Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Soekris' DAC implementations
Soekris' DAC implementations
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2015, 01:48 PM   #601
ristar is offline ristar  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laptopav View Post
Could some kind people quickly confirm that the serial - USB converter with output 5V is OK to connect with DAM?

I just bought Unitek Y-1050 from a local store, measure with multimeter I got GND - TX is -5.5V

Thanks a lot!
You've already bought it... just try it? I don't recall the unitek as one of the ones that have verified success... so you could be the first.

FWIW, my usb to serial adapter combo (FTDI and MAX3232) gives -8.7v (it should be ground and rx line that gives -8.7v... gnd and tx line should be close to 0)

Last edited by ristar; 21st March 2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 21st March 2015, 02:51 PM   #602
laptopav is offline laptopav  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ristar View Post
You've already bought it... just try it? I don't recall the unitek as one of the ones that have verified success... so you could be the first.

FWIW, my usb to serial adapter combo (FTDI and MAX3232) gives -8.7v (it should be ground and rx line that gives -8.7v... gnd and tx line should be close to 0)
Thanks ristar!
I still not success to connect that why I need to check around
I did order MAX3232 as your suggestion but it only arrive after 3 weeks :-(
Old 21st March 2015, 03:22 PM   #603
B&W_arthur is offline B&W_arthur  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

I used an unitek adaptor and updated the firmware successfully.
Mine look like this one (at least the color is the same):

UNITEK -- Hong Kong based famous brand who provides professional computer accessories USB Converter - USB 2.0 Converter - 1.5M, USB to Serial Converter
Old 21st March 2015, 04:36 PM   #604
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W_arthur View Post
I used an unitek adaptor and updated the firmware successfully.
Mine look like this one (at least the color is the same):

UNITEK -- Hong Kong based famous brand who provides professional computer accessories USB Converter - USB 2.0 Converter - 1.5M, USB to Serial Converter
You on Mac or PC?
Old 21st March 2015, 04:47 PM   #605
diyAudio Member

laptopav: just cross the tx and rx lines if you haven't (try both - it won't harm the port according to a lot of the folks here... i crossed them so many times initially). Remember also to start the connection before powering up the DAC board (same each time you change the connections). If B&W managed to get it working on the same adapter you should be fine.
Old 22nd March 2015, 11:52 AM   #606
diyAudio Member

Quote:
laptopav: just cross the tx and rx lines if you haven't (try both - it won't harm the port according to a lot of the folks here... i crossed them so many times initially). Remember also to start the connection before powering up the DAC board (same each time you change the connections). If B&W managed to get it working on the same adapter you should be fine.
Thanks ristar,

I could managed to get into uManager twice and ... that's it! Strange is I can not repeat even I try 50 times! I decide to wait until I find the real serial port some where or I receive MAX3232 from eBay.

But now I got a serious problem: the DAC denied to work after I tried to update the firmware (twice when I got in to uManager), but both not success when it hang in the middle. Now it can not lock the I2S or optical signal anymore, hope this could be fix with a success firmware updating?

Any people have the same experience?

Thanks!

Last edited by laptopav; 22nd March 2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 22nd March 2015, 12:35 PM   #607
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laptopav View Post
Thanks ristar,

I could managed to get into uManager twice and ... that's it! Strange is I can not repeat even I try 50 times! I decide to wait until I find the real serial port some where or I receive MAX3232 from eBay.

But now I got a serious problem: the DAC denied to work after I tried to update the firmware (twice when I got in to uManager), but both not success when it hang in the middle. Now it can not lock the I2S or optical signal anymore, hope this could be fix with a success firmware updating?

Any people have the same experience?

Thanks!
Ouch... that does not look/sound good at all. From one of Soren's earlier posts, the umanager is meant to CRC check the update before it applies it... but it seems like you may have somehow managed to "brick" the DAC. I'm not sure if Soren has implemented a recovery method to force update a proper firmware...

Did you use the right Xmodem protocol? Check both Dimdim's and Glt's blogs (I followed Dimdim's blog to the letter and have stuck with using extraputty). I've only had a filter file upload fail once (because I was too slow finding the file and it timed out halfway making it wonky... I needed to power cycle the DAC to get it to work properly again)... but that was just a filter and in your case, the fpga firmware is basically the digital core of the DAC.

Fingers-crossed another cable works.
Old 22nd March 2015, 03:17 PM   #608
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ouch... that does not look/sound good at all. From one of Soren's earlier posts, the umanager is meant to CRC check the update before it applies it... but it seems like you may have somehow managed to "brick" the DAC. I'm not sure if Soren has implemented a recovery method to force update a proper firmware...

Did you use the right Xmodem protocol? Check both Dimdim's and Glt's blogs (I followed Dimdim's blog to the letter and have stuck with using extraputty). I've only had a filter file upload fail once (because I was too slow finding the file and it timed out halfway making it wonky... I needed to power cycle the DAC to get it to work properly again)... but that was just a filter and in your case, the fpga firmware is basically the digital core of the DAC.

Fingers-crossed another cable works.
So it is mean I am the first people could brick DAM DAC! :-)

And yes, I use correct Xmodem protocol, It even able transfer around 1/3 of the firmware.

I hope not since uManager based on a "base firmware" to work, as I understand: we "welcome" by base firmware before we type "+++" to get into uManager.

But I will have big problem if "base firmware" is corrupt, if so I will have a nice "bricked" DAC :-)

Now I am hunting for a old PC, I will look for some old one in my office tomorrow...
Old 22nd March 2015, 03:21 PM   #609
diyAudio Member

Maybe try typical networking software recovery methods (e.g. power down for 30 seconds before powering it up again)

Sorry not able to help more - even when my transfer froze midway for the filter file the DAC was always perfectly fine and locking on my i2s signal.
Old 22nd March 2015, 04:37 PM   #610
DEQ+TheEnd is offline DEQ+TheEnd  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Optical Toslink devices

Somehow what was not even considered a problem has driven me to extensive internet searches where the audio community didn’t reveal as much information as hoped for. The following might be of interest to others looking to find an audio Toslink connector.

Aixin Opto-Electrical Technology Co has an assortment of Toslink devices. If we can trust the specifications given at made-in-china.com they are grouped as follow:
  • 3 speeds = 13/16/25Mbps
  • 3 voltages = 2.7-5.5V, 3V-5V, 5V only
How to read device number (based on guesswork):
  • DLR = Receiver
  • DLT = Transmitter
  • First Digit = 2=25Mbps with exceptions of combo devices w/RCA
  • Second Digit = (unknown)
  • Third Digit = PCB layout and how to secure. 5=solder, 4=screw, 3=3 plastic pins
  • Forth Digit = Items ending with 0 (zero) seems to have shutter as opposed to dummy plug.
Most of them seems to be NRZ devices but I can’t find any threshold values. Guess they have to work fine with common voltage implementation..
When searching for these you might get better result prefixing AX- to the type number (AX-DLR2161).
Prices are approximately 60 cents apiece.

They are non-existing at all venders I’ve checked. Might corroborate what I read about some Sharp devices where someone implied there might be unsolved patent issue with these units.

Only seller I found so far that ships to EU are on Ali. But they insist on using DHL at 45$ shipping for a 60 cent piece. Please post if you find someone shipping ww to reasonable shipping costs.

One would think there exist a system to indicate voltage. But this is not clear to me so I post my accumulated list for reference.

Receivers
  • DLR11G0 16Mbps 5V
  • DLT1121A 16Mbps 3-5V
  • DLR1142 16Mbps 5V
  • DLR1151 16Mbps 5V
  • DLR1153 16Mbps 5V
  • DLR21A0 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR21B0 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR21C0 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR21D0 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR21E0 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR21G0 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR2111 25Mbps 2.7-5.5V w/screw
  • DLR2121 25Mbps 2.7-5.5V
  • DLR2130 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR2131 25Mbps 2.7-5.5V
  • DLR2140 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR2150 25Mbps 2.7-5.5V
  • DLR2151 25Mbps 2.7-5.5V
  • DLR2153 25Mbps 2.7-5.5V
  • DLR2160 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR2161 25Mbps 2.7-5.5V w/extra soldering strap
  • DLR2170 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR2180 25Mbps 5V
  • DLR21R5-D2 16Mbps 3~5V w/RCA
Transmitters
  • DLT1111A 13.5Mbps 3-5V
  • DLT11F0A 16 Mbps 3-5V
  • DLT11R2-D2 16 Mbps w/ RCA
  • DLT1120 16Mbps
  • DLT2111 25Mbps 3-5V
  • DLT2120 25Mbps 3-5V
  • DLT2140 25Mbps 3-5V
  • DLT2150 25Mbps 3-5V
  • DLT2180A 25Mbps 3-5V
  • DLT21R5-D2 25Mbps 3-5V w/RCA

Specifications for Toshiba’s obsolete TOTX142L and TORX142L might of interest.
  • Designed for digital audio systems with 192 kHz sampling frequency
  • Data rate: Up to 25 Mb/s
  • Transmission distance: Up to 5 m
  • Fiber output power: –21 to –15dBm
  • Minimum receivable power: –24dBm (max)
  • 650 nm LED
  • Supply voltage: 3.0 to 3.6 V
  • Operating temperature: –20 to 70 _C
  • Integrated shutter
This post will be buried deep here at diyAudio. Some keyword for the search engine that would helped me out: TORX147 TORX179 TOTX147 TOTX179 RC-5720 CP-1201

Soekris' DAC implementationsHide this!Advertise here!