The Best DAC is no DAC

OK, I know that's not the picture you wanted.

Try this one;

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A mixture of SE and FF boards.

I have left the small tabs on the PCBs from where they were nested at the fabricator. It would take me a couple of hours to remove them all but it should only take each of you a few minutes; how's that for delegation!:)

Anyway, as I said previously, they should all be sent today so the UK recipients should have something to play with over the weekend and the rest of you next week.:xfingers:

One thing on the flipflop BOM: for my TVC project it has been suggested that I substitute a a flipflop IC with more output current capability than the one I specified. I plan to build up another board and to explore the noise with the TVC over the weekend and I have ordered some of these;

CD74ACT74E - TEXAS INSTRUMENTS - 74ACT CMOS, 74ACT74, DIP14, 5.5V | Farnell element14

Just passing on the suggestion, the choice of parts is up to you of course.

Cheers

Ray

Boards received. Very nice quality.

I didn't manage to get components already as I am waiting for some Salas boards.
My preamp is a TVC and will be interesting to see how it works without the lp filter. Is the initial worrying about 1.6V coming out of the JLSounds board still an issue? A cap will be in order in that case to stop dc to reach the tvc primaries.

I guess I will have to go through the whole thread, that in the main time got quote long, from the beginning to find all the relevant electric diagrams and tips .

Any advise on the quality of the PSUs for the mute and split circuits? Probably the USB DC is good enough for the mute but do we need another separate super regulator for the splitter?

Thanks for all the work you put in this little useful board.

Boards received. Very nice quality.
:up:

My preamp is a TVC and will be interesting to see how it works without the lp filter.

It's too good for me not to try and sort out the noise issue

Is the initial worrying about 1.6V coming out of the JLSounds board still an issue? A cap will be in order in that case to stop dc to reach the tvc primaries...

You still need to address the DC offset issue on the SE board. On the balanced the theory is that the differential outputs cancel it; I believe that's why Hazard started down the flipflop route with his Llundahls.

Any advise on the quality of the PSUs for the mute and split circuits? Probably the USB DC is good enough for the mute but do we need another separate super regulator for the splitter?

The FlipFlop is powered from the clean side power supply.

I use a pair of these, one for 'dirty' side and one for the 'clean'. Power supply connection is via screw terminal blocks on the SE or FF boards with power provided to the JLSounds board via the headers.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/263618-tps7a4700-low-noise-ldo-regulator-pcb.html

They work very well and are good value. Ales is a good guy.

Ray

Last edited: