A simple cable to connect I2S over HDMI => I2S over RJ45 devices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Or save the trouble and use the free schematics of PS Audio (ready built PCB's can be bought as well). Difference with the old USB and SPDIF interfaces is so huge that designing an even better interface (that does not suffer from the problems we don't have ;)) seems a challenge. Any new interface and new connector will be a challenge to position in the market. We may only hope the current ones like I2S over HDMI to grow/survive. Personally I would have liked any new interface to have a connector with retention mechanism but apparently that is very old fashioned and costs 1 cent too much.

Actually putting signals down wires using LVDS is often done, especially for some high end test gear, usually custom, but for a simple interface to a DAC it just seems overkill to me....

Point being that that simple interface suffers from its simplicity from the day it was designed. It really surprises me that you guys are not familiar with the drawbacks of SPDIF, it is only out there for more than 30 years :D Disclaimer: despite severe relational troubles SPDIF and I are still together. The kids you know....

This "I2S over HDMI" phenomenon can be shown to you in a good audio shop and it can be audibly evaluated within a few minutes. It is already standard on a few brands. I don't think the industry would opt for another interface if it was not worth the effort or if it would be equal to or worse than the bog standard SPDIF.

Last edited:
Or save the trouble and use the free schematics of PS Audio (ready built PCB's can be bought as well). Difference with the old USB and SPDIF interfaces is so huge that designing an even better interface (that does not suffer from the problems we don't have ;)) seems a challenge. Any new interface and new connector will be a challenge to position in the market. We may only hope the current ones like I2S over HDMI to grow/survive. Personally I would have liked any new interface to have a connector with retention mechanism but apparently that is very old fashioned and costs 1 cent too much.

Point being that that simple interface suffers from its simplicity from the day it was designed. It really surprises me that you guys are not familiar with the drawbacks of SPDIF, it is only out there for more than 30 years :D Disclaimer: despite severe relational troubles SPDIF and I are still together. The kids you know....

This "I2S over HDMI" phenomenon can be shown to you in a good audio shop and it can be audibly evaluated within a few minutes. It is already standard on a few brands. I don't think the industry would opt for another interface if it was not worth the effort or if it would be equal to or worse than the bog standard SPDIF.

The reason SPDIF (AES) survives and has been around 30 years is because it works and supports the requirements quite well. The TV broadcast plant I work in has an AES matrix with 2048 inputs x 2432 outputs - all TDM switched no less which says a lot for jitter because TDM won't work with poor jitter performance. This runs on AES-3 which is 75ohms on BNC. I for one am well aware of the issues of AES distribution and frankly, there really are none provided it's engineered properly. The problems you speak of are mostly found in consumer gear not designed properly or to a low cost.

Just to be clear there is no official standard for I2s as an external interface. To be a "standard" will require acceptance and review by AES, SMPTE, IEEE, ITU. And if these bodies were approached about I2S being used in this manner, I doubt they would be interested. I2S is however an official standard as it's currently implemented chip to chip.

This is currently a hobbyist standard if that. The supporters are not major manufactures but small esoteric garage vendors. That's not to say the product is bad but I don't see this going beyond a niche product within the DIY audio community.

For those who wish to embrace this technology, go for it. It does offer advantages at least on paper. But don't expect to see the next generation of Denon AV receivers or even high end like McIntosh, Theta, or other ultra high end gear with I2S ports.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
That "garage vendors" have designed a system that performs better in home/DIY audio than the flawed SPDIF system. Enough said. Ultra high end (terrible qualification) and SPDIF are not a match made in heaven to say the least.

* Of course this is about interfacing consumer gear. That was the subject of the thread more or less. Diyaudio.com is mostly about diy audio.

Last edited:
That "garage vendors" have designed a system that works better for home/DIY audio than the flawed SPDIF system. Enough said.

* Of course this is about interfacing consumer gear. That was the subject of the thread more or less.

You keep saying the improvements are "huge" yet I have seen absolutely no test and measurement data presented by any of these vendors.

You would hope they used proper test equipment to design these interfaces? You would think they would be proud to show scope captures illustrating the differences against SPDIF and USB.

Were these so called products actually professionally engineered or are they just builds off of data sheets?

Let's see some convincing technical proof of performance.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I should have written "clearly better" as "huge" is a wrong word and exxagerated audio speak. It is clearly better as can be found in opinions of others.

It would be good to see measurements proving what we hear but the ears don't lie with this one. Since I can not produce any proof you can go beyond the beaten path and compare in an audio shop. Like many consumers do as that is their only option. I think you Will be convinced soon enough.

Last edited:
I should have written "clearly better" as "huge" is a wrong word and exxagerated audio speak. It is clearly better as can be found in opinions of others.

It would be good to see measurements proving what we hear but the ears don't lie with this one. Since I can not produce any proof you can go beyond the beaten path and compare in an audio shop. Like many consumers do as that is their only option.

Well to be fair, I won't say there is no improvement. Surely the jitter will be lower, quite lower if the interface is built properly. Now is that audible? Only your ears can determine that.

I2s

I have tried to get İ2s from Marantz CD80. Even i used about 40cm long ordinary single cables and Connect to 8*TDA1541A nos dac. The resul was much better than spdif Connection with no compromising. More details, more resolution, more dynamic sound. After hearing this sound, i can not continue with spdif connection anymore. Now i am removing the digital receiver circuit from my TDA1541 dac and i Will install HDMI sockets both to my CD player and dac. I Will listen CD player with I2s only.

Gustard U10 and LITE DAC 83 MCLK or BCLK connect

Sorry if has been asked before:

I only found the usual pics (from Gustard U12):

For Gustard U10 the HMDI pins are in order (rest are ground or 5V)

1 DATA +
2 GND
3 DATA -
4 BCLK +
5 GND
6 BCLK-
7 LRCK +
8 GND
9 LRCK -
10 MCLK +
11 GND
12 MCLK -

And the DAC I'm trying to connect to is RJ45
1 SCLK+
2 SCLK-
3 SDATA+
4 SDATA-
5 LRCK+
6 LRCK-
7 GND
8 GND

The rest of the pins are clear but MCLK or BCLK to SCLK on the DAC?

For those Chinese non-standard HDMI-I2S, you may consider this (It's basically a RS422 receiver). I have one and works out of the box. Mine is SMSL X-USB which has a mini-HDMI I2S output.

HDMI_I2S_Module.jpg

HDMI cable cross section

Here's the cross section of HDMI cable so you know which small cable is what... also the cables are too small for RJ45 direct mounting.

Basically you have red, green, blue and brown group individually insulated and the rest of the wires in the aluminum (at least that's how my cable was done) insulation.

Gustard H10 does not work, time to buy a U12 :D

So U12 would be:

RED group
---------------------
1 DATA +
2 GND
3 DATA -
---------------------

Green Group
---------------------
4 BCLK +
5 GND
6 BCLK-
---------------------

Blue Group
---------------------
7 LRCK +
8 GND
9 LRCK -
---------------------

Brown Group
---------------------
10 MCLK +
11 GND
12 MCLK -
---------------------

Attachments

• ITEMb.jpg
    ITEMb.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.