Building with the Soekris dam1121

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Everything connected, except for the external serial lead, and ready for a final check and then a test.

Hi Ray,
Is this USB prolongation (in JLSounds) working properly?
Some DIYers had problems with it.

I got your interface boards (many thanks), and I think about how to lead I2S lines to Dimdim's ArDAM Lite (Arduino Nano + interface+OLED display) board (to display resolution). I think I will use long pin Arduino female shield between your board and JLSounds, and use from it jumper cables to ArDAM.

Hi Ray,
Is this USB prolongation (in JLSounds) working properly?
Some DIYers had problems with it.

I have no idea what problems people might be having but I've now had three or four of the JLSounds USB boards and they've always worked perfectly.

Today I replaced the power switch and have been checking the DAC section. Everything tests out OK and the AudioZen controller board is displaying the correct information from the Soekris 1121 (such as incoming sample rate) so tomorrow I plan to have my first listen.

I got your interface boards (many thanks), and I think about how to lead I2S lines to Dimdim's ArDAM Lite (Arduino Nano + interface+OLED display) board (to display resolution). I think I will use long pin Arduino female shield between your board and JLSounds, and use from it jumper cables to ArDAM.

What you need to connect to the ArDAM Lite board is the dam's serial port (in, out, gnd) plus a +3.3V power line to power the isolator.

euro21, the interface board I sent you will have (if you install them) header pins for connection to the 1121 serial interface;

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...-building-soekris-dam1121-33.html#post5250137

so it looks, from Dimdim's post that the connections should be simple and won't require any other boards - just use the interface board to connect the JLSounds USB board to the 1121. You've have to arrange the 3.3V power for the isolator though.

Resistors all have specs for temperature drift and long time drift, the ones I use are some of the best.... So no problems with drift.

All the dam's and dac's use same filter format and file.

No other clocks, all the dam's and dac's rely on the specific programmable oscillator.

I have ADC designs in my CAD system, but currently it's only on paper. If I do something it will for the pro market....

Thanks for that info. So for proof of concept for some digital filters I was building a DAC for the PI, until I came across your DAC.
Are your complete DAC's also programmable or do I have to make my own DAC from the 1121 or 1021?
How hidden are my filters when are they uploaded into your DAC?
Are the lesser accurate resistors the same material, just less finely tuned?

Thank you so much for your replies.

Rather mixed results today and I'm feeling rather disappointed at the moment.

The good: feeding music to the DAC everthing appears to function correctly and the AudioZen module correctly displays the correct incoming data rate;

UofXm9Q.jpg

This suggests that the FPGA part is functioning correctly.

The not so good: having seemingly proven the USB board is delivering I2S to the 1121, which itself seems to be recognising the incoming data I hooked up the outputs from the 1121 to an amplifier but the result is just a solid buzzing noise with no music present (which suggests its not a ground loop type issue). It's the same on both channels.

nb. I am using the raw outputs from the 1121 so the issue isn't with the output buffer.

I'll take a break from the project for a day or two and then start trying to do some fault finding. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Last edited:
I thought I would do some basic checking so;

I disconnected the +/-5V supplies to the analogue output section of the 1121 and the rest of the board behaves perfectly as far as I can tell, just as before.

I measured the power supplies for the analogue section and they are +5.04V and -5.04V

That suggests the issue is with the output section but its getting late now so further investigation will be for another day.

To definitely rule out the input have you implemented the SPDIF input and tried that as well as the USB?

And just to dot i’s -

Both VCC5D (pins 1 and 2 on J2) are powered?

The Enable Audio pin on J1 should not be connected to anything.

And, of course, the Config pins are all strapped to ground?

What’s the fifth resistor on your board for - the PWR_LED?

You could try something like an RPI running Moode or Volumio etc into the 1121 to rule out the DAM - I doubt that the DAM is your issue. Or a cheap i2s DAC board to see if your input side is working as it should.

Finally, what’s the input impedance of the amp you’re running the raw output of the 1121 into?

Derek

Thanks Derek

To definitely rule out the input have you implemented the SPDIF input and tried that as well as the USB? - No, I have no SPDIF source

And just to dot i’s -

Both VCC5D (pins 1 and 2 on J2) are powered? - Yes

The Enable Audio pin on J1 should not be connected to anything. - It isn't

And, of course, the Config pins are all strapped to ground? - Yes, all tied to ground with 3K3 resistors

What’s the fifth resistor on your board for - the PWR_LED? It's R4 in the DAM1121 manual schematic, 1K0 resistor on the Rx pin

You could try something like an RPI running Moode or Volumio etc into the 1121 to rule out the DAM - I doubt that the DAM is your issue. Or a cheap i2s DAC board to see if your input side is working as it should. - I think the input side is working because the DAM1121 is locking onto the incoming data and reporting the correct oncoming data rate but a cheap I2S DAC is a possibility just to prove the input.

Finally, what’s the input impedance of the amp you’re running the raw output of the 1121 into? - 100K

If you have another i2s DAC it’s worth a try.

I've got one somewhere here...

What’s your i2s source?

JL Sounds I2SoverUSB. This is my third or fourth one and I've never had a problem with any of them.

I'll embark on some serious trouble shooting at the weekend as you suggest and I'm borrowing an oscilloscope in case it might be useful, though I'm not sure what to check or where at the moment.

Cheers

Hi,
My dam1121 arrived today. My AZ OLED setup kits for Soekris dam1021/1121 kit is on it's way, but I did not get the lite kit. I did not read the first post properly. Apart from the unnecessary higher voltage transformer, which I will not use, does anyone know if I can still connect this up to the dam 1121? I do not want to have to send it back and wait again. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you

Hi,
My dam1121 arrived today. My AZ OLED setup kits for Soekris dam1021/1121 kit is on it's way, but I did not get the lite kit. I did not read the first post properly. Apart from the unnecessary higher voltage transformer, which I will not use, does anyone know if I can still connect this up to the dam 1121? I do not want to have to send it back and wait again. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you

Probably not since the pins will not match? Perhaps use the AZ Lite instead or wait for AudioZen to finish his build with 1121...?

I'm considering using the dam1121 modules as DACs in my multi channel set-up.

Currently my set-up is this:

Raspberry Pi/Volumio or CD player -----> miniDSPs nanoDIGI via SPDIF/toslink -----> 3*assorted stereo DACs via the nanoDIGIs SPDIF output -----> analog Amp./speakers.

DACs: One Arcam irDAC and two low cost S.M.S.L DACs.

First phase will be replacing the assorted DACs with 3*dam1121 (just a very simple “out of the box” implementation)

A possible 2. phase could be to replace the nanoDIGI with a miniSharch so that SPDIF could be replaced by I2S.

I hope someone here can help answering some of these question:

1. Has anybody done something similar with the dam1121?

2. Could I get timing issues with the 3*spdif from the nanoDIGI? Eg. that they get slightly out of sync? If there is an issue will I2S solve it? SPDIF cables are 3m long, an I2S implementation will be within the same cabinet. I can't hear any issues in the present set-up, but the stability of the stereo image could be better.

3. I suppose that a bit of jitter is no problem because of the reclocking on the dam1121 – correct?

4. Sørens recommendation is to have a transformer isolation between SPDIF source and the dam1121 SPDIF input. But the nanoDSP already has transformer isolated SPIF outputs. So could/should I skip the transformer input in front of the dam1121 and connect directly?

5. Would it be advantageous to use one of boards clock as master for the other two? I'm considering buying one dam1121-01 (with the more precise Si570 Oscillator vs Si514 in the -02) and use it as master.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I run two 1121 from independent toslink using an optical splitter after an Squeezbox. No stability problems here.

If you are ok with max 24/192 I suggest optical as it has the absolutely best isolation properties. And as you say, 1121 handles eventual jitter so only + for toslink except speed limit. A "computer" placed 10 cm from a DAC using galvanic connection :-/ ....

//

//

Thanks - Good to know the dam's works fine with SPDIF/toslink, so I can “tick” that box.

Most of the miniDSP products operate internally at either 48khz or 96khz (nanoDIGI at 96khz). I'm doing xover and some simple room correction digitally in the NanoDIGI, so I have settled with 96khz, until more powerful and cost efficient consumer DSPs emerges.