Building with the Soekris dam1121

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
After making a "set mode bal-left" (coining from R), one have to to a volume adjust (V-30 etc) in order for the channel to switch. No biggie but good to know.

After giving it a rest my build hade a broken cable. I use twisted pair ethernet cat6e and they are fragile to bending but I find them sounding very natural.

This is really promising so I must build cannel #2 post haste.

//

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
There is an initialization error in the dam1121 if it is set to do bal-left and powered off. At power on, it seems that it outputs what sounds like a L-R signal or something like that - vocals mixed in centre sound distant/muted and with strange tinny echo. Not until the last V-26 in the sequence below, did the sound become correct:

(power on)
->connect (fail)
->connect (always have tp do 2 connect??)

CONNECTED
Invalid Command

#

#

Invalid Command
(->enter)

# set

Conspeed = 9600
Volume = -40
Filter = Linear
Mode = Bal-Left

# exit

L044
(V-30, but first command after exit always fails with no impact and no command echo)
V-30
V-25
(strange SQ)
(->+++)
dam1121 uManager Rev 1.08 20160523 FPGA Rev 1.08 Press ? for help.

# set mode bal-left

# exit

L044
V-26 (sound restored)

//

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sören, check your command validation for V-

I have had a few (2) occasions where the volume have been set to 0 or maybe +10 when this was not my intention. And there was NO echo on the command line what took it to 0. So there was a change in level but no reply from the dam.

DANGER!!

Test all strange varations like:

V-.
V-
V-0000

See to that only exactly:

V-xy

and nothing else (stress test with crazy variants) may affect the volume. Then again, maybe a (configurable) security stop for level change jumps greater than 20 dB would be good.

// Greetings from your free, summer working, testing department ;)

Last edited:
TNT,

1) The settings in uManager are only supposed to be set once and are not guaranteed to take effect until after a power cycle.

2) The dam1121 serial port are supposed to be controlled by a uC, not a human that can give strange commands :)

But I will anyway look into doing better error checks on runtime commands....

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The setting for mode is done by hardware straps only, see manual for details.

There might still be some old code present, but it's not supported and will be removed completely at some point....

Always (always!!!) echo a command that made you change something - thats good for debugging. uC controlled or not.

uC and software also do strange things at time.

//

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I strapped (010: 0 by ground via 6k, 1 by 5V via 6k) my second unit channel (R) acc to manual. Same effect at startup - strange hollow, muted sound. A "set mode" + e.g. V-30 (x2) made it sound correct.

So maybe there is now a SW initialization problem as I did set it via command in uM?

//

I strapped (010: 0 by ground via 6k, 1 by 5V via 6k) my second unit channel (R) acc to manual. Same effect at startup - strange hollow, muted sound. A "set mode" + e.g. V-30 (x2) made it sound correct.

So maybe there is now a SW initialization problem as I did set it via command in uM?

//

Info please:

Exactly which pins do you strap what, both boards ?
Print of Serial Port output at power up, both boards.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I use the dam integrated into mono power amps so they are not connected as in the manual but as 2 separate balanced amps.

I have strapped:

J3 pin 7 to ground via 6k
J3 pin 9 to Vcc (+5V) via 6k
J3 pin 11 to ground via 6k

J2 pin 4 to ground via 6k

Starup:

M1
I3
L000
F4
PN
V-25
I1
L044

//

I use the dam integrated into mono power amps so they are not connected as in the manual but as 2 separate balanced amps.

I have strapped:

J3 pin 7 to ground via 6k
J3 pin 9 to Vcc (+5V) via 6k
J3 pin 11 to ground via 6k

J2 pin 4 to ground via 6k

Starup:

M1
I3
L000
F4
PN
V-25
I1
L044

//

The "M1" means Master Stereo, so something must be wrong with your straps, they float at power up so all 4 must be connected.... Just in case I forgot to disable internal pullup/pulldown, try with 1K resistors, I had 1K resistors on the prototype.

The specs actually say max 3.9V for digital inputs, but I doubt that's the problem. Your messing around with the software should also not be the problem.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
(r)TFM says:

"Config Strap Pins
...... pullup to VCC is 1."

;)

//

If you have to be nitpicking, then there is no VCC pin, only VCC5D and VCC5A, so VCC could be anything meeting the max 3.9V spec for digital I/O's....

As said before, the dam1121 is designed to be integrated into a system which will have 3.3V available as all digital I/O are at 3.3V level.... But afaik, 5V though a current limiting resistor to the Xilinx FPGA should be ok.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Second model DAM, second set of speakers gone. Started left up - played OK. Started right, got uM connection. R goes bananas at full pelt - no command given. But then, without touching L, L also goes full pelt. Smoke. I will now go sailing :)

MacBook -> CoolTerm -> Bluetooth -> BT type1 -> DAM -> NC400 / SMPS600 -> speaker.

The other channel uses BT Type2.

The terminal on Left was empty - no readings/changed state - still it went full volume with result as per picture.

R was in uManager looking like this at the time of the incident:

# set

Conspeed = 9600
Volume = -25
Filter = Linear
Mode = Bal-Right

#

//

Attachments

• smelly2.jpg
    smelly2.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 1,064