registers is 13-18,but the other is 7-12,seems must need a special FW.I decided use the si514 on master board,and buffer it with max9180.Or may I remove the si514 on board and replace my 20ppm si570 as a external oscillator?May be I need make the I2C wire to connect to original si514 solder pad.

The 570BCx 20ppm versions have a different programing interface, don't ask me why, and are NOT supported by the dam1121.

strange distortion!

My 2 1121 balance DAC beta was finished,but I get a strange distortion when I set the PC volume is 0dB and the 1121 volume control set to -3dB .If I set the PC volume to-3dB and the 1121 volume control set to 0dB,the distortion is disappear~:confused:
Is it looks like the data is overflow after SRC?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    635.9 KB · Views: 604
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    658.8 KB · Views: 590
Søren, are you close to releasing the 1121 filter update? I am fighting a rearguard action here trying to persuade two potential customers of yours that they should buy the 1121. It is hard to argue with them when they point out that the 1021 with the new filters sounds better than the (more expensive) 1121!!

Help.....🙃

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Søren, are you close to releasing the 1121 filter update? I am fighting a rearguard action here trying to persuade two potential customers of yours that they should buy the 1121. It is hard to argue with them when they point out that the 1021 with the new filters sounds better than the (more expensive) 1121!!

Help.....

I'm sorry it's taking its time, the problem is we currently have the best weather ever in denmark, making it hard to get work done....

I'll get it done this week.