freeDSP main thread

Hi Jay,

Congratulations! This is a game changer. I just pledged. So where was this discussed? Where can I read the backlog of discussions? It's like all my dreams come true in one package, and it's completely out of the blue!

It was discussed here:
Verstärkermodul mit DSP, 600W, 1-4Kanäle, low-budget, high-quality

There you can read the full story. Unfortunately, it is in German.
I am wondering, should we open a new thread on diyaudio to discuss freeDSP-aurora? Might be handy...

I see there is an application that controls the inputs. Great! One suggestion would be integration into some other open standards.

- MIDI - MIDI - Wikipedia

- Open Sound Control protocol -

The MIDI protocol is already there. It is provided by the XMOS framework. You only have to add the optocoupler stuff for it.

OSC might be a good option for the future. So far, freeDSP-aurora was mainly focussing on hifi applications. But sure, OSC will open new possibilities. Finally freeDSP-aurora is open source, everybody is invited add stuff.

Adding stuff like PCM1865 is not very complicated. You have the freeDSP i2s expansion header. You can use it for this purpose.

Raphael

Hello Raphael,

Thank you for your responses. I want you to know that I'm working on this project to create a digital audio mixer for live professional audio. That might help in context.

It was discussed here:
Verstärkermodul mit DSP, 600W, 1-4Kanäle, low-budget, high-quality

There you can read the full story. Unfortunately, it is in German.
I am wondering, should we open a new thread on diyaudio to discuss freeDSP-aurora? Might be handy...

I do believe creating a separate thread would help, but in a perfect world there would be a separate forum section for all things FreeDSP. Personally, I like separation and I've found myself avoiding posting on this thread so that I don't intrude on anyone else's discussions.

OSC might be a good option for the future. So far, freeDSP-aurora was mainly focussing on hifi applications. But sure, OSC will open new possibilities. Finally freeDSP-aurora is open source, everybody is invited add stuff.

The reason OSC is interesting to me is because this is for a digital mixer project. So OSC would be a good framework for a digital mixer IMO. I'll work on this project with what it's got though, and if I build anything I'll contribute it.

Adding stuff like PCM1865 is not very complicated. You have the freeDSP i2s expansion header. You can use it for this purpose.

I have designed modules for the PCM1865 and the PCM5242 and they have the FreeDSP expansion headers. I realized after working through the design that I think it would be better to incorporate a power supply regulator into the modules and work off the 12v power supplied in the header. Originally I thought maybe working off a centralized power supply would be better. I'll post more about that in the future, maybe after adding some LDO. These modules could probably be contributed to the FreeDSP expansion module lineup. (after some rework)

My PCM5242 Version 1
attachment.php

My PCM1865 Version 1
attachment.php

I missed the launch of the INFINITAS as well! That board is also a gem! It truly can become a high channel digital mixer! So I have a lot to think about right now! In fact, I've been working on a completely separate way to accomplish my goals, and it's time to reconsider!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayShoe View Post
Does the freeDSP-aurora act as a Bluetooth A2DP Sink? A2DP Source?

YouTube
Not yet, because I could not find a free or open source lib for audio over bluetooth on ESP32 yet, but the youtube link may give me a direction where to search.

So the hardware is hooked up to provide the way to do it? Great!

No. sorry. External RAM is not supported.

My research suggests that "With its 20K x 2 Data RAM, the ADAU1452 has plenty of delay available for a good reverb -- and its SigmaStudio stock reverb works well."

Source: Guitar reverb and ADAU 1701 - Q&A - SigmaDSP Processors and SigmaStudio Development Tool - EngineerZone

Reverb is my main purpose of having the extra RAM. So, it's likely that the Aurora has what i need for my project. It might be worth considering adding an expansion port to the device in revision 2 so that it can be used for guitar effects pedals, instruments, loop machines, and other fun stuff...

===========
MIC PREAMP

Do you recommend trying to convert the input stages of the Aurora to allow the gain necessary to add +32db for the dynamic microphones? It seems to have the input stages necessary to amplify a mic (NE5532!). Or do you recommend having a separate mic preamp board? Is there any mic preamp boards already in the horizon that I should know about? By the way, I love the way the analog input ports are designed. Very flexible! Cheers to that!

===========
FreeDSP Discussions

The FreeDSP discussions are really spread out all over the place. It would be nice to have a more centralized way to discuss all things FreeDSP. I don't know if making a google group would be easier? Or ask DIYAudio to create a specific section? But personally I think this one-thread system is problematic.

Also, the FreeDSP website should have 1 page for each project. Link from the main page to each individual page. The sub-page should allow for body text to describe the device in more detail, and link to resources around each device. This would not only be good for SEO (finding devices easier) but documentation would be easier as well, and better discussion... Honestly, I see projects on the FreeDSP website and say "yeah that's cool" but then I have to really dig to find out anything more about each device. Some of them say "help wanted" but then there is no way to know where to offer help, or read up on what help is required... A little more organization might lead to more user contributions. :)

Great work everyone. I'm excited for the Kickstarter to get funded so I can get my board. I might order another one for development purposes. This looks really promising.

Attachments

• PCM5242 PCB Layout 2.png
    PCM5242 PCB Layout 2.png
    146.8 KB · Views: 1,336
  • PCM1865_MODULE_1.png
    PCM1865_MODULE_1.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 906
Sorry, but I have one more question. When connected via USB Header (X401) to the XMOS chip, does this then also grant user control over the ESP32 chip? In other words, I know the ESP32 controls the ADAU1452. So can the XMOS also send commands to the ESP32 so that it can then control the ADAU1452 via the same USB port as the USB Audio?

I would like to control the DSP via USB, while also having USB Audio Streaming over that same USB cable. Otherwise I'll need to send USB Audio via the USB Cable and then controls via Wifi/bluetooth?

Sorry, I'm sure these questions will be answered soon enough but I'm super curious and just getting my plans in order.

Thanks for the info Raphael, I'll do what I can to promote the Kickstarter.
freeDSP-aurora DSP by auverdion — Kickstarter

Can you please point me to the location of the following files? I can't find them.

- XMOS Source
- ESP32 Arduino Source
- dspControl Source
- FreeDSP Firmware Programmer Source
- FreeDSP Firmware Programmer Binary aka "DSPFWPROGRAMMER" in the Getting Started Guide.

The repo (GitHub - freeDSP/freeDSP-aurora: freeDSP ADAU1452 with 8 analog input, 8 analog outputs, S/P-DIF I/O, ADAT I/O, USB Audio Class2, WiFi, Bluetooth) only has KiCad and SigmaStudio sources... Am I missing something or is it not uploaded to the repo yet?

Last edited:
Sorry for not opening a new thread for this question but I don't want to spam this forum for a one liner.

Any news on the freeDSP INSANITY? I've been waiting for this for a while since it is perfect for my application with the 6.3 Jacks. Any chance it will be awailable soon(ish)?

Sorry for not making a new thread for this question but I don't want to spam the forum for a one liner:
Are there any news on the freeDSP INSANITY? With the 6.35 Jacks it is perfect for my application and I've been waiting for this for a while now. Any chance it will be available soon(ish)?

Now I'm Evaluating my CASSIC SMD A/B Design

Hi All, New to the free DSP project but it looks great. I have been playing with DIY hifi for years and am just having a dable with Speaker EQ and DSP. I have a pair of Linkwitz pluto and LXminis.

Is any one running the freeDSP CLASSIC SMD ? Does any one have any bare pcb`s available? If not i was thinking of getting a small batch of PCBS`s run if any one is interested?

Has it been run and tested any issues? any input greatly received.

Many thanks

Ben.

Hi Ben-San,

I just ordered my "CALASSIC SMD A/B" board, few weeks later my evaluation will complete (Hopefully may be...)
After that, I'd like to post my design for all the DIY'er(s)

Regards,
HILO

Attachments

• スクリーンショット 2019-02-17 21.58.50.jpg
    スクリーンショット 2019-02-17 21.58.50.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 683
Sorry for not making a new thread for this question but I don't want to spam the forum for a one liner:
Are there any news on the freeDSP INSANITY? With the 6.35 Jacks it is perfect for my application and I've been waiting for this for a while now. Any chance it will be available soon(ish)?

You may want to use the contact form on freeDSP | An Open-Source Low-Budget Audio DSP
Your email will then be forwarded to the developer team of Insanity.

Hi! I'm a new person in digital sounds. I design boombox this freeDSP.I don't have a freeDSP board, for experiments'.(only in plan) Is it possible to input digital sound direct to freeDSP? I plan to use USB or SD card, this flac. mp3.
I think for this used USB to I2C bridge module. If I am wrong, please write how to do it.
Thanks in advance for the answer.

Attachments

• 3Dview_0v4.jpg
    3Dview_0v4.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 559
FreeUSB_SMD_AB Board ver. 0.4 in evaluation

Hi, A new version board had built.
Now it working as I expected features and performances.

Thanks for all previous FreeDSP project activities.

HILO

Attachments

• building0v4.jpg
    building0v4.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 434
  • SimulatonComeTrue.jpg
    SimulatonComeTrue.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 440
  • BoardTopView.jpg
    BoardTopView.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 192