Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

The Best DAC is no DAC
The Best DAC is no DAC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2015, 11:10 AM   #101
supra is offline supra  Australia
diyAudio Member

Does your device play PCM converted to dsd by JRiver?
Old 12th May 2015, 11:56 AM   #102
hazard500 is offline hazard500  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpi31 View Post
Many thanks hazard500 for starting this thread - I've been following it with interest.

Different 74HC74 chips seem to have different max output current (5.2mA or 25mA) and bandwidth (24-94MHz). All other things being equal, would you expect a high current and high bandwidth 74HC74 to be best?
Don't make the same mistake as DF96 and assume that I know something about digital electronics. I just bought the generic chip that was available at local electronics store (Jaycar). They just have the cheapest part, brand is irrelevant to them. And listening right now to DSD files played through the USB/Flip flop combo its sounding good (10cc The Original SoundTrack). Crappy SMPS and all.

That said, if you get a chance to choose you brand, then intuitively it makes sense to go for highest bandwidth and output capability. But ask yourself - what is the load ogoing to be on the flip flop? If you have (say) 2 volt output into a 25k potentiometer than output current is 0.08mA. So I'm guessing that this is not such a big deal. But bandwidth is critical I think. Many of the USB to I2S boards have clocks that go to 49MHz. So I would think that you need at least that much capability in your flip flop. I would steer away from 24MHz jobs. But maybe someone with real experience can chime in.
Old 12th May 2015, 12:02 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra View Post
Does your device play PCM converted to dsd by JRiver?
I use PonoMusic Player, which is a cut down version of JRiver (no video for example). Playing through my on-board sound card (EMU1212M) it is better than FooBar IMHO. But I can't get it play through my DIYINHK USB board. I've sent a message to DIYINHK, they responded that JRiver is commercial software and they don't intend to buy a copy. I've told them that Pono Music World is free and asked them to take a look, but haven't heard back. So just using FooBar at the moment. It works perfectly well if you follow the instructions provided on DIYINHK web site.
Old 12th May 2015, 12:17 PM   #104
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
For normal DSD (nowadays called DSD64) the clock rate's 2.8MHz. The higher the max clock rate of the flip-flop is, the more noise it'll generate (ground bounce). I'd stick with the slowest possible one that will do 2.8MHz.

A humble CD4013 (4000 series CMOS is the slowest going of all) will certainly cope and can be run at 15V (18V for Intersil/Harris) - with a bigger step-down ratio trafo this will make your power supply less critical. If you've no wish for level translators to the higher rail, then I'd stick with HC. Higher speed CMOS really does need plenty of attention to PSU decoupling to keep the noise under control.
Old 12th May 2015, 10:12 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard500 View Post
I use PonoMusic Player, which is a cut down version of JRiver (no video for example). Playing through my on-board sound card (EMU1212M) it is better than FooBar IMHO. But I can't get it play through my DIYINHK USB board. I've sent a message to DIYINHK, they responded that JRiver is commercial software and they don't intend to buy a copy. I've told them that Pono Music World is free and asked them to take a look, but haven't heard back. So just using FooBar at the moment. It works perfectly well if you follow the instructions provided on DIYINHK web site.
Sorry I'm still not clear whether it will play ordinary PCM files converted to DSD, or will it only play DSD. I'm asking because I tried similar with jlsounds usboveri2s and cant get it to play converted files. Havent tried native DSD files, maybe only they work?
Apparently guys in Europe use the jlsounds and get it to work with HQPlayer. Must be a setting or something I've missed.
Old 12th May 2015, 11:28 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra View Post
Sorry I'm still not clear whether it will play ordinary PCM files converted to DSD, or will it only play DSD. I'm asking because I tried similar with jlsounds usboveri2s and cant get it to play converted files. Havent tried native DSD files, maybe only they work?
Apparently guys in Europe use the jlsounds and get it to work with HQPlayer. Must be a setting or something I've missed.
Sorry I cant answer your question directly. What I can say is this:
I can get Pono Music World to play PCM files and DSD files converted to PCM using my on board sound card.
I cant get Pono Music World to play anything (DSD or PCM) through the DIYINHK USB board. I am waiting for some help from DIYINHK support.

But FooBar will play DSD files (DoP) through the DIYINHK USB card. Try Foobar. The JLSounds card looks pretty nice on the web page, I know you cant play DSD at the moment but can you play PCM? What do you think of it?
Old 13th May 2015, 12:45 AM   #107
yilingcheng is offline yilingcheng  Canada
diyAudio Member

i have to ask this question...

is dsd similar to dab?

and if so there must be a way to get rid of the output transformer?

check the schema. at the end of that page:

Dave's Homemade Tube Digital Radio Mondiale Page

thanks for answering for my newb question.

Martin Gagnon
Old 13th May 2015, 01:02 AM   #108
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
No, DSD is not at all similar to DAB. DAB is a method for digital broadcasting whereas DSD is a method for recording audio.
Old 13th May 2015, 03:33 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard500 View Post
Sorry I cant answer your question directly. What I can say is this:
I can get Pono Music World to play PCM files and DSD files converted to PCM using my on board sound card.
I cant get Pono Music World to play anything (DSD or PCM) through the DIYINHK USB board. I am waiting for some help from DIYINHK support.

But FooBar will play DSD files (DoP) through the DIYINHK USB card. Try Foobar. The JLSounds card looks pretty nice on the web page, I know you cant play DSD at the moment but can you play PCM? What do you think of it?
I bought the JL usboveri2s with the matching AK4396 dac. I removed the opamps as I hate the sound of them, (although,I have heard some good implementations.) Without the opamps it sounds pretty good, and I suspect the usboveri2s plays a major part in it. I havent been able to get anything solely out of the usboveri2s
Old 13th May 2015, 03:36 AM   #110
yilingcheng is offline yilingcheng  Canada
diyAudio Member

ok, so no way to buffer and filter dsd signal through a tube instead of 1:1 transformer?

by the way this is one of the best thread i have been following on diyAudio

Martin Gagnon

The Best DAC is no DACHide this!Advertise here!