Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Alternative to the SAA7220 for TDA1541 dac's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2016, 03:53 PM   #21
Torchwood421 is offline Torchwood421  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Page 2

Page 2 of datasheet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0466.jpg (963.5 KB, 271 views)
Old 22nd April 2016, 03:55 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default Page 3

First 3 pages are all you really need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0465.jpg (973.1 KB, 262 views)
Old 23rd April 2016, 04:16 AM   #23
chungtat is offline chungtat  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Thank a lot. I am going to try it.
Old 30th April 2016, 01:54 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up NPC filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungtat View Post
Thank a lot. I am going to try it.
Please do try it and report your findings for every ones benefit. Be sure to review the thread, there are many hints on how to wire it up.
Old 30th April 2016, 02:48 AM   #25
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchwood421 View Post
The NPC SM5814 is cheap. It features more taps and best of all it is doing 18 bit math. SAA7220 is 14 bit math.
I spent some time reverse engineering the SAA7220 - it uses 12bit coefficients, just like the DS says (12*16 multiplier).

Quote:
Sound difference is large. Better clarity and the trebles are awesome with the NPC chip. Something no NOS D/A in my experience can do.
Perhaps your reconstruction filter isn't up to snuff? I certainly had that problem (lack of HF clarity) before I built a sharp filter to take out the images - now my HF is as sweet as I need

Quote:
Nice if someone would emulate the PMD100....
I'll probably be revisiting my digital filter project sometime later this year, using a new LPC5411x chip from NXP which has the interfaces required along with enough MIPs.... I reckon for digital filters, minimum oversampling is best, 4X seems too high.

<edit> Looking at the FR plot for the SM5814 (thanks for the DS!) its a half-band filter and that's definitely sub-optimal for audio.

Last edited by abraxalito; 30th April 2016 at 03:12 AM.
Old 30th April 2016, 03:26 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default NPC SM5814

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
I spent some time reverse engineering the SAA7220 - it uses 12bit coefficients, just like the DS says (12*16 multiplier).

Perhaps your reconstruction filter isn't up to snuff? I certainly had that problem (lack of HF clarity) before I built a sharp filter to take out the images - now my HF is as sweet as I need

I'll probably be revisiting my digital filter project sometime later this year, using a new LPC5411x chip from NXP which has the interfaces required along with enough MIPs.... I reckon for digital filters, minimum oversampling is best, 4X seems too high.

<edit> Looking at the FR plot for the SM5814 (thanks for the DS!) its a half-band filter and that's definitely sub-optimal for audio.
I stand corrected on the 12 bit math. The NPC filter may not be a PMD100, however using the same filter as used with the SAA7220 it is far superior. Lower noise maybe why. These days I have moved more toward passive filters as they harm the sound quality less. My ribbon tweeter tells me there is no comparison. The SM5814 beats the SAA7220 every time. Really has to be heard with high hats and flutes. I would be very interested in an emulation project. If you do it I will be watching and waiting to get on board. The TDA1541 really deserves a better filter then the SAA7220. Sadly I don't have the knowledge to design a solution like you suggest. I did look at the PMD100, trouble is they are all used and very expensive. I hope you come up with a better solution. For now I don't miss the SAA7220 at all.
Old 30th April 2016, 03:32 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
I have been through my passive filter stage - now I'm back into active filters once again, this time around though without opamps. Active filters take up much less room - no bulky inductors.

I totally agree that the TDA1541 is crying out for a much better filter - with the latest LPC5411x chip, at last there's a low enough power part with I2S interfaces available to do the job well. I've watched NXP's MCU range for many years now, this new one's exciting...
Old 30th April 2016, 08:54 AM   #28
Mayday is offline Mayday  Sweden
Project Horder & Blogger
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have been through my passive filter stage - now I'm back into active filters once again, this time around though without opamps. Active filters take up much less room - no bulky inductors.

I totally agree that the TDA1541 is crying out for a much better filter - with the latest LPC5411x chip, at last there's a low enough power part with I2S interfaces available to do the job well. I've watched NXP's MCU range for many years now, this new one's exciting...
That makes me "jump for joy", a new filter option for the TDA1541A

I'm going to try Dave's solution in my parallel Red Baron DAC, it's easy enough to build and wire between WM8804/8805 and the TDA1541A.
Thanks Dave, the minnesotan santa was much appreciated
Old 30th April 2016, 10:06 AM   #29
esgigt is offline esgigt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
using a new LPC5411x chip from NXP which has the interfaces required along with enough MIPs....
You mean this one: http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/LPC5411X.pdf ?

Might be interesting if there could be a SAA7220 pin-compatible solution. Plug-in, you know
Old 30th April 2016, 10:41 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Yes that's the one - its got two I2S peripherals and plenty of RAM along with very low power consumption (running flat out around 7mA draw for the CPU alone). So it should solve one of the biggest issues with the SAA7220, the fact its so power hungry.

The PMD200 (http://www.hifimaker.com/documents/pmd200.pdf) is just a pre-programmed Motorola 56k DSP so I can't see a reason why an ARM chip optimized for DSP work couldn't fulfill the same function here. All the more fitting that Freescale is now a part of NXP

Alternative to the SAA7220 for TDA1541 dac'sHide this!Advertise here!