The Best DAC is no DAC

I got the opportunity last night to get my flipflop board working using HQplayer to upsample redbook flac to DSD and using Roon to control it, as it now supports phones and tablets for remote control really nicely :)
Well I'm hooked! :cloud9: Beautiful music, technically working great and the muting circuit working nice. I didn't even get pops and clicks stopping and starting playback.
Roon is wonderful. Even just re-exploring the music I have on my NAS and learning more about each artist and album and finding how they all interact and relate to each other is a real joy and turned my listening experience into a voyage of exploration and discovery rather than just putting a few albums on. I highly recommend giving the trial a go :)

Does HQplayer upsample on the fly?
Like when streaming from TIDAL?
Hqplayer up samples on the fly, yes :) so you feed pcm in and dsd comes out in real time. I've only tested it with my local flac collection so far, but yes, that's the theory that it will work exactly the same with tidal when you use Roon as the controller. And I know you have to pay for both, but it's a tiny fraction compared to what a lot of people spend on audio and teamed up with a dsd no-dac like this, the overall experience and quality of sound are incredibly hard to beat at any price!

PCB Group Buy Update

Subject to receiving a payment, I have no more Balanced/FlipFlop boards left.

I do have five single-ended boards still available though.

Ray

I lied!

After receiving some more enquiries about FlipFlop boards I have just placed an order for an extra ten. They will take a couple of weeks to be delivered to me and these really will be the last ones.

At this time I have five SE and six FF boards available.

Ray

"Power - connect DSD board pin 1 to your 5V Amanero power supply"

My Amanero operates with 3.3V, is enough for the mute trigger?

I don't think so. You can get lower voltage versions of the relay though;

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1683361.pdf

but then they will pull more current from the supply which might have other implications for the circuit? Maybe it would be possible to drive a 3V relay coil direct from pin 7 - don't know how much current it can deliver?

The power supply doesn't need to be anything special though so a basic 7805 supply should do if you want to run it at 5V.

Ray