Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

The Best DAC is no DAC
The Best DAC is no DAC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2019, 06:49 AM   #2251
mterbekke is offline mterbekke  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlevoice View Post
Hi again ...

I suggested adding a feature to the Subscribed Thread functionality which was to allow for adding notes to each subscribed thread".

I sometimes find it to be a challenge to remember where I read "something" - and IMHO it would be feasible if somehow it was possible to add comments in relation to a specific thread so as to assist my memory ...

Cheers,

Jesper
That's a great idea Jesper, I also think it should be improved upon to keep access to relevant info on mega threads like these. Also: searching is possible on the pc but somehow not on my phone.

Btw Jesper, I still owe you some answers a few pages back. When time permits I'll have s go at them but one I remember is the excessive lf spikes. It is because of bad wiring picking up all sorts of hum etc.
Have a good one!
Old 8th July 2019, 10:42 PM   #2252
Zoran is offline Zoran  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelvdG View Post
Hi all,

I could probably find this myself by looking through all 2247 posts, but out of sheer laziness I'll just ask it:

Some of the circuits in this NoDAC thread use relays for the mute function, but the Signalyst DSC2.something uses an electronic switch. Does an electromechanical relay for the mute work or is it too slow to prevent thumps and clicks?
I tried a few circuits for mute-dad-change sample rate etc. (I needed -enable to turn off discrete dad modules when R2R I2S modules are operate, and opposite when DSD pesent)... And it seems that is a n issue with amanero soft. Because always it is too fast with un-mute and simultaneously going into 2 datas changing SR and/or dad/i2S... That is why many users do some delay for un-mute. To pass all other "clicks". Or additional arduino re-mute. Also it is not easy to for instance get the SR indication infoes with simpile decode...
I think that could be corrected with code. A few lines to add for delay to un-mute after all changes?
I don't know about other interfaces I can check with new xmos model.
Old 9th July 2019, 03:52 AM   #2253
xx3stksm is offline xx3stksm  Japan
diyAudio Member

The Best DAC is no DAC
Default mute time

I'm sure the necessary mute time depends on your setup. If your interface is Amanero, your software is also relevant to the mute time. Even both the interface and software are the same, the amplitude of the input signal and OSR can be variables. In my setup where PCM to DSD is hardware implementation, required mute time is predictable. You are free from pop noise if you have 0.1second mute time as long as no change from 44k family to 48k. If it occurs, 0.5second is mandatory for secure operation because not selected oscillator is usually disabled. Enabling another oscillator, waiting for stable operation and PLL lock take some additional time.

You need to clear buffer memory in the oversampling filter to avoid the unexpected operation of DSM. OS filter usually has 1k taps for FIR. It takes 10milisecond in 96kHz sampling(1000*10microsecond) to replace 1k words with zero. 90milisecond is enough for DSM to catch up with a new frequency. That's why 0.1second mute time can guarantee no pop switching. Familly change needs additional 0.4second. An onboard oscillator is mandatory to interface with Rpi, where no system clock available and BCK is jittery. The onboard Xtal based oscillator can recover very clean system clock from LRCK which is jitter-free even in Rpi(an easy and effective way to interface with Rpi). So, I recommend built-in two Xtal based oscillators for versatile use even if it has some startup time.
Old 9th July 2019, 04:36 AM   #2254
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Thanks all, that's precisely the information I needed. Is it sufficient to just extend the MUTE pulse, or should the (MUTE or not DSDON) pulse be extended?
Old 9th July 2019, 06:28 AM   #2255
nautibuoy is offline nautibuoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelvdG View Post
Thanks all, that's precisely the information I needed. Is it sufficient to just extend the MUTE pulse, or should the (MUTE or not DSDON) pulse be extended?

Hi Marcel. I think ppy's DSC2 projects have muting well-sorted, maybe ask about it on that thread. He keeps his projects in the open so I don't imagine he'll be anything but helpful.
Old 9th July 2019, 06:37 AM   #2256
gentlevoice is offline gentlevoice  Denmark
diyAudio Member

The Best DAC is no DAC
@mterbekke:

Quote:
Btw Jesper, I still owe you some answers a few pages back. When time permits I'll have s go at them but one I remember is the excessive lf spikes. It is because of bad wiring picking up all sorts of hum etc.
It is fine ... no worries ;-) As I wrote a couple of pages back I am currently deep in another project so I am just ever so slightly following this (interesting) thread. But I'd like to hear your feedback in due time - when suitable for you.

Cheers,

Jesper

The Best DAC is no DACHide this!Advertise here!