Soekris' DAC implementations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could some kind people quickly confirm that the serial - USB converter with output 5V is OK to connect with DAM?

I just bought Unitek Y-1050 from a local store, measure with multimeter I got GND - TX is -5.5V

Thanks a lot!

You've already bought it... just try it? I don't recall the unitek as one of the ones that have verified success... so you could be the first.

FWIW, my usb to serial adapter combo (FTDI and MAX3232) gives -8.7v (it should be ground and rx line that gives -8.7v... gnd and tx line should be close to 0)

Last edited:
You've already bought it... just try it? I don't recall the unitek as one of the ones that have verified success... so you could be the first.

FWIW, my usb to serial adapter combo (FTDI and MAX3232) gives -8.7v (it should be ground and rx line that gives -8.7v... gnd and tx line should be close to 0)

Thanks ristar!
I still not success to connect that why I need to check around
I did order MAX3232 as your suggestion but it only arrive after 3 weeks :-(

laptopav: just cross the tx and rx lines if you haven't (try both - it won't harm the port according to a lot of the folks here... i crossed them so many times initially). Remember also to start the connection before powering up the DAC board (same each time you change the connections). If B&W managed to get it working on the same adapter you should be fine.

laptopav: just cross the tx and rx lines if you haven't (try both - it won't harm the port according to a lot of the folks here... i crossed them so many times initially). Remember also to start the connection before powering up the DAC board (same each time you change the connections). If B&W managed to get it working on the same adapter you should be fine.

Thanks ristar,

I could managed to get into uManager twice and ... that's it! Strange is I can not repeat even I try 50 times! I decide to wait until I find the real serial port some where or I receive MAX3232 from eBay.

But now I got a serious problem: the DAC denied to work after I tried to update the firmware (twice when I got in to uManager), but both not success when it hang in the middle. Now it can not lock the I2S or optical signal anymore, hope this could be fix with a success firmware updating?

Any people have the same experience?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks ristar,

I could managed to get into uManager twice and ... that's it! Strange is I can not repeat even I try 50 times! I decide to wait until I find the real serial port some where or I receive MAX3232 from eBay.

But now I got a serious problem: the DAC denied to work after I tried to update the firmware (twice when I got in to uManager), but both not success when it hang in the middle. Now it can not lock the I2S or optical signal anymore, hope this could be fix with a success firmware updating?

Any people have the same experience?

Thanks!

Ouch... that does not look/sound good at all. From one of Soren's earlier posts, the umanager is meant to CRC check the update before it applies it... but it seems like you may have somehow managed to "brick" the DAC. I'm not sure if Soren has implemented a recovery method to force update a proper firmware...

Did you use the right Xmodem protocol? Check both Dimdim's and Glt's blogs (I followed Dimdim's blog to the letter and have stuck with using extraputty). I've only had a filter file upload fail once (because I was too slow finding the file and it timed out halfway making it wonky... I needed to power cycle the DAC to get it to work properly again)... but that was just a filter and in your case, the fpga firmware is basically the digital core of the DAC.

Fingers-crossed another cable works.

Ouch... that does not look/sound good at all. From one of Soren's earlier posts, the umanager is meant to CRC check the update before it applies it... but it seems like you may have somehow managed to "brick" the DAC. I'm not sure if Soren has implemented a recovery method to force update a proper firmware...

Did you use the right Xmodem protocol? Check both Dimdim's and Glt's blogs (I followed Dimdim's blog to the letter and have stuck with using extraputty). I've only had a filter file upload fail once (because I was too slow finding the file and it timed out halfway making it wonky... I needed to power cycle the DAC to get it to work properly again)... but that was just a filter and in your case, the fpga firmware is basically the digital core of the DAC.

Fingers-crossed another cable works.

So it is mean I am the first people could brick DAM DAC! :)

And yes, I use correct Xmodem protocol, It even able transfer around 1/3 of the firmware.

I hope not since uManager based on a "base firmware" to work, as I understand: we "welcome" by base firmware before we type "+++" to get into uManager.

But I will have big problem if "base firmware" is corrupt, if so I will have a nice "bricked" DAC :)

Now I am hunting for a old PC, I will look for some old one in my office tomorrow...

Optical Toslink devices

Somehow what was not even considered a problem has driven me to extensive internet searches where the audio community didn’t reveal as much information as hoped for. The following might be of interest to others looking to find an audio Toslink connector.

Aixin Opto-Electrical Technology Co has an assortment of Toslink devices. If we can trust the specifications given at made-in-china.com they are grouped as follow:
  • 3 speeds = 13/16/25Mbps
  • 3 voltages = 2.7-5.5V, 3V-5V, 5V only
How to read device number (based on guesswork):
  • DLR = Receiver
  • DLT = Transmitter
  • First Digit = 2=25Mbps with exceptions of combo devices w/RCA
  • Second Digit = (unknown)
  • Third Digit = PCB layout and how to secure. 5=solder, 4=screw, 3=3 plastic pins
  • Forth Digit = Items ending with 0 (zero) seems to have shutter as opposed to dummy plug.
Most of them seems to be NRZ devices but I can’t find any threshold values. Guess they have to work fine with common voltage implementation..
When searching for these you might get better result prefixing AX- to the type number (AX-DLR2161).
Prices are approximately 60 cents apiece.

They are non-existing at all venders I’ve checked. Might corroborate what I read about some Sharp devices where someone implied there might be unsolved patent issue with these units.

Only seller I found so far that ships to EU are on Ali. But they insist on using DHL at 45$ shipping for a 60 cent piece. Please post if you find someone shipping ww to reasonable shipping costs.

One would think there exist a system to indicate voltage. But this is not clear to me so I post my accumulated list for reference.

Receivers
  • DLR11G0 16Mbps 5V
  • DLT1121A 16Mbps 3-5V
  • DLR1142 16Mbps 5V
  • DLR1151 16Mbps 5V
  • DLR1153 16Mbps 5V
  • DLR21A0 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR21B0 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR21C0 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR21D0 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR21E0 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR21G0 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR2111 25Mbps 2.7-5.5V w/screw
  • DLR2121 25Mbps 2.7-5.5V
  • DLR2130 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR2131 25Mbps 2.7-5.5V
  • DLR2140 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR2150 25Mbps 2.7-5.5V
  • DLR2151 25Mbps 2.7-5.5V
  • DLR2153 25Mbps 2.7-5.5V
  • DLR2160 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR2161 25Mbps 2.7-5.5V w/extra soldering strap
  • DLR2170 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR2180 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR21R5-D2 16Mbps 3~5V w/RCA
Transmitters
  • DLT1111A 13.5Mbps 3-5V
  • DLT11F0A 16 Mbps 3-5V
  • DLT11R2-D2 16 Mbps w/ RCA
  • DLT1120 16Mbps
  • DLT2111 25Mbps 3-5V
  • DLT2120 25Mbps 3-5V
  • DLT2140 25Mbps 3-5V
  • DLT2150 25Mbps 3-5V
  • DLT2180A 25Mbps 3-5V
  • DLT21R5-D2 25Mbps 3-5V w/RCA

Specifications for Toshiba’s obsolete TOTX142L and TORX142L might of interest.
  • Designed for digital audio systems with 192 kHz sampling frequency
  • Data rate: Up to 25 Mb/s
  • Transmission distance: Up to 5 m
  • Fiber output power: –21 to –15dBm
  • Minimum receivable power: –24dBm (max)
  • 650 nm LED
  • Supply voltage: 3.0 to 3.6 V
  • Operating temperature: –20 to 70 _C
  • Integrated shutter
This post will be buried deep here at diyAudio. Some keyword for the search engine that would helped me out: TORX147 TORX179 TOTX147 TOTX179 RC-5720 CP-1201

You on Mac or PC?

I am using an old duo-core PC running Windows XP.
I just plugged the Unitek adapter it ran well without installing driver.
However, it took me more than 10 minutes to update the firmware successfully
because there are a lot of tricks and traps in setting the hyper-terminal correctly.
My suggestion is read GLT's bolg and Dimdim's blog carefully.
In addition, for each unsuccessful trial, I ran a power cycle of my Dam1021
before reconnecting through hyper-terminal.

I have not checked whether my Unitek adapter is running at 3.3V or 5V,
anyway it gets my job done.

Thanks for the head up on the GB. Missed that one.

TORX147L, if you can get hold of one will only get you to 96kHz. The Cliff version is probably an AX OEM version. Fascinated by the datasheet not mention speed of the ORJ-5.

AX-DLR2180 looks like it has the same footprint as TORX147. NOT CONFIRMED - See pictures at aliexpress.com

I’ve just wired up the DAM dac, fed by a Rpi running Volumio and fire it up for the first time. But I’m not yet getting any sound. When I play a track the green led on the DAM comes on solid which I suspect indicates it is sensing a signal. I’ve rechecked the I2S pin-out, the ISO side it being fed 3.3V. I have selected the generic I2s output within Volumio.

Some of you have got this to work. Is there anything else I need to configure on RPi?

I have run the DAM with Volumio and with Voyage Mubox. I personally prefer Voyage. There are instructions on the Voyage website for getting it to run with the DAM. Volumio 1.51 works with the Soekris using the mods to Volumio to get it to work with the ESS9018K2M as described on the Volumio site.

So it is mean I am the first people could brick DAM DAC! :)

And yes, I use correct Xmodem protocol, It even able transfer around 1/3 of the firmware.

I hope not since uManager based on a "base firmware" to work, as I understand: we "welcome" by base firmware before we type "+++" to get into uManager.

But I will have big problem if "base firmware" is corrupt, if so I will have a nice "bricked" DAC :)

Now I am hunting for a old PC, I will look for some old one in my office tomorrow...

I don't believe this is a big problem because I had the same thing happen to me when my serial program (xc) failed to upload the firmware intact causing the port to freeze. Upon power cycle the DAC would not lock to anything at all however I was still able to get into umanager with +++ and reupload the firmware, which using another program (minicom) worked fine.

There are loads of NOS TORX147L receivers on eBay, not hard to get. The one I ordered works absolutely fine at 96/192khz.

Toshiba TORX147L TORX147 15Mbps Fiber Optical Receiver 3 Pin x 1pc | eBay

Interesting. I've read somewhere the claim Toshiba upgraded TORX147 to 25Mmps and gave it the extension (F,T) when they discontinued TORX142. Doesn’t make sense to me. Why didn’t they just stop production of the slow device? Datasheet I’ve found on TORX147LFT support my thinking and still list the FT version as a 15Mbps device for 96kHz audio.
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/torx147l_f_t.pdf

But nothing better if you have it working. That’s what count isn’t it? Can I as if the link you provided is the same units you actually use with success at 196kHz?

Interesting. I've read somewhere the claim Toshiba upgraded TORX147 to 25Mmps and gave it the extension (F,T) when they discontinued TORX142. Doesn’t make sense to me. Why didn’t they just stop production of the slow device? Datasheet I’ve found on TORX147LFT support my thinking and still list the FT version as a 15Mbps device for 96kHz audio.
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/torx147l_f_t.pdf

But nothing better if you have it working. That’s what count isn’t it? Can I as if the link you provided is the same units you actually use with success at 196kHz?

Given you only need just over 12Mbps for 32bit/192khz/stereo, what is special about these 25Mbps receivers over the common 15Mbps ones?

Given you only need just over 12Mbps for 32bit/192khz/stereo, what is special about these 25Mbps receivers over the common 15Mbps ones?

I based that impression on my reading of failure reports by TORX147 users and “datasheets” for the AX devices :spin:
It’s also my understanding how Toshiba marked TORX142. Although reading it again I now see they don’t explicit say so.
Could it be that in the early days they precluded for heat failsafe and parts degradation? +10% error and you are getting close to the limits.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

As far as I was able to find AX only claim 192kHz for the they’re 25Mbps units. Then again, that might just be a quality issue with they're 15Mbps units? Note that they say "up to 15Mbps".
China Ax-Dlr2180 Hot Sale The Newest of The Audio Optical Toslink - China Toslink, Optical Toslink

Those reporting TORX147 not function on 192Hz/24bit could be working on fakes, or just implemented them wrongly. The slowest AX devices are just over 13Mbps. If that’s what people are referring to when testing Chinese no-name devices they’re for sure are pushing the limits.

2008 catalog Toshiba doesn’t list any 25Mpbs Toslink devices at all. But they do introduce TORX1300 with extended working heat range up to 85°C.
http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/Toshiba PDFs/Fiber-Optic Devices TOSLINK.pdf

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.