Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Soekris' DAC implementations
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2017, 07:32 AM   #1011
RollE2k is offline RollE2k  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Isolation is occasionally a good idea, but if you want to use a balanced connection, it is the input end that is important, not the output (driving a balanced, differential connection and input from an unbalanced output still gives most of the benefits of a fully balanced setup).
If the following stage is a native balanced, it is of benefit...
But why would a transformer phase splitter be worse than op-amp phase splitter that is there today? I would say it have more benefits, except the THD measurements....
Old 18th February 2017, 07:53 AM   #1012
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollE2k View Post
But why would a transformer phase splitter be worse than op-amp phase splitter that is there today? I would say it have more benefits, except the THD measurements....
THD, IM, and limited frequency range are the main downsides. Galvanic isolation is the only real upside. Do you need that?
Old 18th February 2017, 08:24 AM   #1013
quantran is offline quantran  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to quantran Send a message via MSN to quantran Send a message via Yahoo to quantran
If you use a 600:600 transformer why not connect dirrectly to the raw Vout? Isolation is only useful for those who need such feature (pro gears use it a lot but not really needed for home use). Most preamps with a balanced input also have single end inputs.
Old 18th February 2017, 08:51 AM   #1014
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantran View Post
Most preamps with a balanced input also have single end inputs.
And a balanced, differential input can of course perfectly well be driven by an unbalanced signal - the input doesn't care.
Old 18th February 2017, 08:51 AM   #1015
Curious Fitz is offline Curious Fitz
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you use a 600:600 transformer why not connect dirrectly to the raw Vout?
Yes - the raw output was my original suggestion to keep things 'pure' (but I'm a mere newbie!) - however, you mentioned:

Quote:
If we use a transformer here, it only acts as a low pass filter and there is no other benefit. I think this DAC doesn't need more filtering.
?

In your opinion, if adding to the raw output, what sort (if any) of transformer would you suggest?
Old 18th February 2017, 09:47 AM   #1016
batteryman is offline batteryman  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Fitz View Post
Aha! So, out of interest/curiosity (thus the name) - if you were to add an output transformer to the raw output, would a 640 Ohm to 640 Ohm transformer be a good choice...?
If you want to use a transformer then use a Bifilar wound balanced type connected to the balanced outputs with no ground connection.

I use a Sowter 9545 for the simple reason that bifilar winding means the common mode rejection is high so any unwanted common mode noise on the output of a dac cancels. It is this, just as much as noisy ground isolation that is the reason for using a transformer in my opinion.

Sowter Type 9545 DAC INTERFACE TRANSFORMER
Old 18th February 2017, 10:21 AM   #1017
Curious Fitz is offline Curious Fitz
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batteryman View Post
If you want to use a transformer then use a Bifilar wound balanced type connected to the balanced outputs with no ground connection.

I use a Sowter 9545 for the simple reason that bifilar winding means the common mode rejection is high so any unwanted common mode noise on the output of a dac cancels. It is this, just as much as noisy ground isolation that is the reason for using a transformer in my opinion.

Sowter Type 9545 DAC INTERFACE TRANSFORMER
Very interesting batteryman

What about from the raw output please? If I wanted to use that output, what would your suggestions be please?
Old 18th February 2017, 10:41 AM   #1018
batteryman is offline batteryman  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Very interesting batteryman

What about from the raw output please? If I wanted to use that output, what would your suggestions be please?
The transformer may work on the raw outputs but 640R output impedance will affect the frequency response because the 9545 is designed for low impedance dac outputs.
Old 18th February 2017, 11:35 AM   #1019
RollE2k is offline RollE2k  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
THD, IM, and limited frequency range are the main downsides. Galvanic isolation is the only real upside. Do you need that?
Limited fequency rangers is really not a problem with a good transformer like LL1690, check datasheet.
Also if THD is what matters most, then why are we even looking at a R-2R dac? At least that is the way i have feel about audio all the time..

I have a pre-amp with both input and output transformer (k&k audio style linestage) sounds wonderful, and i have not yet found a reason to replace it.

There is often alot to get from galvaniserad isolation when it comes to current flows.

What i'm trying to say is that people shouldnt be so fast to dismiss transformers without even trying then.
Old 18th February 2017, 11:42 AM   #1020
quantran is offline quantran  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to quantran Send a message via MSN to quantran Send a message via Yahoo to quantran
Quote:
Yes - the raw output was my original suggestion to keep things 'pure' (but I'm a mere newbie!) - however, you mentioned:

?

In your opinion, if adding to the raw output, what sort (if any) of transformer would you suggest?
No, I do not suggest any transformer. I am not sure why you read that I suggest to use transformers. I think it's best to add a buffer, solid state or tube depending on your preference.

Soekris' DAC implementationsHide this!Advertise here!