Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

"Value" DAC Options
"Value" DAC Options
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2015, 11:20 PM   #1
cogitech is offline cogitech  Canada
diyAudio Member

"Value" DAC Options
Default "Value" DAC Options

For my main system I am happy with my DAC (for now) but I have some other systems planned for other parts of the house and I am in the market for some "cheap and cheerful" DACs.

Something better than your average laptop/PC DAC, but under $30. Not possible? Suggest something anyway, please.
Old 4th March 2015, 06:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

"Value" DAC Options
Where's the "crickets" emoticon?
Old 4th March 2015, 06:58 AM   #3
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

For under $30 it won't be better than the onboard stuff
Old 4th March 2015, 07:33 AM   #4
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
I had a quick look on Taobao at the under $30 price range stuff and found a Muse which might just squeak in under the wire. But you didn't say what inputs/outputs you favoured so a few more details might help dispel the crickets.
Old 4th March 2015, 04:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

"Value" DAC Options
Cheers for replying, guys.

Perhaps my budget isn't realistic. I just assumed that all the advancements and development in this area would render the "old stuff" really cheap. Like CS4398, WM8740, etc.

As far as inputs go, I'm not really sure yet for one of the systems. Certainly optical SPDIF input would suffice for one of them.

I am semi-tempted to buy or build a higher-end DAC for my main system and then re-purpose my current DAC in one of the secondary systems. I am "happy" with my current DAC, however its limitations are revealed when I switch from that input to my turntable. The curtain is lifted, as they say.

This one http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CS4398-DAC-wi...item1c367e7c93 is close to my budget and offers flexibility. Thoughts?

EDIT: Forget that one - the power supply requirements are a PITA. Ideally the DACs will be powered from a simple +/gnd DC supply.

Last edited by cogitech; 4th March 2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 4th March 2015, 04:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

"Value" DAC Options
I'm open to suggestions, everyone. If you think buying cheap DACs is a waste of money, then tell me what you would buy/build within the following parameters:

- Good (not "ultimate") sound quality
- Simple power supply requirements
- Small footprint
- USB + optical SPDIF (I'm flexible on this)
Old 4th March 2015, 04:19 PM   #7
counter culture is offline counter culture  United States
diyAudio Member

All my systems have a TV at their centre.

It does the source switching, provides a menu for music access and tone controls. It also provides the DAC, although I could use an external DAC, because all the TVs have digital out, but I usually use the headphone out, because the tone and volume controls work. You just adjust the amplifier gain so there's no noise (hiss) normally audible.

The music is all on a NAS. If I want to put music thru a system, I connect my tablet or phone to the TV with a wandering HDMI and stream it over Wi-Fi. Otherwise I can watch Satellite, Digital Terrestrial, bluray, CDs, USB sticks, all controlled by the standard remotes.

One other advantage is that using 3G I can stream MP3s from the NAS to my car radio using Bluetooth.
Old 4th March 2015, 04:24 PM   #8
ostripper is offline ostripper  United States
diyAudio Member

CS4398 DAC Decoder Module w USB Optical Fiber Input 24 192K DIY Board Kit Only | eBay

Actually very good - just replace all the caps , large semi's with mouser stuff.
... put a better op-amp in it - (instead of the ne5532).
<70$ = cs4398 + display and a full multi input with remote.

OS
Old 4th March 2015, 04:29 PM   #9
PJN is offline PJN  United States
diyAudio Member

You missed the boat on the Subbu DAC it is a great inexpensive DAC. The Curryman DAC is similar and is still available as an assembled PSB, for ~ $40 or so, but you would still need to provide a case, two PSU's (5v & 18v) and a front end, and misc bits. For USB a ministreamer is a good option at ~ $40. You might be able to put one together for ~ $200. I tried the cheap Chinese DAC thing and was disappointed. You might want to look at some used equipment, for under $200 you should be able to find something decent. Of course you could just treat yourself and build a nice DAC to replace the one in your system.

PJN
Old 4th March 2015, 05:06 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

&quot;Value&quot; DAC Options
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter culture View Post
All my systems have a TV at their centre.

It does the source switching, provides a menu for music access and tone controls. It also provides the DAC, although I could use an external DAC, because all the TVs have digital out, but I usually use the headphone out, because the tone and volume controls work. You just adjust the amplifier gain so there's no noise (hiss) normally audible.

The music is all on a NAS. If I want to put music thru a system, I connect my tablet or phone to the TV with a wandering HDMI and stream it over Wi-Fi. Otherwise I can watch Satellite, Digital Terrestrial, bluray, CDs, USB sticks, all controlled by the standard remotes.

One other advantage is that using 3G I can stream MP3s from the NAS to my car radio using Bluetooth.
I'll have TVs in my systems as well but I definitely do not want to use their internal DACs and analog outputs. I'll either be pulling digital audio from the TV SPDIF out or (more likely) from an Android TV stick via USB.

&quot;Value&quot; DAC OptionsHide this!Advertise here!