Output stage for the Soekris R2R

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a doubt that what is the point in using a Buffer when the output is about 1.4VRMS and the volume control can be directly controlled digitally prior to the conversion? Is that the impedance of 625ohm is not sufficient to drive the amplifiers directly? Coz the B1 buffer has also got the same impedance between 200 to 1k so whats the point in using B1 ?

B1 input impedance seems to be ~200Kohm and output impedance ~220ohm.

See : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...-gb-dc-coupled-b1-buffer-shunt-psus-salb1.gif

I found very interesting tube buffer:
515925d1448202276-hq-iv-tube-banlance-dac-hq-iv-dac-balance.jpg

Is it possible to use it instead of original buffer ?

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
A capacitor, thus also this one, has 2 duties: above the passband it shall impose an increasing "short" in order to provide a filter function. In the passband it shall be invisible to the signal i.e. should ideally be a perfect resistive infinite resistance - is it?

It's life in the passband is the one of abuse - here, electrical energy constantly trying to reach earth trough it, wildly varying in both frequency and level. An often very foul ground. But it must stand there unaffected and ideal in order not to affect the signal.

I think it is a faulty model to think that a capacitor can be "way out of the audio band" - it for sure work with the whole spectra. Its just that it has to do two different jobs depending on the content of the signal and its a gradual effect where it start to effect the passband well before our usual -3dB reference point for f0.

So here, in order to be sonically transparent it have to do the stunt of doing absolutely nothing - this is not neccesarily easy.

Capacitors are, in general, The evil.

//

Anyone actually do a valve output stage? Anyone know of any build logs of a dual mono build? I have two boards, a bunch of power supplies built, I just need to figure out an output stage, and get trannies.
Has anyone seen a differential output?
There doesn't seem to be a lot new info outside the few threads in here, and still not a lot outside of troubleshooting questions

I use the raw output from both boards, however as the BPBP has two inputs I sometimes configure the boards as 'normal' instead of balanced and use the op-amp XLR dam output to compare two dams; i.e different filters or vref cap mod. (easy with DAM1021 rev3) or different versions flac/dsd of one song. I like that flexibility.

For the moment I only use my 600 ohm headphones direct on the BPBP output, I am building a balanced amp this fall.

Unfortunately I don't see any specs regarding gain in his writeup. I see there's a buffer stage, then the diff amp stage with variable gain, do you happen to know the gain spec? Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate the answers.
I'd like to have both SE and balanced outs. But being indecisive, and not too knowledgable is hindering my process.

The gain is from unity to infinite, that's is the fallback of the BPBP design, i.e. if you break the pot connections the gain raises to max, and may blow your speakers.
I use a ladder BPBP add-on by Hans Polak which limits the gain to 1 or 2 or whatever you like by selecting a resistor value. The bare small I2C SMD PCB is supplied by TviCol, who does the Maya preamps. See group-buy and digital line forums. Hans also designed a input selector switch PCB as another BPBP add-on. I use ladder/switch PCB's and not the Maya controleer, I write my own Arduino code.
I don't mix SE and balanced in one case, I have a separate SE DAC.

Hi,

I just finished my Soerkis Dac and SDTrans384. I just got it wired just to test, however, I tested all voltages and it seems ok, the Dac locks on to the signal, but there is absolutely no sound, I could not figure it out, can someone help me please? I got the power, the I2s signal from my SDTrans, got the volume all the way up, hooked up the raw signal to my amp, and nothing??...HELP!!

Alex

Hi,

I just finished my Soerkis Dac and SDTrans384. I just got it wired just to test, however, I tested all voltages and it seems ok, the Dac locks on to the signal, but there is absolutely no sound, I could not figure it out, can someone help me please? I got the power, the I2s signal from my SDTrans, got the volume all the way up, hooked up the raw signal to my amp, and nothing??...HELP!!

Alex

This is probably the wrong thread, because it has nothing to do with an output stage. Can you test the SDtrans and the soekris independently? With another I2S DAC and another I2S source?

Any advantage to using this buffer for an output stage for the Soekris?

See schematic in first post.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/301812-b1-rev-2-a.html

I have tried Salas DCB1, but it did not bring any improvement in my case. I do however have Vrefs powered with external regs, maybe that is why.

Based on my experience the best output stage for Soekris is no output stage at all since it does not required one. The best combo I got so far is connecting raw outputs (skipping onboard opamps) directly to Modulus 86 amplifier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.