Dual Mono DAC AK4490/AK4497

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not many people building this DAC so I thought I would share my experience. I have separate super regulated power supplies for the Analogue 5V and the analogue 3.3V. Separating out the Digital 3.3V was not a huge subjective difference in SQ. However running the Analogue voltage at 6.8V was miles better. More clarity and density to the sound.
which kind of mods to the board have to be done to allow the usage of 7V?

In terms of op amps I have tried various including LM49990, LM47910, AD4489 etc The cleanest sounding is LM4990.
you should try the OPA1688 in there... ;)

I would say that this chip is equal to or better than the Sabre ES9018[emoji846]
definitely way better, IMHO.

(at least for what I can tell from the implementations of the two that I have heard so far).

Just finished a DIYINHK ak4490 board. With a standard 7812/7912 psu for op and a lm317 for 3.3v. On the 5v in i'm use a low noise psu set to 6.8v.
I use the xmos USB card from DIYINHK too.
Everything works, but the sound is really bright.
Anyone have the same problem with this pcb?
I have a simple "full-DIYINHK" setup (also with their low-noise PSU boards for everything). No brightness whatsoever.

BTW: the DIYINHK board does not provide a "decoupling" resistor on the OpAmp output... thus you must add a good ~100 Ohm resistor in series with the analog output!

That will make any OpAmp happier and will provide great SQ improvement. ;)

In dual mono form this is one of the best sounding DACs I have heard.
is there a description of your setup somewhere? Or, could you describe how you have done that?

Well, i did use 6.8v where it say 5v.
Wait! Have you modified the board to separate the different supply? Without doing that, you can NOT apply more than 5V there!

which kind of mods to the board have to be done to allow the usage of 7V?

No mods required. Simply connect 7V instead of 5V

you should try the OPA1688 in there... ;)

These are not available from the usual suppliers in the UK but I notice that they are very cheap and seem to have really good specs for a headphone driver op amp. Perhaps somebody could send me a couple?[emoji846]

BTW: the DIYINHK board does not provide a "decoupling" resistor on the OpAmp output... thus you must add a good ~100 Ohm resistor in series

is there a description of your setup somewhere? Or, could you describe how you have done that?

Please see this thread - no mods required to the DIYinHK boards.
Dual Mono wiring for a Vout DAC

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=291672&share_fid=10716&share_type=t

!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No mods required. Simply connect 7V instead of 5V
There's something strange... this is the answer I've got directly from DIYINHK customer service:

3. please notes the max voltage of AVDD is 5V, maximum VDDL/R is 7V, you will need to cut trace on our PCB if you want 7V to VDDL/R.

Supplying 7V to the +5V input of an unmodified DIYINHK board will provide 7V also to the AVDD line... doing so will likely damage your DAC chip.

These are not available from the usual suppliers in the UK
you can get 'em e.g. from Mouser UK: http://www.mouser.co.uk/ or even order directly from TI.

UnixMan said:
BTW: the DIYINHK board does not provide a "decoupling" resistor on the OpAmp output... thus you must add a good ~100 Ohm resistor in series
just add the resistor in series with the analog outputs, wherever you see fit... (also right on the board output connectors, or just before them). They must be outside of the OpAmp NFB loop, but before any cable connection. Their purpose is to "shield" the OpAmp output (and its NFB loop) from capacitive loads (such as cables).

Please see this thread - no mods required to the DIYinHK boards.
Dual Mono wiring for a Vout DAC

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...6&share_type=t
Thank you. That's for what regards the analog out... which is the easy part. But what about the digital in?

How have you connected the USB interface to the two DAC boards I2S inputs to get dual-mono operation?

Last edited:
There's something strange... this is the answer I've got directly from DIYINHK customer service:

3. please notes the max voltage of AVDD is 5V, maximum VDDL/R is 7V, you will need to cut trace on our PCB if you want 7V to VDDL/R.

Supplying 7V to the +5V input of an unmodified DIYINHK board will provide 7V also to the AVDD line... doing so will likely damage your DAC chip.

Disclaimer: I don't have one of these boards yet, but looking at a picture of the board from hifiduino, I don't see any trace connecting AVDD and VREF. I see a connection between AVDD and DVDD as well as VREFR+L and VDDR+L. Am I missing something or is it possible the DIYINHK support team got the pins confused in their response?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disclaimer: I don't have one of these boards yet, but looking at a picture of the board from hifiduino, I don't see any trace connecting AVDD and VREF. I see a connection between AVDD and DVDD as well as VREFR+L and VDDR+L. Am I missing something or is it possible the DIYINHK support team got the pins confused in their response?
mmmh, I'll have to check the board (will also ask them again), but likely you're right: looking at the Ak4490 data-sheet, the AVDD supply voltage allowed range is 3.0V to 3.6V... thus it should be connected to the 3.3V supply line, not to the +5V... (unless it is connected to it through some divider, but that sounds unlikely).

mmmh, I'll have to check the board (will also ask them again), but likely you're right: looking at the Ak4490 data-sheet, the AVDD supply voltage allowed range is 3.0V to 3.6V... thus it should be connected to the 3.3V supply line, not to the +5V... (unless it is connected to it through some divider, but that sounds unlikely).

DiyinHK is privy to the same data sheet as you and I and I looked at the Datasheet and the board quite carefully before I upped the voltage to 6.8V.[emoji846]

Also the i2s signals are simply paralleled to the two mono boards.
well, but then each DAC/board will still be processing both (different) audio channels. That's not "dual mono"... this way you're just using two DACs in parallel.

To get real "dual-mono" - that is, to use both channels of one chip/board for one audio channel (say, R) and the other board for the other channel (say, L) - you would need to act on the I2S signal so to send only "L" samples to (both channels of) one board and only "R" samples to (both channels of) the other.

Am I wrong?
redface.gif
Is there anything I'm overlooking?

well, but then each DAC/board will still be processing both (different) audio channels. That's not "dual mono"... this way you're just using two DACs in parallel.

To get real "dual-mono" - that is, to use both channels of one chip/board for one audio channel (say, R) and the other board for the other channel (say, L) - you would need to act on the I2S signal so to send only "L" samples to (both channels of) one board and only "R" samples to (both channels of) the other.

Am I wrong?
redface.gif
Is there anything I'm overlooking?

Whether the DAC operates in mono mode is set via registers using I2C. If mono mode is selected (and channel specified), I don't think it matters if I2S signals are going to both inputs or not. The DAC will still only operate on one channel.

Is that a correct understanding? Do you still get the increased THD specs if you have signal going to both inputs? Not sure if that affects noise or not.

DiyinHK is privy to the same data sheet as you and I and I looked at the Datasheet and the board quite carefully before I upped the voltage to 6.8V.[emoji846]

As above. I converted mine from 5.0V to 7.04V with no issues (except better sound). the only thing to check is the V of your decoupling caps.

@themystical, IIRC you had a noise/click issue with your setup in dual mono. Did you fix this?

could you provide some more details? (maybe it have been already described in previous posts / somewhere else?) the code is available?

Thank you.

BTW: after checking the caps (default ones, no problems... all >=10V), I have changed +5V to +7V. Indeed, it does work. :)

The Arduino Uno is very simply connected to the I2c, no fancy display or anything. There is no code available in the public domain as far as I know. I simply write the required value for each register using very basic commands. See the Hifiduino site if you want to learn about writing your own code.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.