Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

The Best DAC is no DAC
The Best DAC is no DAC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2018, 02:40 PM   #1881
francolargo is offline francolargo  United States
diyAudio Member

in essence, the 'noDAC' is nothing more than a powered isolator. I tried it and concluded that the main sticking point is sample rate. If the DSD rate is 256 or higher then the top-end filters can be less destructive. In the end, the sound was not sufficiently improved for me to put in the work to transition my atypical system. I remain interested in the cause for the sonic differences between PCM and DSD, and my working hypothesis is that some artifact of PCM is actually manifest at the level of driver cones. ...which is consistent with the range of reactions to the 'noDAC' method, as the properties of our speakers undoubtedly vary tremendously.
Old 25th December 2018, 04:03 PM   #1882
mcspack is offline mcspack  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah in some systems DSD128 was the big improvement with some not noticing any big change between that and DSD256. Other systems swear by the improvements gained by shifting the noise into the higher spectrum. I'm sure some systems prefer PCM over a noDac. I think it depends on the implementation of the noDac or the DAC. I plan on copying hazard's latest noDac efforts. As far as isolation, I will be using twisted pear teleporters, which should handle that.
Old 30th December 2018, 09:27 PM   #1883
Presley is offline Presley
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcspack View Post
I plan on copying hazard's latest noDac efforts. As far as isolation, I will be using twisted pear teleporters, which should handle that.
i am very interested in your idea, please post some photos if you will
Old 6th February 2019, 02:04 PM   #1884
diyAudio Member

Wondering if high quality, naked foil resistors, or exotic caps would make a difference in this noDac circuit? I mean we normally take great care with anything in the audio path. But is it necessary here? This is sort of a hybrid ana/digi, right?
Old 6th February 2019, 02:05 PM   #1885
diyAudio Member

Hey there Presley,

I'm getting closer to working on audio projects again, hope to have some photos for ya soon, next month or so maybe.
Old 6th February 2019, 02:14 PM   #1886
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Anything affects the sound Mcspack its only a matter of whether its better or worse.
Lots of testing of parts involve though.
Old 7th February 2019, 06:24 PM   #1887
Presley is offline Presley
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hey there Presley,

I'm getting closer to working on audio projects again, hope to have some photos for ya soon, next month or so maybe.
GREAT NEWS! if you are successful I would love to buy a noDAC from you. or maybe you can post a step by step tutorial so i can do it myself? maybe you can make a new thread and the first page of it should be like a work in progress tutorial thats being updated
Old 9th February 2019, 05:50 PM   #1888
eimis is offline eimis  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erez1012 View Post
nice movie from 2010 that demonstrate DSD or one bit DAC with FPGA.

YouTube
that clearly demonstrates the multi Mhz spikes you feed straight into your amps...
Old 9th February 2019, 08:31 PM   #1889
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Wondering if high quality, naked foil resistors, or exotic caps would make a difference in this noDac circuit? I mean we normally take great care with anything in the audio path. But is it necessary here? This is sort of a hybrid ana/digi, right?
I don't know what the latest circuit looks like, but assuming you are referring to a reconstruction filter: the reconstruction filter is completely analogue and handles the desired signal as well as a lot of high-frequency quantization noise. Having components with reasonable high-frequency performance (which implies reasonably small size and short or no leads) will be more important than in a "normal" audio circuit, everything else is just as critical or as uncritical as in a circuit that only handles the audio signal itself.

Last edited by MarcelvdG; 9th February 2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 4th March 2019, 10:17 AM   #1890
soko99 is offline soko99
diyAudio Member

whats your opinion about FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier it has an excellent quality of sound, Lightweight design to fit in your palm with the affordable price also there are some list also available here The Best DAC of 2018

The Best DAC is no DACHide this!Advertise here!