Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

The Best DAC is no DAC
The Best DAC is no DAC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2015, 11:14 AM   #11
hazard500 is offline hazard500  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giannettino View Post
We have discussed that in Italy for many weeks.....if you can..take a look to jlsounds usbi2s interface..with double proper power supply..(LT3080 based in most of our cases)..the results can be stunning (HQplayer as "engine")
Sorry for my english...
Yes had a look and this does look like a nice kit.

I2SoverUSB - I2S over USB Audio

I've already got my USB receiver but anyone else interested in this approach should be looking at this product.
Old 28th April 2015, 11:16 AM   #12
Gopher is offline Gopher  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Am I just being stupid, but why do you think there is no DAC involved? Where do you think the analogue audio you are listening to is coming from?
Old 28th April 2015, 11:39 AM   #13
hazard500 is offline hazard500  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher View Post
Am I just being stupid, but why do you think there is no DAC involved? Where do you think the analogue audio you are listening to is coming from?
I'm not sure what you are getting at Gopher. I think that there is no DAC involved because I deliberately left out the DAC from my circuit. The USB receiver takes the digital signal from the PC and outputs digital data in I2S format (if PCM) or DSD (or DSD). This usually goes to a DAC. But I am feeding the DSD data straight into a transformer.

Are you suggesting that the transformer is the DAC? I guess technically you could say that the transformer is performing the function of a DAC but I don't think that anyone would describe a Lundahl LL1527XL transformer as a DAC. Would you?

Another way of thinking about this - if I did use a DAC I would still need an IV convertor and some other output circuitry at the end of the DAC. Some people even use a transformer for DAC output stage. In ths case the signal path would be

USB Receiver ---> DAC ---> transfomer (output stage).

But my signal path is this

USB Receiver ---> transformer. No DAC!!
Old 28th April 2015, 12:00 PM   #14
nironiro is offline nironiro  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Wery good thread!
Me to remember that Sony says that DSD (SACD) only needs LPF, without DAC.
It looks similar to class D amplifier, output inductor (LPF) to get NF output for speakers.
Anybody tried this with just ordinary active 3 pole LPF?
Old 28th April 2015, 12:11 PM   #15
apnneto is offline apnneto  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Subscribed

Old 28th April 2015, 04:37 PM   #16
leon77 is offline leon77  Italy
diyAudio Member

hi all, an similar project is DSC1 by Miska, and he will issue a new revision in a few months, I Hope that with nodac With His project will Hqplayer sinergy of the best sound!
Old 28th April 2015, 05:45 PM   #17
Retsel is offline Retsel  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Transformers

You should talk with Dave Slagle at Intact Audio in the US. He loves winding one off transformers like this - he likes the challenge. He will do high nickel cores too and special wires.

Retsel
Old 28th April 2015, 06:23 PM   #18
mcluxun is offline mcluxun  United States
diyAudio Member

any differences between DSD64/128/256?
Old 28th April 2015, 07:06 PM   #19
kukynas is offline kukynas  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

definitely interesting thread
Old 28th April 2015, 08:12 PM   #20
RajkoM is offline RajkoM  Bosnia and Herzegovina
diyAudio Member

Default Subscribed

nice

The Best DAC is no DACHide this!Advertise here!