Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

The Best DAC is no DAC
The Best DAC is no DAC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2016, 04:21 AM   #731
hazard500 is offline hazard500  Australia
diyAudio Member

Here is a look inside. The JLSounds board is on the right. To the left of JLSounds is a small vero board with the flip flop. Then to the left of this are the transformers. You can see the 2 power switches on the front panel (LHS of the picture) and the 2 selector switches. I have only wired the no-dac into the selector switches for the moment, I want to make sure that its working before I wire up the other inputs.

You can also see a few voltage regs. The dirty power supply is a 12V SMPS. This goes through a 7809 then a 7805 before the power goes to the board. The 'clean' supply is a 6V SLA battery as described in my earlier posts. The 6V goes directly to the flip flop, and also through another 7805 before it goes to islolated side of the JLSounds board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dac inside.jpg (88.9 KB, 478 views)
Old 6th February 2016, 04:58 AM   #732
hazard500 is offline hazard500  Australia
diyAudio Member

Not much to see on the back. There is an input socket for the power (DIN socket) top right hand corner. You can see the USB input for the JLSounds below that. To the left are the other inputs. I have mounted sockets on the bottom row (left) and I still need to put sockets in the top row (right).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dac back.jpg (39.1 KB, 466 views)
Old 6th February 2016, 11:08 AM   #733
nautibuoy is offline nautibuoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

This morning I've been listening to music through both the single-ended and flip-flop boards (not at the same time I hasten to add!). I've been using my home cinema amp and speakers as a test platform so no really critical listening so far.

I installed the SE board into my original project, replacing my initial simple filter and mute board. Although essentially the same circuit I did make some changes; I replaced the 22uF DC blocking caps with some 1uF caps that are mounted off-board, the -3dB filter point is at 80KHz instead of 40KHz. It sounds nice. Here's a picture of the board in situ;

Click the image to open in full size.

I then moved on to testing the flip-flop project. If you've been paying attention you'll know this is a balanced set up with a Broskie BCF buffer stage. Anyway, it worked first time and sounds excellent, noticeably better than my initial project (I'm not saying that the flip-flop is better than the SE as they are significantly different projects and much more time and money has gone into the flip-flop project). -3db filter point for this project is 80KHz. Here's a picture of the flip-flop project;

Click the image to open in full size.

Tomorrow I'll do some more critical listening in the main system and put the muting through its paces - so far there have been no extraneous noises with either project.

I'll post more information about the projects later.

On the basis of this mornings session it looks as though we have a green light for the group buy for the PCBs.

Ray

Last edited by nautibuoy; 6th February 2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 6th February 2016, 02:21 PM   #734
leon77 is offline leon77  Italy
diyAudio Member

Wow, good work!
Old 6th February 2016, 04:58 PM   #735
anjump123 is offline anjump123  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Has anyone tried this with Bughead Emperor?
Old 6th February 2016, 05:57 PM   #736
diyAudio Member

The Best DAC is no DAC

Parafeed output, what do you think?
Old 6th February 2016, 07:41 PM   #737
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard500 View Post
Here is a look inside. The JLSounds board is on the right. To the left of JLSounds is a small vero board with the flip flop. Then to the left of this are the transformers. You can see the 2 power switches on the front panel (LHS of the picture) and the 2 selector switches. I have only wired the no-dac into the selector switches for the moment, I want to make sure that its working before I wire up the other inputs.

You can also see a few voltage regs. The dirty power supply is a 12V SMPS. This goes through a 7809 then a 7805 before the power goes to the board. The 'clean' supply is a 6V SLA battery as described in my earlier posts. The 6V goes directly to the flip flop, and also through another 7805 before it goes to islolated side of the JLSounds board.
why do you don't had used for power supply something of better? You could to use Lt3080 low dropout, also if I don't see all thing around the regolator, filter and others...What trasformer ratio did you have used?
Old 6th February 2016, 08:30 PM   #738
nautibuoy is offline nautibuoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard500 View Post
I reckon you should increase the price to recompense you for all the time its taking you not just to design it, but to organise the group buy.
Thanks for the positive comments and sharing your project with us Hazard.

Your comment above is quite timely as I've been thinking about the effort that will be required to get this group buy progressed; I never expected anything like this level of interest when I offered the spare PCBs. I certainly don't want to appear as though I'm treating this as a money making exercise but equally I don't want to be 'out of pocket'. How would people feel if I was to revise the price to £3 and £4.50 per SE and flip-flop boards respectively - shipping would still be at cost?

Ray
Old 6th February 2016, 09:51 PM   #739
barryblue is offline barryblue  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default pcb price rise

That is an extremely modest increase Ray and I am happy to pay the new prices.

Barry
Old 7th February 2016, 04:07 AM   #740
RushBattle is offline RushBattle  United States
diyAudio Member

The Best DAC is no DAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryblue View Post
That is an extremely modest increase Ray and I am happy to pay the new prices.

Barry
Agreed.

The Best DAC is no DACHide this!Advertise here!