SU0 xmos u8 dac + AK4490 questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks, for now I just stuffed one between the case and the regulators and there is just a little contact to the case. I'll try a better solution at some point.

The case seems to be now at 30C (~20C ambient) when it is running and the first regulator at 60C (based on my Flir One), with the USB side end of the case missing. If these are correct readings I should probably be ok.

Taking the same measurements without the pads in place might be the next phase in figuring out if they are necessary or useful in their current use.

Also my dac (XMOS U8 + 4490eq) went malfunctioning constantly after 10-20 mins playing, sound output just stopped after a click sound and foobar stopped as well (stuck), replaced the power regulator LM7805 and 7905 also added a heatsink doesn't really help and make sure it properly grounded with the metal cover.

After unplug the power and USB cord it will resume that will be the only solution.

Don't think it is a power problem since power output and amp section still functioning alright, no clue! seller can be provide a schematic or PCB drawing

Any idea or suggestion?

Hi all, I just bought this DAC and I have the same issue as 24century. I've tried a different USB cable, using my laptop, desktop, and phone as the source, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, and trying all the different USB ports and nothing has worked. When the audio cuts out on the computer, the computer still recognizes that the DAC is plugged in. In order to get sound again, I have to turn the DAC on and off. Can anybody help me fix this? At this point I'm also willing to break it open and take a soldering iron to it if anyone thinks it's a hardware problem and can give me instructions.

Hi all, I just bought this DAC and I have the same issue as 24century. I've tried a different USB cable, using my laptop, desktop, and phone as the source, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, and trying all the different USB ports and nothing has worked. When the audio cuts out on the computer, the computer still recognizes that the DAC is plugged in. In order to get sound again, I have to turn the DAC on and off. Can anybody help me fix this? At this point I'm also willing to break it open and take a soldering iron to it if anyone thinks it's a hardware problem and can give me instructions.

Did you try using a Mac or Linux machine? Looks like a Windows driver problem.

Were you using the headset output or line out to an external amp?

I've been using the headset output but I did try the line out to an out for a bit. Audio still cuts out when trying both. Another thing I've noticed so far is that it cuts out a lot more when connected to my desktop. When I connect it to my laptop it only cuts out two or three times before it stays on. This kind of makes me think it may be a software issue again, but I have no idea where to start with that.

I am guessing it is a power supply issue if the device is still recognised.

Xmos U8 is usually powered from the desktop/laptop via usb so you could try this fix.... It worked for me with an xmos U8 and Ess sabre dac. I just used a usb hub as the power source as a quick fix while I build a linear supply.

[DIY] TNT 221 USB Y-cable [English]

I just tried out a different ac adapter but that didn't help. If I try this usb mod, will the dac know to draw power through the usb port instead of through the DC input port?

Hello,

I'm looking at this DAC too, and could buy it with no risk, at 40€ the board.
But I don't have any other DAC (I used FDA before), and wouldn't be able to compare.
Does it sound good?
Are there some components that could be change to improve it?
I would apreciate if somme peaple who already have it take me their opinion...

Laurent

Hello,

I'm looking at this DAC too, and could buy it with no risk, at 40€ the board.
But I don't have any other DAC (I used FDA before), and wouldn't be able to compare.
Does it sound good?
Are there some components that could be change to improve it?
I would apreciate if somme peaple who already have it take me their opinion...

Laurent
It sounds pretty good for the amount you pay, bought 2 sets two years ago and it sounds amazing back in the day

I increase the input power to 20V and improvement shows.

Op-Amp can be replaced easily and it improves, but this board can only be operated in parallel mode that"s the dark part.

thank you integrin for showing the inside. Saves me opening my device. Mine is integrated in my home system with a (cheap) windows 10 tablet. It sounds very wel regarding the price of EUR 50. I am happy with it!

After 2,5 years i had to reinstall Windows 10 on my little W10 tablet.... But now my xmos drivers have gone... who knows where to download the drivers?

Anyone?

Gr GJ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.