jlsounds DAC Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I am looking for a little project and the DAC from JLsounds looks perfect, just need a few questions answered before I go ahead and order, if you don't mind ;)

I will use the I2SoverUSB, AK4490 and LME4910 fully soldered combo along with LCD control board and x2 Power supply board JLsounds.

-What are the recommended transformer/PSU board for the LME49710 filter board? (Dual 15v)
-Will x2 5v PSU JLsounds cover all the Power requirements for the USB/DAC Boards?
-Any pre-made chassis to accommodate the screen?
-Other DAC options available for a similar price?

Many Thanks

Hi Dean,

Here is what I use for mine.
Sound fantastic! Very affordable DAC.
57d1bd5975f4667cdd0440d523460bc9.jpg

-What are the recommended transformer/PSU board for the LME49710 filter board? (Dual 15v)
-Will x2 5v PSU JLsounds cover all the Power requirements for the USB/DAC Boards?
-Any pre-made chassis to accommodate the screen?
-Other DAC options available for a similar price?
- Simple 317/337 2x12-15V will be good enough..
- Yes, use one for 4V and other for 5V..
- No.. AK4490 board remembers settings, test what is best sounding combination for you and then unplug LCD display.. or you can make something like this.. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/236028-xmos-dsd-384-khz-32bit-usb-52.html#post4446377
- There is few, but this is best for money.. forget bunch of cheap chinese crap..

This week I bought the jlsounds I2SoverUSB board v3 and the AK4490 chip. The audio quality is really impressive and having access to chip settings is absolutely must-have (using LCD Board).

My current setup:
Computer with USB as Music Source
I2SoverUSB v3
AK4490 board with
Simple Power Supply (fed by 12V) connected to J10 (on AK board)
DRV603 and
soldered 3.5mm jack (ordered somewhere else)
And for testing the LCD Board to set chip settings (I2C Registers, Shows Sample Rate etc)

I just did want to share it, as I put lot of effort into Software changes on Android (Removing Volume Limits, Bad audio effects - yes they make it sound like in elevator, Room/Speaker Optimizations) and having good hardware (without drivers, hidden code etc) changes the listening experience completely.

What do you think? Is it good starting point for a newbie (like myself..)?

I built a similar combo about a year ago, all preassembled modules from JL Sounds it sounds great using inexpensive ebay psu's. I'm going to upgrade the PSU's to high quality Salas shunt psu shortly to see if I can improve the sound even further. Currently use computer as a source, settled on super slow filter (5), sound quality setting #2, DSD filter at 50 mhz. I think it's a great value for the money.

paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.