DAC line out too strong. how to fix it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have a Lenehan PDX DAC which runs a Hiface USB input. Dac is feeding analog signal to my HK990 amp. When i set my Foobar volume to max, at some stage, my amps volume get overriden and goes to max dangerously.
I tried feeding my Pioneer receiver and got the signal OVER alert indicating the analog signal is too high from the DAC.
I am told maybe i have to reduce something in the DAC resistors. Can i have some thoughts please?
Thanks
D

If you have the schematic I might be able to help. Isn't the PDX using PCM1704s? If its using some output buffers after the DAC chips then a step-down trafo might be a better solution rather than fiddling inside, voiding any warranty you may have and negatively impacting its resale value. Step down trafos improve dynamics too in general.

Using a resistive attenuator stands a fair chance of reducing the dynamics because of heavier loading on the output buffers. Once you know how much attenuation you need I suggest getting a transformer with the appropriate step-down ratio. This is far preferable to tweaking resistor values inside with no schematic to guide you.

RESOLVED !!!!!!! Halleluja
I spoke to the designer, Clay, who was so helpful. Turns out this particular DAC has a higher voltage output than what my amps accepts as source input. Had the resistor changed to a lower ohmn and VOILA it all worked out.
I can now play with max volume in Foobar and no issue with volume in my amp.
Synergy of components is so important - learnt the hard way.
Thanks for all help and advice... Much appreciated

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.