Help needed, What to search for!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello friends!

I am not what you can call experienced person when it come to DIY and especially when it comes to the digital line but I'm learning. I do know what I want, though.

I'm looking for the most accurate, musical set up that my budget allows and right now I am looking for a DAC, therefore the help needed since I know that many people here both have more knowledge than me, furthermore the experience that I lack.

My musical source for the moment is a lap top for the digital music and an almost finished Sony PS1, rebuilt as CD player (I have put my old CD player to eternal sleep now). Amplifier is about to be finished in the beginning of the coming year, a Damn Good 300 B Amp from Tom Christensen here at DIY Audio and my expectations are..... high!
Speakers are full range and professionally built with some minor tweaks and more to come.

So the big question is, What to Choose??

My budget is moderate but I have realized that my aim is far higher than I can buy in a butiqe for the money that I intend to use so then the alternative is to build something myself or buy something here that is DIY but ready to use (or at least, almost ready to use).
I have looked at Chineese sites, European sites and American sites and I only get more and more.... dizzy!
I have about $ 150 to use either to buy a DIY kit, loose parts or something ready built.... maybe some $ 50 more but that is the limit so what can I buy/build for that money. I am looking for accurate sound reproduction and highest possible quality when it come to sound/musicality.

Could you please help me with surgestions, it would be appreciated cause I don't have the knowledge nor the experience within this area. Building is another thing, I am a very able monkey with a soldering iron.

Thank you all in advance!!

About the PS 1 as CD Player

I have had the fortune to get an old PS1 that was originally from Japan and it has the old PU7 board with two OpAmps onboard. It mean that I have had to make some new power supply since Sweden is using 240 V and Japan only 110 V.
The DAC is the AKM 4310 VM and the sound is very neutral and also very natural. Specially I like to listen to wind instruments and pianos cause they come out very natrual and relaxed.
I have done rather much tweaking to it (following several DIY:ers earlier contributions and some of my own head (you know monkey with a soldering.....)) and all in all it have turned out very nice. Just about to finish the top aluminium plate and bottom plates so for the moment I am listening to the PC mostly, it will be my chrismas gift to myself to put it in place for listening again.

20150703_105035.jpg 20151005_133821.jpg

Well, back to the DAC....

I take the options mentioned into concideration but then I turn the question ones more to you since I am not convinced that it will be the right solution for me and my ears.
If I would aim for a good to nice solution, (not the most expensive, special-special DAC:s) based on either of the DAC chips 1541, 1541A, or 9018 what money do we talk about?? Could be that I should live with the existing small, simple, cheap and ugly dac for another month or two and try getting that big difference that I aim for.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.