Filter brewing for the Soekris R2R

If you like newNOS, then do try @gumisb's NOS filter packs. In my opinion @gumisb F5 > C128dp > newNOS. In fact newNOS has some audible artefacts on my system.
Edit: note that @gumisb's latest pack isn't NOS so be sure to get an earlier one.
@gumisb

Could you please point me in the right direction of which NOS filter Pack Roderickvd advices me here?

Thanks!

Rev.7 is latest board release which is different in HW and firmware (1.24) that upsample 32 times instead 64 times for previous releases. That's why it uses different filters, but there is tool to allow create common filters for all versions. You for sure have pre rev5. Latest firmware 1.23 or 1.21.

NOS is possible on Soekris DACs by putting only one FIR coefficient of 1 on first and second stage, but it is impractical for two reasons. First overall gain will be less by 36dB. Second there will be no filtering at all becouse analog filter starts around 160kHz. Engine will run for CD quality with 64x44.1kHz so 2.8MHz but will have valid signal to 44100Hz only without any filter(digital or analog) over 22050Hz.

hi everybody;
i finally got my soekris dac working (based on audiozen board) and i want to start playing with filters:
can i safely use newest firmware 1.23 (my board is rev 4) and use e.g. tnt filters from post #1803?
are these the newest ones (looking for nos filters, which a lot of my buddies say sound best :)
or do you have any other recommendations for me? a total filter newbie is asking ;)
thanks, kind regards!

thanks tnt,
one question, as i am using the audiozwn board and can switch between filters via encoder:
if you recommend F4, then i should switch to "linear" as it uses your f4 settings. the standard filters wont apply anymore, only the ones corresponding with Fx Filter Type, 4 = linear, 5 = mixed, 6 = minimum, 7 = soft in your script, right?
that would mean: 04=linear (your tnt-made-filter), 05=eqhq, 06=c128, 07=nos
kind regards!

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes. I dont know what you mean by "standard" filters? The concept is that the DAC can hold 4 different filters (banks). They are called F4-F7. The file I haver posted has changed the content in the file for the F4 filter bank (why bank? because there are several filters versions of F4 for different sampling speed). The designer decided to use aliases for the banks F4-F7 i.e. Linear, mixed etc. Quite unfortunate and confusing for many it seems. UX is hard.

Good luck.

//

hi everybody;
and thanks tnt, i was successful. could update firmeware to 1.23 and update umanager as well (forget to do #update after firmware download, but could do it a second time...)
not quite clear for me is the behavior of dam and the custom filters: after filter installation, i exited and restarted twice. every time another filter was on first position. (though "filters all" showed all the custom filters) - see jpg attached. (i assume, 07/11/29/30 would be the 4 filter i could switch)
then i tried to enter umanager and do the "set filter = linear" command, and then it switched to your filter at first position (tnt) of the four filters and stayed there, even after rebooting.
what happens now, if i try to switch filter via rotary encoder of the audiozen board? or will now the linear (i.e. tnt) filter the one used?
thanks again, happy to make comparisons now!
kind regards!

Attachments

• IMG_2131.JPG
    IMG_2131.JPG
    653.9 KB · Views: 86

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Set filter in uManager set it permanent and survives power cycle. Doing just "F5" (etc) when not in uManager changes the filter bank but dont save persistent.

I dont know about your adiozen board but when you play something and in uManager you can do only "set" and you will see the current config. (I think :) )

And doning "filters" in uManager prints the currently used filters - yes!

In your printout you see all the four different filters that make up the total filtering for F4 / Linear. Its FIR 1, FIR2, DC filter. Deemp is only active if you play a CD with deemphasis - forget this...

//

In your printout you see all the four different filters that make up the total filtering for F4 / Linear. Its FIR 1, FIR2, DC filter. Deemp is only active if you play a CD with deemphasis - forget this...
ah thanks, that one i did not know. i thought these were the 4 filters i can switch between.
makes sense now!
so possibly i can switch (with rotary encoder) now between all four loaded filters, because when i transfer custom filters, the soekris stock filters are "overwritten" right?
so with your custom filters it is:
04= tnt-filter, 05=eqhq, 06=c128, 07=nos id est shown in the display: 4 = linear, 5 = mixed, 6 = minimum, 7 = soft
kind regards, horst

thanks tnt again!
just as an info: if i switch filters via rotary encoder of audiozen board, they change. i will check, which filter is active after reboot, the last one selected or the one programmed via "set filter" command in umanager.
and i have to say, i really like every filter in this pack, yours tnt (f4) seems the smoothest, really analogue sounding (in a good way) very balanced, and i also really like the "nos" filter (f7).
but everyboday really has to try custom filters, you dont know how good a 1021dac can sound without them!
thanks everybody for their work!