Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Building with the Soekris dam1121
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2018, 12:10 PM   #401
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Not me.
For.

:-)

//
Old 28th February 2018, 04:41 PM   #402
Shutdown98 is offline Shutdown98  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I use silver plated copper (6cm) between the WaveIo and dam 1021. No problems.
Going to use silver (about 7 cm) for the connection to the 2 mono 1121. I am working on that setup.g
Old 10th March 2018, 03:27 PM   #403
RolandPSP is offline RolandPSP  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklee View Post
That's great! I look forward to the firmware revision.
Me too.

Related to the disabling of FIFO and considering this, ( Would it be possible to connect 4 or 8 boards for each channel to enhance dynamic range ) - something like totaldac d-1-12 ?
Old 1st April 2018, 12:07 PM   #404
diyAudio Member

Dear Soren, any news on this very important feature of disabling FIFO / PLL so we can use high end low phase noise OXCO ?

It would be great to be able to do this on my dac1541 also ( s/n 011 )

I understand that source jitter would come through but i plan to use very low jitter source. Please make this available.
Old 1st April 2018, 12:35 PM   #405
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Just curious... how do you plan to synchronise your new clock and the data you feed the DAC?

//
Old 1st April 2018, 03:38 PM   #406
diyAudio Member

htpc usb out -> sync to usb/i2s converter -> oxco ->multiple dam ? I think...so i will use the same frequency clock on the entire chain ?

Basically i'm looking for advice and suggestions. What interests me in a 2x2 so 4 dac1121 in balanced mode all synced from the same clock with i2s lvds in.
Old 1st April 2018, 03:41 PM   #407
diyAudio Member

And second thing that interests me , and moreso than the first would be to be able to sync 3 separate dacs from the same clock. so 3x 2x2 or at least 3x dac1121.
Old 1st April 2018, 05:07 PM   #408
jacklee is offline jacklee  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandPSP View Post
htpc usb out -> sync to usb/i2s converter -> oxco ->multiple dam ? I think...so i will use the same frequency clock on the entire chain ?

Basically i'm looking for advice and suggestions. What interests me in a 2x2 so 4 dac1121 in balanced mode all synced from the same clock with i2s lvds in.
I suggest you look into Ian's FIFO and DualXO boards. Those have one i2s input (for interfacing with say usb-2-i2s module like Amanero) and multiple clock outputs as well as multiple i2s outputs reclocked by the same clock in the DualXO board.

I have Ian's McFIFO/McDualXO installed (w/ Amanero and just one DAM1021) and it does work although without the onboard-clock-bypass firmware update the DAM1021 is still being driven by the onboard programmable clock hence not reaping the full benefits of the upstream clock.

Hope Soren could implement this feature soon.
Old 2nd April 2018, 02:48 PM   #409
Shutdown98 is offline Shutdown98  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Last night i have put power on a dual mono 1121 setup for first testing.
It has a WaveiO usb to I2S converter and dual mono 1121 boards in master mode and xlr outputs.
It worked at once
I did not use a programming board. But used all cables on the headers for the inputs, outputs and config pins.

Can't say much about the sound yet. Sounds offcourse similar to the dam 1021 V2 i have (single board setup).
Testing was with bad cables and there has to be burn in time.

Dam1121 - Google Drive
Old 10th April 2018, 05:31 AM   #410
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklee View Post
I suggest you look into Ian's FIFO and DualXO boards. Those have one i2s input (for interfacing with say usb-2-i2s module like Amanero) and multiple clock outputs as well as multiple i2s outputs reclocked by the same clock in the DualXO board.

I have Ian's McFIFO/McDualXO installed (w/ Amanero and just one DAM1021) and it does work although without the onboard-clock-bypass firmware update the DAM1021 is still being driven by the onboard programmable clock hence not reaping the full benefits of the upstream clock.

Hope Soren could implement this feature soon.

Thanks for the suggestion, it's definetely useful !

I'm waiting on this feature and am curious how it can be implemented with ian's mcfifo in such a way as to run 8 soekris boards in balanced configuration.

Building with the Soekris dam1121Hide this!Advertise here!