Soekris' DAC implementations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes surely more accurate.:D

And stay true, for the opposite :" tolinsk woulg give better result because just groundloop isolation".... without looking at the other problems it generates !

So is it false than "most" of the tolinsk connection are giving worst result than spidf ? Was it a plot from the spidf lovers VS the tolinsk ones for the last 3 years ?

Btw I was just answering to this partial "vue d'esprit" from TNT... so with all those folklores we will create TNT and I a grup :).

Let's return please to the thread who was open by a non technician to help non-technicians... if you want of course !

Last edited:
I might have lived in Amsterdam the last 17 years, but I am originally a swedish-speaking Finn. :)

Learned my electrical engineering and CS at the Helsinki University of Technology, my musicology at University of Helsinki, and spent much of my youth sailing the Baltic Sea and on the Åland Islands...

Younger, a sweedisch girlfriend opened a ferment herring tin than they call the Surstoming :eek:. It is forbiden in the planes

I am pretty sure it is banned by the Geneva Convention.

Ahaha I remember I looked at the botle of white wines and finally opened a frozen pepper vodka !
That's the spirit!

Not this stuff?

IMG_0338.JPG

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Yes, as Soekris advised above, an isolation transformer is better than without, also with the isolated entries of the DAC.

I don't know but many listeners can listen to it when he has the choice on the same device between spidf and toslink

At least this is my understanding and experience.

We clearly lack clear testimonials about respective advantages between this two ways !

What you have experienced with your current DAC is not going to be indicative of how the Soekris DAC responds to COAX and TOSLINK.

FWIW S/PDIF is a data standard that defines two physical layers: RCA/BNC and TOSLINK. AES/EBU has an almost identical data format to S/PDIF, and uses a third physical layer using XLR connectors.

The conventional wisdom is that if a DAC has complete jitter rejection then there will be no difference between cable formats.

The FIFO method Søren has used is possibly the most effective way of eliminating jitter in the incoming data stream - to the point the jitter introduced by the clock, fpga and IC's on the DAC board should be the determinant of jitter levels at the output of the DAC.

As for TOSLINK being a bad protocol, I'll share my favourite online test data from a Stereophile review of a Musical Fidelity V-Link .

The "eye pattern" of the S/PDIF data waveform, connected via 15' of plastic TosLink, was wide open and free from timing uncertainty at its start and end (fig.1), and the Audio Precision System SYS2722 calculated the jitter in this datastream to be a very low 395 picoseconds peak. This is not quite as low as the Halide S/PDIF Bridge, which measured 345ps peak, but was the same as the Stello U2. (All figures calculated with a 50Hz–100kHz measurement bandwidth.)
fig.1:
511MFVLfig1.jpg

Pretty good performance for a protocol that is supposedly far worse than coax. Perhaps the V-Link has a superior TOSLINK implementation to your Squeezebox, but regardless it shows that TOSLINK is not inherently flawed.

Anyway, I suspect you'll find that the dam1021 will have little sensitivity to the different cable formats.

Last edited:
I asked for spidf mainly because I'm Squeezeboxed and twrak it with true 75 ohms plugs and wire. But this Squeezebox allows also toslink, but before a prove of concept if me, I will choose spidf first !

If you have a Squeezebox Touch you should definitely install the free EDO plugin and use the USB port as a digital output. Then get the excellent Amanero board and feed the Soekris dac with the I2S signal. I guarantee you won't look back.
The Amanero Combo board doesn't need drivers with Linux machines such as Squeezebox, and it's cheap too given it's marvellous performance.
It's a no brainer unless you use the USB port for music data. In that case I suggest you use the ethernet or wifi interface in stead.

...............................The FIFO method Søren has used is possibly the most effective way of eliminating jitter in the incoming data stream - to the point the jitter introduced by the clock, fpga and IC's on the DAC board should be the determinant of jitter levels at the output of the DAC.

I think Søren (soekris) mentioned that his FIFO scheme TRACKS the incoming clock to prevent FIFO overflow. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...-magnitude-24-bit-384-khz-57.html#post4135993 As per my humble understanding this is not the ultimate scheme in fighting jitter; Mark Levinson (name came because I used to have 360S) and many others have done that in 90'.

It seems Ian's (iancanada) approach is more comprehensive.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.