Soekris' DAC implementations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@Eldam

Thank you for creating this thread. As a Dac beginner, I have learned from some of the conversations. Also, some of the links on the first page, in particular components for the build, are very useful.

Please allow me to contribute to the component list. For those in the US, one option for a transformer is the Antek AN-0107 - 10VA 7V Transformer. I've had good luck with Antek transformers in other projects. If appropriate, please add to the list of transformers.

Sure, have you vendor link to make the Antek traffo info fully usefull please (Mouser, Digikey or any other one in the US ) ?

My understanding looking at the text filter Soekris showed in him thread is that the FIR2 correction is so light than you maybe can not hear it ! Who knows ?

That's why if the good job made by the digiltar filter guys abort to find a good enough trade off I was thinking of converting my digital Library upsampling it (double the HDD space !) or swap to a more efficient player.

But for sure it will be better to have a sucess with the filter job as we have not all a player which can upsampling on the fly or the desire to double our Library by an already upsampled one with Soft like Sox (hopping it can be made in one time by a routine :) .

Myself I use a NAS with a priority package : Synology Diskstation ! I had a conversation asking them when they swap to LMS compatible 192 Khz for the people who like their SB Touch and mostly when they plan to package some good player like FooBar with HDCD plug in (and Sox one :) !)

(antek traffo update done for US markett ! 10 bucks wow : give me a green card ! )

Last edited:
(antek traffo update done for US markett ! 10 bucks wow : give me a green card ! )

Yes, Antek, making transformers in China and selling them inexpensively in the US. Actually, they are pretty good. The rumor is that Nelson Pass has used them in some of his Pass Labs stuff.

I agree with the frustration on trans-Atlantic shipping costs. I have suffered the cost going the other way at times. It's too bad that Antek hasn't opened an office in Europe.

About the plop at switch on/off ! Is it due to the current needed by the Spartan ?

Came from the caps or because they "saw" also he traffo via the Schoktty diodes bridge ?
2 cents idea, i'm not electronic tech :

What about what Chord did with the Huggo : low super cap 1F/2.5 in serie between the traffo and the diodes bridge to damp this peak ? Does the low ESR of the Nichicon could be enough for the pcb in front off the very high ESR of such super cap.

What voltage value is needed for the 7 V traffo before the rectifier bridge ? Do we have to take the peak to peak V unloaded to choose the Voltage cap value ? E.G. 4x 1 F/2.5 V in serie = 0.25F/10 V with huge high ESR : an inerty Wheel ! on the last super cap a shunthigh value Z resistor to discharge when switch off the DAC !

Of course if it not waste the ESR seen by the pcb as the FGPA need the lowest possible ESR ! What are the actual ESR of the embeded Nichicon caps ? 5 m Ohms ?

In the Hugho they did it also I guess because the embeded battery, they work better with huge caps bench between it and the load, no ?
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/chord/2.html

. The rumor is that Nelson Pass has used them in some of his Pass Labs stuff.

I have a pair of SIT 1's which contain ANTEKs so it is no rumor.

One has to figure even Mr. Pass got tired of PLITRON's pricing!

ANTEK is a good company. I have a few of their transformers though I am not much of one for toroids. Hard to beat a well designed EI for high quality audio purposes.

Using the 7 volts HAMMOND split cores for the time being with my SOEKRIS before I replace them with the A123 battieres (at the input Soekris!).

One has to figure even Mr. Pass got tired of PLITRON's pricing!

ANTEK is a good company. I have a few of their transformers though I am not much of one for toroids. Hard to beat a well designed EI for high quality audio purposes.

Using the 7 volts HAMMOND split cores for the time being with my SOEKRIS before I replace them with the A123 battieres (at the input Soekris!).

ive +/- 8v and 3.3 from lifepo4 nos filter in atm
strange though as everyone keeps saying no digital filter should sound bad
sounds very good for me i could almost live with it

yea this dac
dynamic improved a little with nos in comparison to stock filter
a bit with lifepo4 power
still feel it should be a more dynamic response rate
have not replaced caps yet so should be a bit in that too
nos has better decay, reverb, instrumental placement
well its a real sort of sound
need to test more filters
detail is suburb

yea this dac
dynamic improved a little with nos in comparison to stock filter
a bit with lifepo4 power
still feel it should be a more dynamic response rate
have not replaced caps yet so should be a bit in that too
nos has better decay, reverb, instrumental placement
well its a real sort of sound
need to test more filters
detail is suburb

Agree. Listened to original for four days, NOS for four days and in the second day of the MB2. Generally agree with the above although I think Paul has good ears - I agree with him there is a slight 'thickness' or 'darkness' to the NOS. MB2 has great width to the soundstage, seems a little thinner and less 'real'. Very listenable though. All this using the built-in digital volume control.

Agree. Listened to original for four days, NOS for four days and in the second day of the MB2. Generally agree with the above although I think Paul has good ears - I agree with him there is a slight 'thickness' or 'darkness' to the NOS. MB2 has great width to the soundstage, seems a little thinner and less 'real'. Very listenable though. All this using the built-in digital volume control.

in my over enthusiastic nature ive bypassed the 3.3v rail although its cleaned up the sound somewhat
i probably should have left it until i tested more filters

in my over enthusiastic nature ive bypassed the 3.3v rail although its cleaned up the sound somewhat
i probably should have left it until i tested more filters

What did you use in place of the reg?

I prefer to try the filters first and just do the easier PS experiments like trying a bipolar 12V - which I haven't yet as I thought I'd settle on a filter I liked first then try the PS mods. Or maybe I will then try all the filters again with the different PSs.....

The beauty (to me) of this DAC is the ability to listen to all the filter options - we should mostly all be able to arrive at something that suits our individual predilections, prejudices, preamps, power amps and hearing curves. All for a reasonable price. That's progress.

Last edited:
What did you use in place of the reg?

I prefer to try the filters first and just do the easier PS experiments like trying a bipolar 12V - which I haven't yet as I thought I'd settle on a filter I liked first then try the PS mods. Or maybe I will then try all the filters again with the different PSs.....

The beauty (to me) of this DAC is the ability to listen to all the filter options - we should mostly all be able to arrive at something that suits our individual predilections, prejudices, preamps, power amps and hearing curves. All for a reasonable price. That's progress.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Cool! And I'm a touch jealous.

If you have a source and a part number for the Hammond tranformers, it would be good to share. Same for the A123 batteries, LiFePO4 battieries, etc. It's good to have sources.

After reading up on input stages I removed the grounding cap on my coax input so I just have transformer, power, and the 2 resistors. The bass went from mud to music. Dramatic change, I could never make out tone below 60 hz before this. Does this change in sound make sense from a technical standpoint?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.