Filter brewing for the Soekris R2R

I tried to use the Raspberry Pi to the DAM 1121 to upload the filters using minicom as described by tonno in the DAM 1941 thread however, I do not seem to see any success in it. I definitely connected the serial lines and I2S and disabled the shell and enabled serial.

RPI DAM1121
6 GND --------- GND (one of them on J2)
8 TXD --------- COM_RXD 10 (J2)
10 RXD --------- COM_TXD 12 (J2)
12 BCK --------- I2S_2_BCLK 6 (J3)
35 LRCK --------- I2S_2_LRCLK 4 (J3)
40 DOUT --------- I2S_2_DAT 2 (J3)

As a test, I tried to switch inputs, i.e. I4 or I5. Any other checks that i can do?

Thanks in advance!

Just leaving these reminders for any future searches regarding Filter brewing as it can be extraordinarily confusing to to figure out the process:

1. There's lot of mentions about upgrading firmware, but I only found 1 post instructing that uManager also needs to be updated! Maybe it's instructed somewhere obvious but I didn't see it. I couldn't get my DAM to play after the firmware 1.21 and thankfully found a post mentioning that uManager needs to be updated as well after the FW by just typing (#)'update' in uManager and hitting enter.

2. If anyone wants to see the *current* filters selected for the DAM, type (#)'filters' in uManager.

And a reminder regarding Play Mode to demo filters courtesy of Vdi_nenna:

when you are in umanager by hitting +++, you are not in play mode . By simply connecting to the soekris terminal, your computer is communicating with the dac. Play mode works from just connecting to the dac with a terminal, such as extraputty...

Connecting to the terminal (and not umanager) you can type F4 for linear, F5 for mixed, F6 for minimum or F7 for soft. Not function keys, but actual letters and numbers. Use caps lower case didn't work for me. Play mode is not saved if the dac is power cycled.

3. Type '?' for Help in uManager. You will see the list of commands to find the entire/all of filter list, lower/reduce/turn down volume etc.

After comparing different filters I've settled on TNT's 44 for now. I could live with any of the filters but the TNT so far does have a 'live, in the room' quality to it. A little more dynamic range, maybe? Or a very slight loudness effect? I dunno but guitars do crunch real good with it and operatic vocals have real presence without being harsh. This is via PC/USB/I2S/1021/headamp/HD6XX headphones

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
After comparing different filters I've settled on TNT's 44 for now. I could live with any of the filters but the TNT so far does have a 'live, in the room' quality to it. A little more dynamic range, maybe? Or a very slight loudness effect? I dunno but guitars do crunch real good with it and operatic vocals have real presence without being harsh. This is via PC/USB/I2S/1021/headamp/HD6XX headphones

Glad you like it! One more win for science over woodo as there is nothing but adherence to the sampling theorem in this filter. No "fourier denial" what so ever ;)

//

Hi wushuliu, I also like the TNT filter pack very much (tnx TNT!). Which of the 4 filters is the '44'??