"Value" DAC Options

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
For my main system I am happy with my DAC (for now) but I have some other systems planned for other parts of the house and I am in the market for some "cheap and cheerful" DACs.

Something better than your average laptop/PC DAC, but under $30. Not possible? Suggest something anyway, please. :)

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Cheers for replying, guys.

Perhaps my budget isn't realistic. I just assumed that all the advancements and development in this area would render the "old stuff" really cheap. Like CS4398, WM8740, etc.

As far as inputs go, I'm not really sure yet for one of the systems. Certainly optical SPDIF input would suffice for one of them.

I am semi-tempted to buy or build a higher-end DAC for my main system and then re-purpose my current DAC in one of the secondary systems. I am "happy" with my current DAC, however its limitations are revealed when I switch from that input to my turntable. The curtain is lifted, as they say.

This one http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CS4398-DAC-w...379?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c367e7c93 is close to my budget and offers flexibility. Thoughts?

EDIT: Forget that one - the power supply requirements are a PITA. Ideally the DACs will be powered from a simple +/gnd DC supply.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I'm open to suggestions, everyone. If you think buying cheap DACs is a waste of money, then tell me what you would buy/build within the following parameters:

- Good (not "ultimate") sound quality
- Simple power supply requirements
- Small footprint
- USB + optical SPDIF (I'm flexible on this)

All my systems have a TV at their centre.

It does the source switching, provides a menu for music access and tone controls. It also provides the DAC, although I could use an external DAC, because all the TVs have digital out, but I usually use the headphone out, because the tone and volume controls work. You just adjust the amplifier gain so there's no noise (hiss) normally audible.

The music is all on a NAS. If I want to put music thru a system, I connect my tablet or phone to the TV with a wandering HDMI and stream it over Wi-Fi. Otherwise I can watch Satellite, Digital Terrestrial, bluray, CDs, USB sticks, all controlled by the standard remotes.

One other advantage is that using 3G I can stream MP3s from the NAS to my car radio using Bluetooth.

You missed the boat on the Subbu DAC it is a great inexpensive DAC. The Curryman DAC is similar and is still available as an assembled PSB, for ~ $40 or so, but you would still need to provide a case, two PSU's (5v & 18v) and a front end, and misc bits. For USB a ministreamer is a good option at ~ $40. You might be able to put one together for ~ $200. I tried the cheap Chinese DAC thing and was disappointed. You might want to look at some used equipment, for under $200 you should be able to find something decent. Of course you could just treat yourself and build a nice DAC to replace the one in your system.

PJN

Joined 2011
Paid Member
All my systems have a TV at their centre.

It does the source switching, provides a menu for music access and tone controls. It also provides the DAC, although I could use an external DAC, because all the TVs have digital out, but I usually use the headphone out, because the tone and volume controls work. You just adjust the amplifier gain so there's no noise (hiss) normally audible.

The music is all on a NAS. If I want to put music thru a system, I connect my tablet or phone to the TV with a wandering HDMI and stream it over Wi-Fi. Otherwise I can watch Satellite, Digital Terrestrial, bluray, CDs, USB sticks, all controlled by the standard remotes.

One other advantage is that using 3G I can stream MP3s from the NAS to my car radio using Bluetooth.

I'll have TVs in my systems as well but I definitely do not want to use their internal DACs and analog outputs. I'll either be pulling digital audio from the TV SPDIF out or (more likely) from an Android TV stick via USB.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
CS4398 DAC Decoder Module w USB Optical Fiber Input 24 192K DIY Board Kit Only | eBay

Actually very good - just replace all the caps , large semi's with mouser stuff.
... put a better op-amp in it - (instead of the ne5532).
<70$ = cs4398 + display and a full multi input with remote.

OS

Interesting.

So I am better off buying this, CS4398 CM102 CS8416IC DAC KIT 192K 24bit SPI I2S Amplifier Board | eBay and then putting good parts on it.

(it appears there is an option to use a single P/S for this)

Last edited:
Interesting.

So I am better off buying this, CS4398 CM102 CS8416IC DAC KIT 192K 24bit SPI I2S Amplifier Board | eBay and then putting good parts on it.

(it appears there is an option to use a single P/S for this)

I've built both of those eBay DAC's and while they seem cheap on the surface you will end up replacing most of the parts to get the most out of it which defeats the purpose of buying a cheap kit.

Currently building a Subbu DAC, but again the parts from Mouser started to add up quick.

Another option is the Beezar kits, i've built the PupDAC ~$120, and the Skeleton DAC ~$30 and both perform great for their price point.

DACs, Beezar Audio

I also own an ODAC which everybody raves about, but personally my eBay sourced DAC kit and PupDAC sound better, and measure better too.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I've built both of those eBay DAC's and while they seem cheap on the surface you will end up replacing most of the parts to get the most out of it which defeats the purpose of buying a cheap kit.

Currently building a Subbu DAC, but again the parts from Mouser started to add up quick.

Another option is the Beezar kits, i've built the PupDAC ~$120, and the Skeleton DAC ~$30 and both perform great for their price point.

DACs, Beezar Audio

I also own an ODAC which everybody raves about, but personally my eBay sourced DAC kit and PupDAC sound better, and measure better too.

Some nice options there. Thank you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.