Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Soekris' DAC implementations
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2015, 03:46 PM   #501
palmito is offline palmito  United States
:)
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikestabber View Post
Good if you are in the US I guess, otherwise paying $40 to ship a $10 part is a bit much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehmanhill View Post
For those in the US,
I believe he was pretty clear in his suggestion...
Old 21st February 2015, 04:21 PM   #502
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
Banned

Quote:
@Eldam

Thank you for creating this thread. As a Dac beginner, I have learned from some of the conversations. Also, some of the links on the first page, in particular components for the build, are very useful.

Please allow me to contribute to the component list. For those in the US, one option for a transformer is the Antek AN-0107 - 10VA 7V Transformer. I've had good luck with Antek transformers in other projects. If appropriate, please add to the list of transformers.
Sure, have you vendor link to make the Antek traffo info fully usefull please (Mouser, Digikey or any other one in the US ) ?
Old 21st February 2015, 04:25 PM   #503
MisterRogers is offline MisterRogers  United States
diyAudio Member

Antek only sells direct. If you google 'Antek AN-0107' you get:

AN-0107 - 10VA 7V Transformer - AnTek Products Corp
Old 21st February 2015, 04:39 PM   #504
Superdad is offline Superdad  United States
diyAudio Member

Just to be clear, can someone here confirm with regards to FIR2?
I know that FIR1 gets bypassed when feeding the board 352.8/384KHz, but is it also possible to turn off FIR2? I keep getting the impression that it is not possible.
Thank you.
Old 21st February 2015, 04:50 PM   #505
Banned

My understanding looking at the text filter Soekris showed in him thread is that the FIR2 correction is so light than you maybe can not hear it ! Who knows ?

That's why if the good job made by the digiltar filter guys abort to find a good enough trade off I was thinking of converting my digital Library upsampling it (double the HDD space !) or swap to a more efficient player.

But for sure it will be better to have a sucess with the filter job as we have not all a player which can upsampling on the fly or the desire to double our Library by an already upsampled one with Soft like Sox (hopping it can be made in one time by a routine .

Myself I use a NAS with a priority package : Synology Diskstation ! I had a conversation asking them when they swap to LMS compatible 192 Khz for the people who like their SB Touch and mostly when they plan to package some good player like FooBar with HDCD plug in (and Sox one !)

(antek traffo update done for US markett ! 10 bucks wow : give me a green card ! )

Last edited by Eldam; 21st February 2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 21st February 2015, 09:50 PM   #506
lehmanhill is offline lehmanhill  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldam View Post
(antek traffo update done for US markett ! 10 bucks wow : give me a green card ! )
Yes, Antek, making transformers in China and selling them inexpensively in the US. Actually, they are pretty good. The rumor is that Nelson Pass has used them in some of his Pass Labs stuff.

I agree with the frustration on trans-Atlantic shipping costs. I have suffered the cost going the other way at times. It's too bad that Antek hasn't opened an office in Europe.
Old 22nd February 2015, 02:03 PM   #507
Banned

About the plop at switch on/off ! Is it due to the current needed by the Spartan ?

Came from the caps or because they "saw" also he traffo via the Schoktty diodes bridge ?
2 cents idea, i'm not electronic tech :

What about what Chord did with the Huggo : low super cap 1F/2.5 in serie between the traffo and the diodes bridge to damp this peak ? Does the low ESR of the Nichicon could be enough for the pcb in front off the very high ESR of such super cap.

What voltage value is needed for the 7 V traffo before the rectifier bridge ? Do we have to take the peak to peak V unloaded to choose the Voltage cap value ? E.G. 4x 1 F/2.5 V in serie = 0.25F/10 V with huge high ESR : an inerty Wheel ! on the last super cap a shunthigh value Z resistor to discharge when switch off the DAC !

Of course if it not waste the ESR seen by the pcb as the FGPA need the lowest possible ESR ! What are the actual ESR of the embeded Nichicon caps ? 5 m Ohms ?

In the Hugho they did it also I guess because the embeded battery, they work better with huge caps bench between it and the load, no ?
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/chord/2.html
Old 22nd February 2015, 03:02 PM   #508
rickmcinnis is offline rickmcinnis  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
. The rumor is that Nelson Pass has used them in some of his Pass Labs stuff.
I have a pair of SIT 1's which contain ANTEKs so it is no rumor.

One has to figure even Mr. Pass got tired of PLITRON's pricing!

ANTEK is a good company. I have a few of their transformers though I am not much of one for toroids. Hard to beat a well designed EI for high quality audio purposes.

Using the 7 volts HAMMOND split cores for the time being with my SOEKRIS before I replace them with the A123 battieres (at the input Soekris!).
Old 22nd February 2015, 04:38 PM   #509
nige2000 is offline nige2000  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmcinnis View Post
I have a pair of SIT 1's which contain ANTEKs so it is no rumor.

One has to figure even Mr. Pass got tired of PLITRON's pricing!

ANTEK is a good company. I have a few of their transformers though I am not much of one for toroids. Hard to beat a well designed EI for high quality audio purposes.

Using the 7 volts HAMMOND split cores for the time being with my SOEKRIS before I replace them with the A123 battieres (at the input Soekris!).

ive +/- 8v and 3.3 from lifepo4 nos filter in atm
strange though as everyone keeps saying no digital filter should sound bad
sounds very good for me i could almost live with it
Old 22nd February 2015, 06:20 PM   #510
Banned

with this dac you mean ? What about the general dynamic ? Is it alive ?

Soekris' DAC implementationsHide this!Advertise here!