Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Building with the Soekris dam1121
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2020, 11:48 PM   #801
kenneth_obee is offline kenneth_obee  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

I used this USB to serial cable (Aten UC-232A) which works with dam1021. As I only connect TX, RX and Gnd, I guess it doesn't damage the card yet.
So do I need to add a TTL to RS232 adapter in between?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0929.JPG (513.0 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0930.JPG (549.2 KB, 141 views)
Old 25th March 2020, 12:31 AM   #802
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekr View Post
Søren - thanks for the above. Was a bad capacitor in the end. Seemed to be a defective opamp based on the image below but after replacing the OPA365 the issue was still there so a check of the caps found one that was resistive, not dead-shorted, fortunately. Back up and running now.

After the repair a quick check on an AP could not get near your stated figure for THD at -60db in the Quick Specifications. Was that figure measured with the board in balanced mode?
Based on the FFT in single ended mode. Note that it is THD, not THD+N, it's pretty hard to measure at that low level, noise have this habit of getting in the way.... Do the FFT's instead and compare with the plots on page one on this thread. If you have too high even harmonics, check the vref voltages.
Old 25th March 2020, 12:33 AM   #803
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth_obee View Post
I used this USB to serial cable (Aten UC-232A) which works with dam1021. As I only connect TX, RX and Gnd, I guess it doesn't damage the card yet.
So do I need to add a TTL to RS232 adapter in between?
Why not just buy the right cable, they're around $10....
Old 25th March 2020, 02:42 AM   #804
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
Why not just buy the right cable, they're around $10....
Thanks. I have done updating. I have several USB serial and USB TTL cards, just I didnt take the TTL to use until another member told me.

Why dont you update the manual to add a word "TTL" to give a hint to people instead? I do a full text search of the dam1121 manual but I can only find the word "serial" but not "ttl".

TTL and RS232 both belongs to serial. TTL and RS232 must be specified. Otherwise people would just need to trial and error.
Old 25th March 2020, 09:39 AM   #805
janho12345 is offline janho12345  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks. I have done updating. I have several USB serial and USB TTL cards, just I didnt take the TTL to use until another member told me.

Why dont you update the manual to add a word "TTL" to give a hint to people instead? I do a full text search of the dam1121 manual but I can only find the word "serial" but not "ttl".

TTL and RS232 both belongs to serial. TTL and RS232 must be specified. Otherwise people would just need to trial and error.
http://www.soekris.dk/download/dam11...121_manual.pdf

That’s a link to the dam1121 manual.
On page two starts a table for connection of J2. It is clearly written there that TX and RX is 3,3V Level.
On page four, in the operating condition is written, that input and output pins (except clock) is input max 3,9 level logic high, and output 3,3V.

The dam1121 is for advanced DIYer I would say. It requires more careful considerations.

If you have more questions don’t hesitate to ask!
Old 26th March 2020, 02:48 AM   #806
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janho12345 View Post
http://www.soekris.dk/download/dam11...121_manual.pdf

That’s a link to the dam1121 manual.
On page two starts a table for connection of J2. It is clearly written there that TX and RX is 3,3V Level.
On page four, in the operating condition is written, that input and output pins (except clock) is input max 3,9 level logic high, and output 3,3V.

The dam1121 is for advanced DIYer I would say. It requires more careful considerations.

If you have more questions don’t hesitate to ask!
fair enough. I just give my advice for Soren to consider. I know he has a strong mind for what he is doing so I dont expect there'd be any change made at last.

In the end, I have done updating and finished the DAC building, will share some photos later.
Old 26th March 2020, 11:21 AM   #807
diyAudio Member

Quote:
fair enough. I just give my advice for Soren to consider. I know he has a strong mind for what he is doing so I dont expect there'd be any change made at last.

In the end, I have done updating and finished the DAC building, will share some photos later.
Actually TTL would be even more wrong.... It is 3.3V levels, just as stated in manual, which you're supposed to read....
Old 26th March 2020, 04:46 PM   #808
janho12345 is offline janho12345  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janho12345 View Post
How can one multichannel the dam1121?

for example 4 channels (synchronous)?
Must the slave get it's i2s from master board then? Is it at all possible to feed SPDIF into a slave board?

Søren did you have time to look at the code yet?
Old 27th March 2020, 10:47 PM   #809
derekr is offline derekr  Barbados
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
Based on the FFT in single ended mode. Note that it is THD, not THD+N, it's pretty hard to measure at that low level, noise have this habit of getting in the way.... Do the FFT's instead and compare with the plots on page one on this thread. If you have too high even harmonics, check the vref voltages.
Will get round to it. Thanks.
Old 27th March 2020, 10:53 PM   #810
derekr is offline derekr  Barbados
diyAudio Member

And thanks for the firmware again. Am thoroughly enjoying the improved sound now that I have a good excuse not to leave home

Building with the Soekris dam1121Hide this!Advertise here!