The Best DAC is no DAC

As mentioned in my first post, i am having trouble playing 48k files (including 96k and 192k) via DSD. I am resampling these files to 174.4k in foobar, before FooBar converts them to DSD.

The JLSounds USB (3rd on the list) states that it supports DSD64 (2.8224MHz and 3.0720MHz). I'm guessing that this is essential to play 48k files without re-sampling. The DIYINHK datasheet is not clear about this - I am guessing that it doesn't support DSD64 3.072MHz because it won't play it back. unless I have done something wrong!!

So for each card we consider we need to confirm capability with 48k files.

The second DAC in your list above states that it supports DSD64(2.822400MHz) and DSD128(5.644800MHz). No mention of DSD64 3.072MHz. So it may also have trouble with 48k files.

Last edited:
Seems you would mention WAVE IO especially since one of those you did mention looks a awful lot like a copy of WAVE IO ...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/188902-xmos-based-asynchronous-usb-i2s-interface.html

"LORIEN" is a true gentleman and a great pleasure to do business with.
Looks like DSD support for this board is still in beta development if i read his web site correctly?

32Bit/384 KHz + 64/128 DoP + 64/128 Native DSD supportfor WaveIOs with RevisionID 0x0331 or higher - beta version !!

As mentioned in my first post, i am having trouble playing 48k files (including 96k and 192k) via DSD. I am resampling these files to 174.4k in foobar, before FooBar converts them to DSD.

The JLSounds USB (3rd on the list) states that it supports DSD64 (2.8224MHz and 3.0720MHz). I'm guessing that this is essential to play 48k files without re-sampling. The DIYINHK datasheet is not clear about this - I am guessing that it doesn't support DSD64 3.072MHz because it won't play it back. unless I have done something wrong!!

So for each card we consider we need to confirm capability with 48k files.

The second DAC in your list above states that it supports DSD64(2.822400MHz) and DSD128(5.644800MHz). No mention of DSD64 3.072MHz. So it may also have trouble with 48k files.

I tried the I2SoverUSB converter with direct out DSD connections with first order filter, which apparently is how the European guys are doing it.
But I couldn't get it to work with JRiver encoding to dsd. Does it only work with foobar? Any ideas?

I think this is what the late Allen Wright was using with his SACD player upgrades. I owned one for several years and the sound quality was excellent.

http://www.vacuumstate.com/fileupload/SACD_2005.pdf

Also, there is no need to focus on USB devices. Something like a Beaglebone Black running miero's Botic Linux distribution will accept streamed native DSD and output DSD on the BBB header and if coupled with something like Acko's SO3 and BBB interface board or TPA Chronus/Hermes combo you can have the data isolated from the BBB and reclocked through a FIFO to reduce jitter.

I'm currently streaming dsf and dff files in this way, over a UPnP infrastructure (Media Library - Asset V5 beta 8; control point - BubbleUPnP). I'm using an Acko SO3 reclocker and BBB/DSD interface card, to deliver reclocked data to a Buffalo IIIse DAC.

Ray

Last edited:
It was my understanding the if you used the foo_dsd_asio driver Foobar can play native DSD, at least that what my DAC displays when I do it.

Attachments

• 13-07-04 Screen Shoots01_2.JPG
    13-07-04 Screen Shoots01_2.JPG
    593.7 KB · Views: 2,824
  • 13-07-04 Screen Shoots01.JPG
    13-07-04 Screen Shoots01.JPG
    592.6 KB · Views: 2,729
Joined 2005
Paid Member
From what I understand, the DSD signal is a "PWM'ed" analog signal.

The only amps I know that amplify a digital signal is the Equibit amps, and they are not Class D.

Class D is analog in - analog out. Somewhere in the Class D circuit, the signal gets "PWM'ed, and "De PWM'ed""

I think this is what the late Allen Wright was using with his SACD player upgrades. I owned one for several years and the sound quality was excellent.

http://www.vacuumstate.com/fileupload/SACD_2005.pdf

Also, there is no need to focus on USB devices. Something like a Beaglebone Black running miero's Botic Linux distribution will accept streamed native DSD and output DSD on the BBB header and if coupled with something like Acko's SO3 and BBB interface board or TPA Chronus/Hermes combo you can have the data isolated from the BBB and reclocked through a FIFO to reduce jitter.

I'm currently streaming dsf and dff files in this way, over a UPnP infrastructure (Media Library - Asset V5 beta 8; control point - BubbleUPnP). I'm using an Acko SO3 reclocker and BBB/DSD interface card, to deliver reclocked data to a Buffalo IIIse DAC.

Ray

So the BBB's layout is DSD speed proof, but because its embeded clock issues, you advise to reclock it with a FIFO (aka Ian's FIFO with clock board and with an isolator between the BBB and the FIFO/reclocker...) ?

Interresting if one can avoid an USB to I2S card... I believed nano card to I2S output were not good enough (mostly because their I2S output layout were bad and the USB output was advised instead despite one another card needed - the USB to I2S mentionned above - .

Do you need an extra pcb to output I2S from BBB with a good quality ?

Last edited:
So the BBB's layout is DSD speed proof, but because its embeded clock issues, you advise to reclock it with a FIFO (aka Ian's FIFO with clock board and with an isolator between the BBB and the FIFO/reclocker...) ?

I have run DSD128 with my BBB based DAC so is that DSD speed proof? DSD256 may or may not be possible but it would be pushing the BBB very hard.

Actually, the Acko SO3 I am currently using also provides the clocking for the BBB (it's own clock is disabled.)

Regarding reclocking, it's a good idea to get the lowest jitter data to feed your DAC, nothing specifically about BBB clock (it is ordinary). You could use Ian's FIFO for reclocking but, again, the Acko SO3 includes it's own isolators and FIFO so no need for Ian's solution in my set up.

The Acko SO3 board has three sections, isolated input, high quality dual (if needed) clocks, and a FIFI reclocker.

Hope that helps

Ray

Last edited:

Ray

Looks like a very steeply priced combo, I stopped looking at the rest when I saw the price for S03 alone.

I have a laptop I found in the junk - if I can slap in an USB XMOS card and LP filter for a total of 100eur and get the bit perfect DSD performance I could drool over, that would get my undivided attention.

Last edited:
Looks like a very steeply priced combo, I stopped looking at the rest when I saw the price for S03 alone.

I have a laptop I found in the junk - if I can slap in an USB XMOS card and LP filter for a total of 100eur and get the bit perfect DSD performance I could drool over, that would get my undivided attention.

It's not steeply priced, I think the components are appropriately priced, reflecting their quality and the efforts of the guys behind them.

But, if you want to build down to a price rather than up to a quality, put the laptop back in the junk, forget the USB card and get a £35 Beaglebone and load the free Botic Linux distribution. That'll give you DSD output to feed your LP filter. You can load you music on the Beaglebone as well if that suits.

Last edited:
It's not steeply priced, I think the components are appropriately priced, reflecting their quality and the efforts of the guys behind them.

But, if you want to build down to a price rather than up to a quality, put the laptop back in the junk, forget the USB card and get a £35 Beaglebone and load the free Botic Linux distribution. That'll give you DSD output to feed your LP filter. You can load you music on the Beaglebone as well if that suits.

Never mind, I somehow mistakenly found 250USD price for S03.

Never mind, I somehow mistakenly found 250USD price for S03.

That's about right for the price of a fully assembled board complete with a pair of high quality clocks.

Whether you're using a USB board or something like a Beaglebone using isolation and reclocking definitely pays dividends and I suspect that will be even more the case with DSD as I understand it to be jitter sensitive.

Is BBB capable of everything Foobar on a PC is? Most of the music will still be in PCM, so pain-free conversion PCM->DSD will be also quite necessary for example.

I've never used Foobar so have no idea what it can do so I can't answer your question directly.

Beagebone/Botic uses mpd as it's base audio player with additional capability built around it.

Botic is designed to be a network renderer (taking data off the network and presenting it as I2S or DSD to the downstream DAC components) or you can use it with music files stored locally. I don't believe it will transcode as per your example, but often in a network scenario that function is performed on your media server.

I use JRiver MC on my laptop and using UPnP capability (Botic is UPnP capable and you can turn it on inside JRiver, that allows you to select Botic as an output to JRiver) I have transcoded media and played it on Botic.

Ray