Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Building with the Soekris dam1121
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2018, 10:05 AM   #391
Detectit1 is offline Detectit1
diyAudio Member

For me raises the question what the difference is on the 1021 and 1121?
Besides the headers...
Old 10th February 2018, 12:43 PM   #392
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty123 View Post
Sorry for asking such a dull question but how does this dac compare to a staple such as the Schiit Yggdrasil? I'm looking around for DIY options.
You have many options, like using a tube buffer or load custom filters. With a good implementation, like great power supplies and output buffers, it will beat any Schiit.

(at least in mine and some others opinion, Schiit fans might have a different opinion)
Old 10th February 2018, 11:08 PM   #393
hellokitty123 is offline hellokitty123  United States
diyAudio Member

I've read that balanced dacs offer conversion error cancellation that SE dacs do not since the errors are in phase with each other. Does this apply to this dac?
Old 11th February 2018, 03:54 AM   #394
diyAudio Member

Oh wait, this dac isn't true balanced. Can it invert so I can use two modules per channel for balanced operation?
Old 11th February 2018, 09:57 AM   #395
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Any unit offering a balanced output provides the potential for common mode cancellation on the cable connection to the next unit. This has nothing to do with cancelling internal conversion errors in the DAC.

Yes, one DAM board can use the 2 channels to form one singel channel balanced output and you have the possibility to configure if it is to output R or L.

//
Old 11th February 2018, 06:57 PM   #396
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Any unit offering a balanced output provides the potential for common mode cancellation on the cable connection to the next unit. This has nothing to do with cancelling internal conversion errors in the DAC.
Here is a quote from Lampizator
Quote:
Let's mark the Error like E
Let's mark musical signal like M

The mathematical equation for single ended DAC is

Output=M+E

In the balanced operation we have Mp = positive phase of music, Mn = negative mirror copy, Error is the same for both phases.

Output/Bal = difference between two signals = Mp+E - (Mn +E) = Mp-Mn but Mn = -Mp so Output /Bal = 2M
The error cancels out.

All this is true if the dac is a TRUE balanced type. Sometimes it is hard to say, because DAC chip may have pins with all four signals, but internally the PROCESS is single ended, just the output stage of chip may have opamp-based phase doubler. Rarely the chip is really internally fully balanced.
He implies that true balanced operation cancels conversion distortion. Is he wrong?
Old 11th February 2018, 08:10 PM   #397
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty123 View Post
Here is a quote from Lampizator

He implies that true balanced operation cancels conversion distortion. Is he wrong?
If the errors are the same on + and -. Which they never are.... There can be come advantages with R-2R DACs, but that is because of statistics....

Balanced operation was inverted to cancel noise on cables.
Old 11th February 2018, 09:38 PM   #398
RollE2k is offline RollE2k  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
If the errors are the same on + and -. Which they never are.... There can be come advantages with R-2R DACs, but that is because of statistics....

Balanced operation was inverted to cancel noise on cables.
But this have to depend on the device... Certain devices have to distort kind of the same way, if the circuit is 100% the same.. so that means that the device-specific distortions is canceled out.
Also, if there is any power-supply induced distortions, it should be canceled out.
Usually balanced gain stages have less distortion, which have to depend on that exact cause?
Circuit noise should be the less good thing with balanced circuits, since you have twice active devices - which means twice(3dB) as much noise. Not to confuse that with the cable noise cancellation, which is also another plus on balanced circuits.
Old 20th February 2018, 06:35 PM   #399
bjornp is offline bjornp  Europe
diyAudio Member

Good evening all!

First post here. Received my two beautiful 1121 boards today.
Designing a dual mono, master-slave system.
Just want to straighten out some question marks.

1. EN_AUD: (J1-2)
I know this pin is open collector output with internal pull-up when master, input for slave. Should connect from master to slave?
But what is actually the logic (function) of this pin?

2. SPDIF :
SPDIF input only connected to Master. Master transfers via I2S to slave? Input select command ignored by slave?

3. GND Analog vs Digital
Is Analog ground (on J1) separated from Digital ground (on J2, J3) ?

Thanks,

/Björn
Old 28th February 2018, 12:08 PM   #400
janho12345 is offline janho12345  Germany
diyAudio Member

Did anyone try different i2s cables?

I2S connection does normally run on 50ohm impedance cables, so I'm thinking of a RG178 coax cable, max 5cm. Any suggestions for or against?

Building with the Soekris dam1121Hide this!Advertise here!