Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Output stage for the Soekris R2R
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2016, 11:18 AM   #91
asanden is offline asanden  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I use the raw output from both boards, however as the BPBP has two inputs I sometimes configure the boards as 'normal' instead of balanced and use the op-amp XLR dam output to compare two dams; i.e different filters or vref cap mod. (easy with DAM1021 rev3) or different versions flac/dsd of one song. I like that flexibility.

For the moment I only use my 600 ohm headphones direct on the BPBP output, I am building a balanced amp this fall.
Old 13th September 2016, 08:27 PM   #92
Delete is offline Delete  United States
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately I don't see any specs regarding gain in his writeup. I see there's a buffer stage, then the diff amp stage with variable gain, do you happen to know the gain spec? Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate the answers.
I'd like to have both SE and balanced outs. But being indecisive, and not too knowledgable is hindering my process.
Old 13th September 2016, 09:33 PM   #93
asanden is offline asanden  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The gain is from unity to infinite, that's is the fallback of the BPBP design, i.e. if you break the pot connections the gain raises to max, and may blow your speakers.
I use a ladder BPBP add-on by Hans Polak which limits the gain to 1 or 2 or whatever you like by selecting a resistor value. The bare small I2C SMD PCB is supplied by TviCol, who does the Maya preamps. See group-buy and digital line forums. Hans also designed a input selector switch PCB as another BPBP add-on. I use ladder/switch PCB's and not the Maya controleer, I write my own Arduino code.
I don't mix SE and balanced in one case, I have a separate SE DAC.
Old 15th September 2016, 03:02 AM   #94
Delete is offline Delete  United States
diyAudio Member

I will look into them,thanks! Considering the amount of research I still have left for this stage, I'm going to use the buffered outs until I make up my mind. I'm doing more reading and less building.
Old 2nd December 2016, 09:22 PM   #95
adeveza is offline adeveza  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I just finished my Soerkis Dac and SDTrans384. I just got it wired just to test, however, I tested all voltages and it seems ok, the Dac locks on to the signal, but there is absolutely no sound, I could not figure it out, can someone help me please? I got the power, the I2s signal from my SDTrans, got the volume all the way up, hooked up the raw signal to my amp, and nothing??...HELP!!

Alex
Old 3rd December 2016, 05:54 AM   #96
kumori is offline kumori  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeveza View Post
Hi,

I just finished my Soerkis Dac and SDTrans384. I just got it wired just to test, however, I tested all voltages and it seems ok, the Dac locks on to the signal, but there is absolutely no sound, I could not figure it out, can someone help me please? I got the power, the I2s signal from my SDTrans, got the volume all the way up, hooked up the raw signal to my amp, and nothing??...HELP!!

Alex
This is probably the wrong thread, because it has nothing to do with an output stage. Can you test the SDtrans and the soekris independently? With another I2S DAC and another I2S source?
Old 4th December 2016, 03:36 PM   #97
adeveza is offline adeveza  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumori View Post
This is probably the wrong thread, because it has nothing to do with an output stage. Can you test the SDtrans and the soekris independently? With another I2S DAC and another I2S source?
Thanks for the reply. I was able to figure it out, I just panicked, but thanks anyway.
Old 6th January 2017, 08:47 PM   #98
vdi_nenna is online now vdi_nenna  United States
diyAudio Member

Any advantage to using this buffer for an output stage for the Soekris?

See schematic in first post.
B1 Rev. 2
Old 8th January 2017, 01:27 AM   #99
TioFrancotirador is online now TioFrancotirador  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi_nenna View Post
Any advantage to using this buffer for an output stage for the Soekris?

See schematic in first post.
B1 Rev. 2
I have tried Salas DCB1, but it did not bring any improvement in my case. I do however have Vrefs powered with external regs, maybe that is why.

Based on my experience the best output stage for Soekris is no output stage at all since it does not required one. The best combo I got so far is connecting raw outputs (skipping onboard opamps) directly to Modulus 86 amplifier.
Old 8th January 2017, 03:19 AM   #100
vdi_nenna is online now vdi_nenna  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Tio.

Output stage for the Soekris R2RHide this!Advertise here!