Linux servers and Soekris DAM1021

Another member here suggested,

"The settings outlined in here
https://volumio.org/forum/es9018k2m-based-streaming-solution-t2087.html
with an ESS K2M and Volumio 1.51 and it worked with the Soekris - I simply connected the i2s to pins 12, 35, 39 & 40".

It did not work for me on the rpi 2 but it may work on the earlier models.
It also seems that Volumio, Rune, and Archphile will not play 16 bit over i2s. I changed bit depth to 24 on a few tracks with sox and they worked after. Unfortunately they sounded worse for the extra processing.

I loaded piCorePlayer to Rpi 2, set up i2s, and connected to Logitech Media Center online and it worked like a charm. Easy instructions here, including i2s setup:
https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/how-to-1

Also another member has endorsed Voyage MPD:
Voyage MPD | Voyage Linux
It requires a linux computer to set up. I will be excited to try it!

Last edited:
I did not manage to connect to the dam1021 with UART from the GPIO with raspberry pi2. I think it is because that the rs232 in the DAM needs 5v. The rs232 from Raspberry is 3.3v.
Søren said that next firmware would fix this.

But an usb-serial adapter in the RPI worked fine with the DAM.
Using minicom as "emulator".
"pacman -S minicom" - if you got an arch distro.
Here is a good description
Serial on Raspberry Pi Arch Linux | Dan's Website

I followed the instructions in the post by Tony on this page using the latest Volumio image, but got the error message below in mpd.conf:

https://volumio.org/forum/es9018k2m-...ion-t2087.html

ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1667_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
Mar 20 19:16 : alsa_output: Failed to open "Output" [alsa]: Failed to open ALSA device "hw:0,0": No such file or directory
Mar 20 19:16 : output: Failed to open audio output
Mar 20 19:16 : player: problems opening audio device while playing "USB/01-Hotel California.flac"

Rpi -> USB -> Gustard u12 (xmos based) -> i2s (lvds hdmi signal) -> dam1021 (lvds receiver hdmi_interface)

I am using archphile and runeaudio (like them better than volumio)
That works very nice indeed :)
Havent tried the internal i2s out from rpi yet.

rpi i2s direct from GPIO. Does it handle every samplerate? I have read that it has some limitiations caused by the internal clock?

I like a few things about Runeaudio too, but they have fallen behind on their releases a bit and Volumio runs on Raspbian which would have been easier with some of my add ons, so I chose Volumio first. I'll be trying Runeaudio next.

A friend of mine has got RPi GPIO I2S out with Volumio, with no isolator or reclocker, playing very well, albeit it being with a different dac. SQ far exceeded my expectations. I didn't hear him complain about unsupported bitrates, but I'll ask.

Last edited:
rpi i2s direct from GPIO. Does it handle every samplerate? I have read that it has some limitiations caused by the internal clock?

Not sure. But piCorePlayer is limited to 192/24 while SqueezeLite, the player used claims 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192k/352.8/384kHz. Might indicate hw limitation on RPi?
SqueezeLite: https://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/

:checked: Luckily I'm not into hi-rez

Squeezelite supports all these sampling rates if the output device supports them. I too believe that the I2S output of the RPi only goes up to 192K but I can't say for sure since I can't remember trying very high sampling rates (with a direct I2S connection).

Btw, Squeezelite also supports DSD output (when working with a very new (nightly) build of the LMS server), which is a very nice feature..

Warning! - Windows content

I know many of us like to experiment on OS we are more familiar with trying to learn the principles before diving into the unknown.
As Windows user I struggled making a working shortcut for the headless SqueezeLite. Until I realized that on Win7 the startup arguments in shortcuts differ to batch files as one need to separate multiple arguments with comma.

This might give you a head start to the headless player. Like me you might move on to Linux after experiencing how well SqueezeLite performs.
"C:\Programmer\squeezelite-win\squeezelite-win.exe" -o 3, -n MySqueezeLite, -s 192.168.1.200

Last edited:
As Windows user I struggled making a working shortcut for the headless SqueezeLite.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Just curious, how are you guys with picoplayer and squeezelite controlling the player when headless? Volumino and Rune have smartphone UIs that would mean you could have a server/DAC combo and not need to turn on a computer to control it. Of course, I want it all. Smartphone interface, headless server, and 24 bit, high sample rate playback :), preferably direct I2S.

Also, any thoughts on different board computer choices? Someone on another forum commented that the RPi was busy on the USB side with music data (for a USB DAC), data from the HDD (if USB hard drive), and wireless dongle for communicating with the UI. Perhaps, that was a cause of glitches some folks find. That got me thinking that a more expensive board, maybe with a SATA connection and built in wireless would be worth the trip. Of course, you guys are pointing out the problems with new platforms and software.

Thanks.

PS Robert - Thanks for starting this thread. It's a great idea.

lehmanhill, I'm deep into LMS (Logitech Media Server) with several Touch devices. SqueezeLite connects to this service as any of Logitech’s devices.

Remote control are available from several apps on Androids & iPad. For some reason I seem to come back to the official Logitech release on Android.

LMS is controlled from web interface on port 9000

LMS have had many years to mature. As have I with it.