Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Soekris' DAC implementations
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2015, 01:39 PM   #161
rickmcinnis is offline rickmcinnis  United States
diyAudio Member

Will the SOEKRIS DAC use the same connectors for I2S input as WAVE IO non-isolated? Per the post above, uFL? Must admit did not know what to call those.
Old 21st January 2015, 02:09 PM   #162
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
Banned

what you need is always a gnd pin near a signal one for the closest return path while this gnd return path (G) allow some isolement from the next I2S signal path (S).

So you need a flat cable with 6 wires : SGSGSG or 3 coax cable where the shielding is the gnd return path. verify the impedance of the cable !

So i believe the Wave I/O (not have yet, waiting mine) have a non isolated output with uf-l conectors and isolate output with a plug wich allow GSGSGS...

Choose what is the most useful for the Soekris's input side... some cut a side of an uf-l at one side when no-ufl are present at one side, others prefer coax on a connector... sure some digikey/mouser/farnel could be interrest us to match the size pitch pins of the Soekri's inputs...

some good readings about glass fiber and short interconnects : DIYHiFi.org • View topic - Optic fiber Is Stereophile mag knowing more things than Jocko ? Well finaly advise the SB Touch owner to stay with SE SPIDF output to profit from 192 Khz...as the toslink on it is limited (my understanding) at 96 Khz though the upgrade at 192 Khz (in the particular case of SB Touch's toslink...)

Well after some readings on Slimdevices : both squezebox server is limiting the Duet receiver at 44 Khz as also the hards architecture embeded in the Duet receiver.... (with the Subbu/Duet combo 75 ohms interconect and some good tweaking I have a as good quality than a good SACD player and an other CD 24/192 CD player... so I will considere to swap with a squeezelite server on a BBB feed from an external clock one later day, not yet , boring all this wires and micro devices...

Last edited by Eldam; 21st January 2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 21st January 2015, 02:52 PM   #163
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambadoo View Post
Just ordered a gustard u12 usb-i2s converter. Will try to see how it performs with soerens dac
Have you not expensive administrative customs declaration fees from DHL/UPS with it (around 27 euros here for their administrativ task ) + customs taxes: + 30% or with a minimum below 25 euros ????

I given up to buy in USA with such DHL/UPS shipment because all the hassles.... more money spent with taxes than with the products !
Old 21st January 2015, 03:00 PM   #164
bambadoo is offline bambadoo  Norway
diyAudio Member

The customs declaration fees and all crap around that is really crazy here also. Still, I took a chance
Old 21st January 2015, 04:21 PM   #165
Banned

What sort of pot is needed for the volume control please ?

log or linear ?

Is it a mono plot which command 2 channels (stereo) or each canal need its plot (dual plot or two mono plot for a fine balance correction ) ?

10 k ? 100 K ?

Sorry if already asked elsewhere in the vendor thread
Old 21st January 2015, 04:41 PM   #166
soekris is online now soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldam View Post
What sort of pot is needed for the volume control please ?

log or linear ?

Is it a mono plot which command 2 channels (stereo) or each canal need its plot (dual plot or two mono plot for a fine balance correction ) ?

10 k ? 100 K ?

Sorry if already asked elsewhere in the vendor thread
Any mono linear one from 1K to 10K, preferable high quality conductive plastic to avoid noise....
Old 21st January 2015, 05:47 PM   #167
Banned

thank you Soren, I update the first page if anyone want this information before receiving the manual you will provide with the DAC.
Old 21st January 2015, 06:46 PM   #168
Bones13 is offline Bones13  United States
Techie Wanabe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
That's a bifilar wound toroid. Assuming you can get a core with enough inductance and low enough loss (a bit tricky) then you'll have a large interwinding capacitance. This couples common-mode noise fairly effectively. With a core as large as they've chosen it'll probably still have more leakage inductance than a SC, despite being bifilar.
I ordered an AN one from HiFiCollective, I figure that they already have done the work of making these well.

I noticed some from Lundahl as well :

LUNDAHL LL1574 TRANSFORMER Digital audio impedance matching, PC mounting, 100/75 ohms

Last edited by Bones13; 21st January 2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 21st January 2015, 07:11 PM   #169
grael is offline grael  France
diyAudio Member

Another suitable power supply transformer.
Shop is based in france but ships almost anywhere.

transformateur torique 15va 2x7v
Old 21st January 2015, 09:21 PM   #170
SebastianL is offline SebastianL  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default HDMI I2S out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambadoo View Post
Just ordered a gustard u12 usb-i2s converter. Will try to see how it performs with soerens dac
Then I hope you know how the HDMI pinout is configured

Soekris' DAC implementationsHide this!Advertise here!