Building with the Soekris dam1121

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I built this for headphone duties and it turned out very nice indeed.

Receipt:

• 3 pcs of RS PRO Encapsulated, Switching Power Supply, 9V dc, 330mA, 3W
  • 3 pcs of DC filter PO89ZB
  • 4 pcs LT3045 based stabs. Three 5V for the DAM and one 3,3V for the opto receiver.
  • a little bit of this & that...

It's hooked up to a Topping L30 and a pair of Philips L2 and the combo sounds absolutely lovely as I hear it - powerful, detailed, full, stable. I never enjoyed HP listening before really but this... :) ... with styroflex on the output and in +++ mode ;-)

Some pics below - maybe it will end up in a little more stable case later on...

c.jpg one shows the cap placement.

//

Attachments

• DSC_0510.JPG
    DSC_0510.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC_0506.JPG
    DSC_0506.JPG
    426.8 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC_0507.JPG
    DSC_0507.JPG
    284.2 KB · Views: 232
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 209
  • sys.jpg
    sys.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm currently running an IanCanada transport that has a FiFoPi with Crystek clocks and a reclocker, and I do believe that it's in master mode. However, I would like to build a DAC using the Soekris DAM1121, but my question is, because the DAM1121 is in master mode and already has a FiFo, reclocker, and a clock built in, would I encounter any problems running it off of the IanCanada setup?

Hi efrank,

the DAM1121 works flawless with the Ian Canada setup.
And no, the DAM1121 does not work in master mode, neither do the FiFoPies (only the new FiFoPiMa does)
Hey Tods,

Ok I see.....I don't know much about that stuff (I'm more of a plug and play kind a guy) but I was confident that someone here in this thread would be able to set me straight, and I really appreciate your reply because that was driving me crazy :)

Thank You and have a great day :)
Frank

My Google-fu is (uncharacteristically and disappointingly) failing to turn up anything regarding trouble switching to custom filters with the dam1121, so I'll turn to the most logical place (here.)

We've been cleaning out the shelves at the shop and I ended up with a pair of .01% 1121 boards along with main boards that (largely) follow the suggested setup on the 1121 page. While it took very little to get the DAC running, I've found that, regardless which of the two f/w I install, the DAC can only get a lock with the included filter package. If I install one of the more, "focused," filter packs (ie 1021filt_1015_kb-16 or 1021filtNOS) the DAC simply fails to get a lock. I've not tried using USB (I've got JLsound Viii and XMOS handy,) so I've been using an outboard (AK4113, I believe) ebay purchase to receive a coax input which it, in turn, converts to i2s and sends along. That receiver has worked fine with the stock filters (and other, random DAC projects,) but I suspect there's something else going on.

Is it a required step that one convert the .txt file to .skr instead of loading the existing. skr? The filters I'm currently trying are all part of Paul's assembled, "benchmark," collection, so they're tried-and-true in general. Is there something I'm missing when it comes to filter interoperability between the 1021 and 1121? I've tried with both f/w (1.09 and 1.21,) but the result is the same. I'm aware that filters of that vintage shouldn't be drop-in compatible with the 1.21 f/w, but it was easy enough to try.

I'm at the point of believing it's something right in front of my face that I'm failing to see. Any help?

Regards,

Eric

Dear Soeren,

unless it is IP protected, would it be possible to share the circuit details of the USB receiver on 1941 or 2941? I would like to build a single plug and play board for my 1121 which also incorporates the USB to I2S conversion among other utilities. If I can, I would be glad to avoid extending the Christmas three of external boards around the 1121.

Thank you,
Miklos