Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Building with the Soekris dam1121
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2017, 11:29 PM   #351
derekr is offline derekr  Barbados
diyAudio Member

To definitely rule out the input have you implemented the SPDIF input and tried that as well as the USB?

And just to dot i’s -

Both VCC5D (pins 1 and 2 on J2) are powered?

The Enable Audio pin on J1 should not be connected to anything.

And, of course, the Config pins are all strapped to ground?

What’s the fifth resistor on your board for - the PWR_LED?

You could try something like an RPI running Moode or Volumio etc into the 1121 to rule out the DAM - I doubt that the DAM is your issue. Or a cheap i2s DAC board to see if your input side is working as it should.

Finally, what’s the input impedance of the amp you’re running the raw output of the 1121 into?

Derek
Old 4th December 2017, 12:02 AM   #352
nautibuoy is offline nautibuoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks Derek

To definitely rule out the input have you implemented the SPDIF input and tried that as well as the USB? - No, I have no SPDIF source

And just to dot i’s -

Both VCC5D (pins 1 and 2 on J2) are powered? - Yes

The Enable Audio pin on J1 should not be connected to anything. - It isn't

And, of course, the Config pins are all strapped to ground? - Yes, all tied to ground with 3K3 resistors

What’s the fifth resistor on your board for - the PWR_LED? It's R4 in the DAM1121 manual schematic, 1K0 resistor on the Rx pin

You could try something like an RPI running Moode or Volumio etc into the 1121 to rule out the DAM - I doubt that the DAM is your issue. Or a cheap i2s DAC board to see if your input side is working as it should. - I think the input side is working because the DAM1121 is locking onto the incoming data and reporting the correct oncoming data rate but a cheap I2S DAC is a possibility just to prove the input.

Finally, what’s the input impedance of the amp you’re running the raw output of the 1121 into? - 100K
Old 4th December 2017, 01:10 PM   #353
derekr is offline derekr  Barbados
diyAudio Member

If you have another i2s DAC it’s worth a try.

Do you have extra 2mm headers to connect to the 1121? If so, try removing the 1121 and ‘breadboarding’ it - just to eliminate issues with boards, connectors etc.

What’s your i2s source?
Old 4th December 2017, 09:04 PM   #354
nautibuoy is offline nautibuoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekr View Post
If you have another i2s DAC it’s worth a try.
I've got one somewhere here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekr View Post
What’s your i2s source?
JL Sounds I2SoverUSB. This is my third or fourth one and I've never had a problem with any of them.

I'll embark on some serious trouble shooting at the weekend as you suggest and I'm borrowing an oscilloscope in case it might be useful, though I'm not sure what to check or where at the moment.

Cheers
Old 5th December 2017, 09:41 AM   #355
wyan is offline wyan
diyAudio Member

I've used Amanero and DIYinHK USB interface and both good. Really easy setup. Just need to connect both VCC5D pins. Also need to connect the ground of Amanero/DiyinHK board to the ground of 1121 board. Cheers.
Old 12th December 2017, 05:39 AM   #356
lpbarratt is offline lpbarratt
diyAudio Member

Hi,
My dam1121 arrived today. My AZ OLED setup kits for Soekris dam1021/1121 kit is on it's way, but I did not get the lite kit. I did not read the first post properly. Apart from the unnecessary higher voltage transformer, which I will not use, does anyone know if I can still connect this up to the dam 1121? I do not want to have to send it back and wait again. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you
Old 30th December 2017, 04:30 PM   #357
ynmichael is offline ynmichael
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbarratt View Post
Hi,
My dam1121 arrived today. My AZ OLED setup kits for Soekris dam1021/1121 kit is on it's way, but I did not get the lite kit. I did not read the first post properly. Apart from the unnecessary higher voltage transformer, which I will not use, does anyone know if I can still connect this up to the dam 1121? I do not want to have to send it back and wait again. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you
Probably not since the pins will not match? Perhaps use the AZ Lite instead or wait for AudioZen to finish his build with 1121...?
Old 1st January 2018, 03:26 PM   #358
opp is offline opp  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I'm considering using the dam1121 modules as DACs in my multi channel set-up.

Currently my set-up is this:

Raspberry Pi/Volumio or CD player -----> miniDSPs nanoDIGI via SPDIF/toslink -----> 3*assorted stereo DACs via the nanoDIGIs SPDIF output -----> analog Amp./speakers.

DACs: One Arcam irDAC and two low cost S.M.S.L DACs.

First phase will be replacing the assorted DACs with 3*dam1121 (just a very simple “out of the box” implementation)

A possible 2. phase could be to replace the nanoDIGI with a miniSharch so that SPDIF could be replaced by I2S.

I hope someone here can help answering some of these question:
    1. Has anybody done something similar with the dam1121?

2. Could I get timing issues with the 3*spdif from the nanoDIGI? Eg. that they get slightly out of sync? If there is an issue will I2S solve it? SPDIF cables are 3m long, an I2S implementation will be within the same cabinet. I can't hear any issues in the present set-up, but the stability of the stereo image could be better.

3. I suppose that a bit of jitter is no problem because of the reclocking on the dam1121 – correct?

4. Sřrens recommendation is to have a transformer isolation between SPDIF source and the dam1121 SPDIF input. But the nanoDSP already has transformer isolated SPIF outputs. So could/should I skip the transformer input in front of the dam1121 and connect directly?

5. Would it be advantageous to use one of boards clock as master for the other two? I'm considering buying one dam1121-01 (with the more precise Si570 Oscillator vs Si514 in the -02) and use it as master.
Old 1st January 2018, 03:33 PM   #359
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I run two 1121 from independent toslink using an optical splitter after an Squeezbox. No stability problems here.

If you are ok with max 24/192 I suggest optical as it has the absolutely best isolation properties. And as you say, 1121 handles eventual jitter so only + for toslink except speed limit. A "computer" placed 10 cm from a DAC using galvanic connection :-/ ....

//

//
Old 1st January 2018, 05:04 PM   #360
opp is offline opp  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Thanks - Good to know the dam's works fine with SPDIF/toslink, so I can “tick” that box.

Most of the miniDSP products operate internally at either 48khz or 96khz (nanoDIGI at 96khz). I'm doing xover and some simple room correction digitally in the NanoDIGI, so I have settled with 96khz, until more powerful and cost efficient consumer DSPs emerges.

Building with the Soekris dam1121Hide this!Advertise here!