freeDSP main thread

Hi CyberPit-San,

thank you for taking the time to answer in such a detailed manner! I've read your answer and also some more of this thread. It seems that others have started with a commercial board based on the ADAU1701, before then moving on to building one of the custom boards. And looking for the chip name on eBay or AliExpress yields quite a lot of different boards.

What appeals to me is three-fold: being able to change the output sound from a software, the small size of everything (as compared to my 1990s Yamaha stack), the possibility of keeping everything digital (I2S from the PC right up until the amplifier). Since my speakers are quite benign (a pair of 50W Quadral bookshelf speakers and a pair of 125W Klipsch floorstanding speakers, usually driven rather quietly) I'm thinking to get myself a Wondon JAB5 + cabling set + HDMI I2S extractor + programmer for Christmas. One question about the programmer, as it seems there are three. Between the Sure Programmer, the Cypress and the Free USBi, which one should I get, or does it not matter much?

Best

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan-San,
Well, you can find various ADAU1701-based boards at AliExpress. Also, the ADAU1452/1466 daughterboards are available. So I built an ADAU1466 Full digital Pre-Main Amplifier for my main system. It sounds really good with full digital processing capability.
CYberPit ADAU1466 + TAS6422 Full-Digital Amplifier
(Sorry, My web page is written In Japanese)

Wondon JAB5 looks like DaytonAudio KAB4100. I'm not sure, but those are almost the same profiles. Those products have a proprietary configuration header which is different from the USBi 10P MIL header. Finally, you need to buy Sure Programmer (or Dayton Audio KPX) anyway.

CyberPit

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks to everyone. Many people had interested in FreeDSP-related products and activities.
Exhibition Snapshot
OSC2023ToktoBoothSnap.jpg
CyberPit

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I stumbled across freeDSP and think I have a use case I'd like to dig in deeper.

I have a 2 channel stereo home recording studio where I am using Sonarworks software for room correction. I was thinking about a dsp solution to offload the room correction processing from my CPU.

I am looking for a digital in and digital out solution. I dont want to add a layer or modify my current AD/DA conversion path. I leaning towards AES/EBU in and out. I need the ability to manage sample rates from 44.2kHz to 192kHz. Id also be looking for minimal latency between the in and out.

Can any provide any thoughts or point me in where to direct my research attention?

Hi txshonk
You are writing Sonarworks and Room correction .... but is Sonarworks room correction or "just" speaker correction? From their web page I think it is the last.
With something like freeDSP you can readily correct a set of speakers, working on especially frequency response.

Room correction is difficult, but can be done with e.g. Dirac SW which could run on the more capable freeDSP implementations if we had the right interface, which I believe we don't. But it is done in a similar HW by MiniDSP.

But for a recording studio I don´t think this is actually what you want. In a studio you would make proper acoustic room treatment to make the room behave well, and you would use speakers which is fairly neutral. Speaker correction is for sure a good thing in such setting (as in all settings), to get a neutral in room response. Use REW to measure response and SigmaStudio to insert the needed freq response correction. 2 channel in 2 channel out can be done with a ADAU1701.

Hello txahonk-San, Baldin-San,

If the ADC/DAC is not required, ADAU1701 is not suitable for this case.
ADAU1701 has only I2S and embedded Codecs. Additional cost for DIR/DIT equals more than the upper version SigmaDSP. So, If you want to connect with only digital I/O in various sampling frequencies, you'd better choose ADAU1452/1466 board such as follows...
MusicWorks ADAU1452/1466 Core Board
This board plus USBi or compatible configuration interfaces need such as FreeUSBi or something like that.

CyberPit