The Best DAC is no DAC

Many thanks hazard500 for starting this thread - I've been following it with interest.

Different 74HC74 chips seem to have different max output current (5.2mA or 25mA) and bandwidth (24-94MHz). All other things being equal, would you expect a high current and high bandwidth 74HC74 to be best?
Don't make the same mistake as DF96 and assume that I know something about digital electronics. I just bought the generic chip that was available at local electronics store (Jaycar). They just have the cheapest part, brand is irrelevant to them. And listening right now to DSD files played through the USB/Flip flop combo its sounding good (10cc The Original SoundTrack). Crappy SMPS and all.

That said, if you get a chance to choose you brand, then intuitively it makes sense to go for highest bandwidth and output capability. But ask yourself - what is the load ogoing to be on the flip flop? If you have (say) 2 volt output into a 25k potentiometer than output current is 0.08mA. So I'm guessing that this is not such a big deal. But bandwidth is critical I think. Many of the USB to I2S boards have clocks that go to 49MHz. So I would think that you need at least that much capability in your flip flop. I would steer away from 24MHz jobs. But maybe someone with real experience can chime in.

Does your device play PCM converted to dsd by JRiver?
I use PonoMusic Player, which is a cut down version of JRiver (no video for example). Playing through my on-board sound card (EMU1212M) it is better than FooBar IMHO. But I can't get it play through my DIYINHK USB board. I've sent a message to DIYINHK, they responded that JRiver is commercial software and they don't intend to buy a copy. I've told them that Pono Music World is free and asked them to take a look, but haven't heard back. So just using FooBar at the moment. It works perfectly well if you follow the instructions provided on DIYINHK web site.

For normal DSD (nowadays called DSD64) the clock rate's 2.8MHz. The higher the max clock rate of the flip-flop is, the more noise it'll generate (ground bounce). I'd stick with the slowest possible one that will do 2.8MHz.

A humble CD4013 (4000 series CMOS is the slowest going of all) will certainly cope and can be run at 15V (18V for Intersil/Harris) - with a bigger step-down ratio trafo this will make your power supply less critical. If you've no wish for level translators to the higher rail, then I'd stick with HC. Higher speed CMOS really does need plenty of attention to PSU decoupling to keep the noise under control.

I use PonoMusic Player, which is a cut down version of JRiver (no video for example). Playing through my on-board sound card (EMU1212M) it is better than FooBar IMHO. But I can't get it play through my DIYINHK USB board. I've sent a message to DIYINHK, they responded that JRiver is commercial software and they don't intend to buy a copy. I've told them that Pono Music World is free and asked them to take a look, but haven't heard back. So just using FooBar at the moment. It works perfectly well if you follow the instructions provided on DIYINHK web site.

Sorry I'm still not clear whether it will play ordinary PCM files converted to DSD, or will it only play DSD. I'm asking because I tried similar with jlsounds usboveri2s and cant get it to play converted files. Havent tried native DSD files, maybe only they work?
Apparently guys in Europe use the jlsounds and get it to work with HQPlayer. Must be a setting or something I've missed.

Sorry I'm still not clear whether it will play ordinary PCM files converted to DSD, or will it only play DSD. I'm asking because I tried similar with jlsounds usboveri2s and cant get it to play converted files. Havent tried native DSD files, maybe only they work?
Apparently guys in Europe use the jlsounds and get it to work with HQPlayer. Must be a setting or something I've missed.
Sorry I cant answer your question directly. What I can say is this:
I can get Pono Music World to play PCM files and DSD files converted to PCM using my on board sound card.
I cant get Pono Music World to play anything (DSD or PCM) through the DIYINHK USB board. I am waiting for some help from DIYINHK support.

But FooBar will play DSD files (DoP) through the DIYINHK USB card. Try Foobar. The JLSounds card looks pretty nice on the web page, I know you cant play DSD at the moment but can you play PCM? What do you think of it?

Sorry I cant answer your question directly. What I can say is this:
I can get Pono Music World to play PCM files and DSD files converted to PCM using my on board sound card.
I cant get Pono Music World to play anything (DSD or PCM) through the DIYINHK USB board. I am waiting for some help from DIYINHK support.

But FooBar will play DSD files (DoP) through the DIYINHK USB card. Try Foobar. The JLSounds card looks pretty nice on the web page, I know you cant play DSD at the moment but can you play PCM? What do you think of it?

I bought the JL usboveri2s with the matching AK4396 dac. I removed the opamps as I hate the sound of them, (although,I have heard some good implementations.) Without the opamps it sounds pretty good, and I suspect the usboveri2s plays a major part in it. I havent been able to get anything solely out of the usboveri2s

You're suggesting using opamps as power supply regulators? Due to large amounts of NFB opamps have inductive output impedance so whilst noise might not be an issue at LF, it certainly becomes an issue at HF. HF noise on the supply rails becomes HF jitter on the DSD output seeing as with CMOS, the switching point is a function of the supply voltage.

It depends what you're converting the PCM to.

If you're converting the PCM to 'native' DSD (i.e. DSD64 or DSD128, dsf/dff file format) you have DSD data available. That is the data required for Hazard's device to work.

If you're converting the PCM to DoP, which is still DSD data but packaged to look like PCM packets, your receiving device will have to unpack the DoP to derive DSD data. You can't 'play' DoP per se.

Ray

For normal DSD (nowadays called DSD64) the clock rate's 2.8MHz. The higher the max clock rate of the flip-flop is, the more noise it'll generate (ground bounce). I'd stick with the slowest possible one that will do 2.8MHz.

I'm no expert in this field but I understand there is a sound argument for using higher rate DSD (256/512) with solutions such as the one this thread is discussing based on the noise of the carrier signal being moved further from the audio bandwidth?

Ray

yilingcheng said:
is dsd similar to dab?
DSD and DAB are very different. Both are very different from DRM, which is what your link was about. The link was about using a valve to receive the DRM datastream, heterodyned onto a 12kHz carrier and then fed into a PC sound card for software demodulation. Completely irrelevant to this thread.

ok, so no way to buffer and filter dsd signal through a tube instead of 1:1 transformer?
You need a lowpass filter. There are lots of ways of doing this. Some use valves.

by the way this is one of the best thread i have been following on diyAudio
You need to read more threads. This is one of the sillier threads I have read. You don't need a DAC to convert DSD to analogue, as it was never digital to start with but merely uses pulse density modulation to carry the analogue signal.

Actually, that is not quite right as the original source was digital, so the real DAC is the circuit which converts to DSD. It's just that the signal analogue used is not voltage but pulse density so people think it is still digital.

It depends what you're converting the PCM to.

If you're converting the PCM to 'native' DSD (i.e. DSD64 or DSD128, dsf/dff file format) you have DSD data available. That is the data required for Hazard's device to work.

If you're converting the PCM to DoP, which is still DSD data but packaged to look like PCM packets, your receiving device will have to unpack the DoP to derive DSD data. You can't 'play' DoP per se.

Ray

Thanks

Sorry, I jumped to a conclusion: that someone messing with digital electronics and choosing a flip-flop would know enough digital electronics to know what a flip-flop does (and what a logic gate does).
So how does one learn anything about digital electronics if you don't mess with it? You want me to get a degree before I start messing with digital electronics?
This is one of the sillier threads I have read. You don't need a DAC to convert DSD to analogue, as it was never digital to start with but merely uses pulse density modulation to carry the analogue signal.

Actually, that is not quite right as the original source was digital, so the real DAC is the circuit which converts to DSD. It's just that the signal analogue used is not voltage but pulse density so people think it is still digital.
If you find this thread silly please feel free to ignore it rather than continuing to add condescending comments. No please I really mean it - ignore this thread.

BTW the way I don't have any idea what you mean in your last paragraph. If I think about the Rolling Stones SACD's - the analog master tapes were taken out of the vault then passed through a 1 bit ADC to make a DSD file (DSD stands for Direct Stream Digital by the way). But according to you "the original source was digital" and the ADC is "the real DAC which converts to DSD". So the anlaog source is now a digital source and the ADC is now a DAC. OK.

...You don't need a DAC to convert DSD to analogue, as it was never digital to start with but merely uses pulse density modulation to carry the analogue signal.

actually while I also have same reaction to the tone, I think DF96 succinctly and accurately describes DSD. I found it is useful to read up on DSD and then I found it useful to read about Pulse Density Modulation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-density_modulation#Applications