Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

freeDSP V2.0 (ADAU1452) developement thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2016, 08:42 PM   #121
n_dori is offline n_dori  Albania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelator View Post
It is an eclipse IDE. So why work with this one and not eclipse?
It's easier for somebody with no experience. Just for the first steps.
The problem is that you cannot use it on Linux.
Old 31st January 2016, 02:43 PM   #122
Pitrsek is offline Pitrsek  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pitrsek
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindamar View Post
hey nice job !!! it looks fantastic ��
I can see a couple of u.fl surface connectors, maybe for an external master clock?.
What do you use for the design ? (eagle,etc). I find really difficult to route the ADAU1701, cannot imagine what is like to route the 1452 with so many pins
cheers
Pepe
Thx. I'm using Altium Designer.
Yes, one U.FL is for external MCLK, one is just MCLK output. It's just an alternative output of MCLK, otherwise MCLK is presented on IDC connectors on back edge.

Yes, routing kinda sux(quite few compromises ). I was tempted to switch to 6L board so many times... I stayed with 4L due to availability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjjg View Post
1. DSP board with one fixed clock. R-Pi connected to one of the I2S lines as a music source. The R-Pi resamples to whatever fixed frequency we've set. This is the simplest, out-of-the-box case. The Linux driver can be very simple, basically setting the R-Pi in slave mode. It might be that there is already a generic I2S driver that does this for us.
Yep, single clock, RPI res-sampling. That is where I'm going. I'll do the same for the other input(windows machine with usb soundcard) - re-sample at source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjjg View Post
2. (optional but nice) Possibility to connect the DSP master control bus (now SPI?) to the controller or external EEPROM board.
This would be probably more useful in the short run - the ability to upload firmware through RPI, and when you can talk to the DSP from Rpi, you could control volume at DSP/DAC, instead of in RPi.
Actually its i2c again, had to make some space for another wires...

Thx ojg

Btw. I've seen some really interesting webinar from Steve Sandler(of Picotest) about flat power impedance - highly recommended.

I've spent last few days in bed with a fever, I'm sorry but i can not report any progress on my part. Hopefully upcoming days will be better.
Old 13th February 2016, 05:31 AM   #123
TonyRoe is offline TonyRoe  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone on this thread. I've wanted to make a start on this project for a while, and after shying away from freeDSP (not enough audio in/outs or processing speed), I discovered you guys were already head down tail up. I would love to join the group, and contribute what I can, mostly electronic design (I use Altium Designer), algorithms, most audio-related stuff, and making some headway with RPI / Linux / Python.

I want to get my head around the state of this project - lots of reading to do, but just had to say hello first.

Cheers
Tony
Old 17th February 2016, 07:54 PM   #124
Pitrsek is offline Pitrsek  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pitrsek
Welcome Tony

The PiDSP board is in finishing phase - I've included ESD protection on gpio/adc and changed buck converter to something more powerful(LMxxxx part, current mode with external comp, 4A? dunno the part number from top of my head. ). Layout is not done yet, but I hope It's not that far off.

If you like pcb/electronics design than DAC board is in the making and it needs quite some attention. The design has been thought out quite a bit,but board needs quite some work. It might be "available"(there is a picture of it few pages back) for you to continue if DAC is what interest you. Since I've spent quite some time with it already, I could pass you some notes + design files.

Another pcb project could be the front panel pcb. The connector on the Pidsp carries 4ADC,4GPIO, i2c from rpi for LCD, one pin from RPI for remote control + power management(power button + kill signal). Control panel would make this project really sweet. It would be easier/shorter project than DAC/ADC board and this I did not think about at all(So you would start on green field, with no jabbering about how I would go about it.).

High quality ADC board could be another popular possibility.

I'm up for a chat on skype if you like .
Old 18th February 2016, 07:08 AM   #125
erotavlas is offline erotavlas
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitrsek View Post
Welcome Tony

The PiDSP board is in finishing phase - I've included ESD protection on gpio/adc and changed buck converter to something more powerful(LMxxxx part, current mode with external comp, 4A? dunno the part number from top of my head. ). Layout is not done yet, but I hope It's not that far off.

If you like pcb/electronics design than DAC board is in the making and it needs quite some attention. The design has been thought out quite a bit,but board needs quite some work. It might be "available"(there is a picture of it few pages back) for you to continue if DAC is what interest you. Since I've spent quite some time with it already, I could pass you some notes + design files.

Another pcb project could be the front panel pcb. The connector on the Pidsp carries 4ADC,4GPIO, i2c from rpi for LCD, one pin from RPI for remote control + power management(power button + kill signal). Control panel would make this project really sweet. It would be easier/shorter project than DAC/ADC board and this I did not think about at all(So you would start on green field, with no jabbering about how I would go about it.).

High quality ADC board could be another popular possibility.

I'm up for a chat on skype if you like .
This is very interesting. Unfortunately, I cannot help you since I do not have enough knowledge to achieve this. However, I'm interested about buying the finished board. Do you have any plan about selling?
Old 18th February 2016, 07:37 AM   #126
Kindhornman is offline Kindhornman  United States
diyAudio Member

Pitrsek,
Is the concept for these board developments to be cutting edge sota? I was looking at the differences between the ADAU1452 and the integrated ADAU1701 which does most of what you are doing with all these discrete sections and the integration of most of these functions into the 1701 chipset. I realize you can chose dac's and adc and clocks and was just trying to catch up on the concept here. Thanks for any answers.
Old 22nd February 2016, 03:41 PM   #127
webby is offline webby  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitrsek View Post
Hi guys,
I have received several inquires about buying the board.If you don't mind, I'd like to ask You few questions:
Would you be interested in bare PCB, or populated one?
In which version would you be more interested? In current smaller one, or the bigger one from the beginning of the thread(spdif in/out, powersupply for rpi onboard, eurocard format)?
Keep up the good work Pitrsek!

I am hoping for a completed board to use with my RPI2, I already use a IQAudio DAC and use Rune or Volumo for playback with good sound quality.

I would like to use the DSP 2.0 as a pre with volume control and need an analogue input for vinyl.
I think having an DAC on the same board makes sense, can have small signal path and low noise etc.
If an all in one RPI DSP DAC was made it could be a versatile system, allowing Pre DSP, room correction, measurement if REW was compiled on RPI? And with software like Volumo and Rune, an excellent digital Hifi.

But I can understand wanting to keep the units separate, and probably give the project a wider appeal.
I'm grateful either way!
Thanks
Ian
Old 23rd February 2016, 07:51 AM   #128
ojg is offline ojg
diyAudio Member

On the question of DAC, you do have a "competitor" here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digit...-platform.html

His DAC board should in theory be possible to connect to your DSP board using a special cable harness. I think the ADAU1966 is a good choice for a multichannel DAC.
Old 23rd February 2016, 03:11 PM   #129
lindamar is offline lindamar  Spain
diyAudio Member

Thank you ojg, it is an excellent reference. Maybe that encourage Pitrsek to open his project too.... it would be great

cheers
Pepe
Old 28th February 2016, 07:44 AM   #130
webby is offline webby  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby View Post
Keep up the good work Pitrsek!

I am hoping for a completed board to use with my RPI2, I already use a IQAudio DAC and use Rune or Volumo for playback with good sound quality.

I would like to use the DSP 2.0 as a pre with volume control and need an analogue input for vinyl.
I think having an DAC on the same board makes sense, can have small signal path and low noise etc.
If an all in one RPI DSP DAC was made it could be a versatile system, allowing Pre DSP, room correction, measurement if REW was compiled on RPI? And with software like Volumo and Rune, an excellent digital Hifi.

But I can understand wanting to keep the units separate, and probably give the project a wider appeal.
I'm grateful either way!
Thanks
Ian
I forgot to add, that it would be ideal to be able to run Sigma Studio on the RPI too, that way we could adjust on the fly and room eq all from one device.

Can the RPI be used to program the DSP instead of an usb programmer?

Cheers
Ian

freeDSP V2.0 (ADAU1452) developement threadHide this!Advertise here!