Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Filter brewing for the Soekris R2R
Filter brewing for the Soekris R2R
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2015, 02:05 AM   #1221
aive is offline aive  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hey Spzzzzkt, not sure if this is useful or interesting to you but just in case...

Attached is an initial Matlab script that performs and compares (in the time-domain) upsampling of an "Audio.wav" file via FFT zero insertion and FIR interpolation. Presently only channel 1 is calculated.

At the moment, the comparison is only a presentation of waveforms of 'n' samples at the start, end, and middle. Could modify it to calculate a difference between samples to determine 'error' value or %... Presuming 14 bit ENOB, you'd expect any PCM value difference of >= 0.000122 to be audible right?

Presuming comparison may be useful to assess FIR filter performance since FFT zero insertion upsampling is meant to be an 'exact' method (in the middle anyways, not at the start or end of vectors).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Matlab Scripts.zip (1.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 19th June 2015, 06:59 AM   #1222
spzzzzkt is offline spzzzzkt  Australia
diyAudio Member

thanks aive... I'll have a look at them.

I still think the zero insertion is more to do with the way the incoming data passes between clock domains, than specific processing. I'll try to do a diagram of what I mean...

Just been having a listen to a few filters, the TrueNOS, NewNOS, EQHQv2r1 and a few other things I've been messing around with like Nyquist filters done with an Ultra-spherical window.

I don't usually bother with the NOS filters, beyond a quick half a track listen every now and then. Anyway I think there is very little to pick between the "True"NOS and NewNOS in sound quality - they sound pretty well identical to my ears.

What I did notice that I hadn't really picked up on previously - possibly due the test tracks I had on when I was comparing - was that the NOS frequency roll-off manifests as a artifical sense of added depth to the soundstage. Female vocals very obviously move back in the sound stage relative to bass and drums which I guess is to be expected. I'd bet that if you built a brick wall filter that incorporated a sinc roll-off through the audio band you'd get the same kind of "improved" depth of sound stage. But ultimately it's faux-depth.
Old 19th June 2015, 07:46 AM   #1223
diyAudio Member

I hope this will illustrate what I think is happening with the TrueNOS (and upsampling in general) a bit more clearly...

Filter brewing for the Soekris R2R-clocks-png

You have incoming data received by the DAM, and processed at the native sampling rate. 44.1, 88.2, 176.4, 352.8 and so on. The last received piece of data will sit in a buffer until the buffer has new data loaded at the next clock cycle at the incoming clock rate.

The next stage of processing is always running at the x8 rates - 352.8 or 384kHz. Based on what's happening with the TrueNOS filter, I'm fairly certain that the buffer from the input stage is read on every clock cycle which means with a 44.1kHz input data rate the buffered data will be read 8 times before it is updated.

The zero insert coefficient is basically setting how many zeros are inserted after the initial sample is read. If it's set for "1" there is no replacement/insertion done, so the second stage will end up with 8 copies of the original sample, assuming a 44.1/48 clock rate.

So for 44.1/48 you end up with:
x1 - 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
x2 - 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0
x4 - 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0
x8 - 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

So by setting zero insert coefficient to 1 the second stage of the DAC reads the input buffer every clock cycle, and there is no need to convolve with an 8 x 1.000 value "filter" to reconstruct the original samples because the samples data is already there...
Attached Images
File Type: png Clocks.png (21.3 KB, 1223 views)

Last edited by spzzzzkt; 19th June 2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 19th June 2015, 11:03 AM   #1224
soundcheck is offline soundcheck  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spzzzzkt View Post
...was that the NOS frequency roll-off manifests as a artifical sense of added depth to the soundstage. Female vocals very obviously move back in the sound stage relative to bass and drums which I guess is to be expected. I'd bet that if you built a brick wall filter that incorporated a sinc roll-off through the audio band you'd get the same kind of "improved" depth of sound stage. But ultimately it's faux-depth.
IMO you loose yourself into wild speculations and guesses. Finally you "ultimately" set this questionable stuff into stone. Scientific?? No. That's audiophile hocus pocus.

Pretty much everything on a mix/recording is artificially made up by an engineer. All filter cause this or that loss. Further every audio system adds its own signature.
The main issue is to figure out what is right or what is wrong. What is 100%? What is the ultimate target?

You'll have a hard time to get all this nailed or explained.

I'd stay with showing fllter responses and let the crowd decide what "tastes" best.

PS:
I do think you do a great job on the filter brewing part.
Old 19th June 2015, 11:13 AM   #1225
aive is offline aive  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I hope this will illustrate what I think is happening with the TrueNOS (and upsampling in general) a bit more clearly...

Filter brewing for the Soekris R2R-clocks-png

You have incoming data received by the DAM, and processed at the native sampling rate. 44.1, 88.2, 176.4, 352.8 and so on. The last received piece of data will sit in a buffer until the buffer has new data loaded at the next clock cycle at the incoming clock rate.

The next stage of processing is always running at the x8 rates - 352.8 or 384kHz. Based on what's happening with the TrueNOS filter, I'm fairly certain that the buffer from the input stage is read on every clock cycle which means with a 44.1kHz input data rate the buffered data will be read 8 times before it is updated.

The zero insert coefficient is basically setting how many zeros are inserted after the initial sample is read. If it's set for "1" there is no replacement/insertion done, so the second stage will end up with 8 copies of the original sample, assuming a 44.1/48 clock rate.

So for 44.1/48 you end up with:
x1 - 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
x2 - 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0
x4 - 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0
x8 - 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

So by setting zero insert coefficient to 1 the second stage of the DAC reads the input buffer every clock cycle, and there is no need to convolve with an 8 x 1.000 value "filter" to reconstruct the original samples because the samples data is already there...
Does dithering play a role in the convolution upsampling?
Old 19th June 2015, 11:58 AM   #1226
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
I do think you do a great job on the filter brewing part.
There's the rub. The speculation and attempts to work out what is influencing the sound are part and parcel of building the filters. If you have one filter that is -1dB at 10kHz and another that is 0dB at 10kHz and there is an audible difference in behaviour under reasonably well controlled conditions it would be audiophile hocus pocus to ignore it...
Old 19th June 2015, 12:03 PM   #1227
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aive View Post
Does dithering play a role in the convolution upsampling?
I believe not.
Old 19th June 2015, 12:33 PM   #1228
Priidik is offline Priidik  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
thanks aive... I'll have a look at them.
Just been having a listen to a few filters, the TrueNOS, NewNOS, EQHQv2r1 and a few other things I've been messing around with like Nyquist filters done with an Ultra-spherical window.
Did the same thing just now. First time hearing my dac again after 2x Reflektor-D and BiB upgrade. The gap between NewNOS and EQHQ has widened for me for the EQHQ favor. Really, they are not similar at all anymore.

Also I find the EQHQv2r1 adresses the slight grit and edge in upper registers that bothered me before.
Thx Spzzzkt. Keep up the good work.
Old 19th June 2015, 12:49 PM   #1229
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priidik View Post
Did the same thing just now. First time hearing my dac again after 2x Reflektor-D and BiB upgrade. The gap between NewNOS and EQHQ has widened for me for the EQHQ favor. Really, they are not similar at all anymore.

Also I find the EQHQv2r1 adresses the slight grit and edge in upper registers that bothered me before.
Thx Spzzzkt. Keep up the good work.
Thnx Priidik...
Old 19th June 2015, 02:53 PM   #1230
zfe is offline zfe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I hope this will illustrate what I think is happening with the TrueNOS (and upsampling in general)
I think with "TrueNOS" you are just somehow lucky with uninitialized values

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
As I said, there isn't much error checking on filter tools, parameters have to match or consequences varies between subtle differences, to strange sound to no sound....
Quote:
The zero insert coefficient is basically setting how many zeros are inserted after the initial sample is read. If it's set for "1" there is no replacement/insertion done ...
I am next to sure that there is no special handling for the coefficients 1. It will just be the usual convolution code in the special case of filter length 1.

Moreover in real no zeros are inserted and no convolution with that signal and the filter is done at the 352.8 or 384kHz level.
The theoretically pattern s_i,0,0...0,s_{i+1},0,0... is used to implement the convolution more efficient, as 8 different (changing with every clock cycle) convolutions with filters of 1/8 of the original length (with 8x oversampling). This is standard textbook stuff and is the reason why you are allowed the double maximal numbers of filter taps for 44.1 compared with 88.2 etc.

Last edited by zfe; 19th June 2015 at 02:56 PM.

Filter brewing for the Soekris R2RHide this!Advertise here!