RPi B+ and ES9018K2M DAC: can't get it to work!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I have been fiddling around with this for quite a few evenings and weekends without much avail and I hope that you can help me. I am trying to get an ES9018K2M DAC to work with a Raspberry Pi B+ that runs Volumio.

I have bought the ES9018K2M DAC board from DIYINHK, together with the required 12v and 3.3v power supplies.

Problem: I get extremely distorted sound when trying to play back most files. Noise first appeared to be completely random, but after careful listening I now believe there is some relation between the noise pattern and the rhythm of the song being 'played'. When playing back a 24bit 96 kHz file and cranking up the volume of my amp, I can hear the song faintly playing, overlaid with noise and cracks.

Here's what I have tried already to get it to work:

1. I have tried using various versions of Volumio (1.4, 1.41, 1.5 and 1.55) and various firmware versions for the RPi. I have also tried Runeaudio (that runs on Archlinux) with the same results. This leads me to believe that it is not a software problem, although I am not 100% certain.

2. I followed the steps described here on the volumio.org forum, i.e. connected the I2S pins to the DAC; modified /etc/modules; /etc/asound.conf and /etc/mpd.conf as described.

3. On paper, everything seems fine and all the settings are as should be. I shortened the I2S jumper wires to 2-3cms, but that did not have any effect.

4. To rule out a bad soldering connection, I checked all the soldering points on the DAC board and they look as they should.

5. The voltage outputs of the PSUs for the DAC are as specified.

6. I rechecked (and rechecked again) that I connected the correct pins of the RPi to the DAC.

7. I made a thread about this on the volumio.org forum more than a month ago but so far haven't received any replies.

At this point I really do not know what else I can try to get it working or other diagnostic tests I can run to determine the problem. Does anyone here perhaps have any pointers or tips?

Many thanks for your help and expertise!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.